Author Topic: Iraq demands "very clear" U.S. troop timeline  (Read 1711 times)

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
Iraq demands "very clear" U.S. troop timeline
« on: August 10, 2008, 09:41:35 AM »
Iraq demands "very clear" U.S. troop timeline

By Mohammed AbbasSun Aug 10, 9:26 AM ET

The United States must provide a "very clear timeline" to withdraw its troops from Iraq as part of an agreement allowing them to stay beyond this year, Iraqi Foreign Minister Hoshiyar Zebari said on Sunday.

It was the strongest public assertion yet that Iraq is demanding a timeline. U.S. President George W. Bush has long resisted setting a firm schedule for pulling troops out of Iraq, although last month the White House began speaking of a general "time horizon" and "aspirational goals" to withdraw.

Iraq's leaders have become more confident of their ability to provide security on their own as the country has become safer. But bombings, which killed at least nine people on Sunday, were a reminder that it is still a violent place.

In an interview with Reuters, Zebari said the agreement, including the timeline, was "very close" and would probably be presented to the Iraqi parliament in early September.

Asked if Iraq would accept a document that did not include dates for a withdrawal, Zebari said: "No, no. Definitely there has to be a very clear timeline."

"The talks are still ongoing. There's been a great deal of progress. The deal is very close. It is about to be closed," Zebari said of the agreement, which will replace a U.N. Security Council resolution authorizing the U.S. presence, which expires at the end of this year.

A sticking point in the negotiations is Washington's wish that its troops be immune from Iraqi law. In July, Iraq's deputy speaker of parliament told Reuters lawmakers would likely veto any a deal if this condition were granted.

Other hurdles include the power of the U.S. military to detain Iraqi citizens, and their authority to conduct military operations, Zebari said.

"Our negotiators have really found compromises on all these issues."

ASSERTIVE STANCE

He would not be drawn on the precise dates that Iraqi negotiators are seeking for withdrawal, saying the document was not yet final. Iraqi officials have said they would like to see all combat troops out by October 2010.

An agreement that included that date would require the Bush administration effectively to accept a timeline almost identical to the one proposed by Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama, who opposed the 2003 invasion.

"You may hear many dates, but I caution you not to take any of these dates until you get the final document," Zebari said.

Iraq has taken an increasingly assertive stance in negotiations with the United States after Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki's forces scored military victories against militia groups this year, giving the government a confidence boost.

The high price of oil means the Iraqi treasury has more money for reconstruction projects than it can figure out how to spend, and violence is at a four-year low.

Still, U.S. commanders say they worry that a hasty withdrawal could allow violence to resume.

A suicide bomber blew up a bomb-laden minibus in the town of Khanaqin north of Baghdad, killing three people and wounding at least 20 on Sunday. Five roadside bomb attacks in Baghdad on Sunday killed a total of six people and wounded at least 26.

Iraqi politics have been paralysed by a dispute over the northern city of Kirkuk, which Kurds claim as the capital of their autonomous homeland. The issues threatens to stoke ethnic tensions between the city's Kurds, Arabs and ethnic Turkmen.

That quarrel scuppered a law needed to allow provincial elections across the country, despite intensive lobbying by the United States and United Nations to reach a deal.
!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Iraq demands "very clear" U.S. troop timeline
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 11:22:38 AM »
The United States must provide a "very clear timeline" to withdraw its troops from Iraq as part of an agreement allowing them to stay beyond this year, Iraqi Foreign Minister Hoshiyar Zebari said on Sunday.

2 weeks ago, it was defended as "mistranslated".

They're being crystal clear now.  GTFO.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 08:54:03 PM »
They want a very clear timeline publicly, but privately do you really believe Iraq wants all of Americas military support out by a specific date when pre- surge the country was on the verge of collapse? Its political musical chairs. If Obama is elected their barganing position becomes better so obviously they're going to negotiate with more confidence. If McCain is elected they know they'll have to bend to our will in negotiations. With public opinion on Obamas side and Bush on the way out, all this amounts to is a bunch of meaningless rhetoric contingent upon the election.

PS- You really need to stop posting Op-ed pieces

Iraq has taken an increasingly assertive stance in negotiations with the United States after Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki's forces scored military victories against militia groups this year, giving the government a confidence boost.

Ummm al-Maliki's forces or American/ Coalition forces with the assistance of Malikis forces?

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 05:12:41 AM »

PS- You really need to stop posting Op-ed pieces

You really need to suck my left nut.
!

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 09:12:48 AM »
What a mature comeback. Its right up there with mother jokes and "I know you are but what am I."

I'll play along though--

If your mother took your left nut out of her mouth, maybe I'd be able to suck your left nut.

::)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 09:22:20 AM »
They want a very clear timeline publicly, but privately do you really believe Iraq wants

You can suppose all you want.

Their govt is telling our govt, and telling the world, that they would like IN WRITING the date when we get the F out of their country.

You can try to second-guess their motives and what they *really* want.

But your believe would fall under "conspiracy theory".  You believe something not supported by any evidence.  Call up Alex Jones and tell him to put you on the show.  You believe something that neither their nor our govt is saying... don't forget to wear your tinfoil hat!

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 09:57:23 AM »
They want a very clear timeline publicly, but privately do you really believe Iraq wants

You can suppose all you want.

Their govt is telling our govt, and telling the world, that they would like IN WRITING the date when we get the F out of their country.

You can try to second-guess their motives and what they *really* want.

But your believe would fall under "conspiracy theory".  You believe something not supported by any evidence.  Call up Alex Jones and tell him to put you on the show.  You believe something that neither their nor our govt is saying... don't forget to wear your tinfoil hat!

LOL yea but iran is just saber rattleing right? LOL

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 10:07:24 AM »
LOL yea but iran is just saber rattleing right? LOL

ALL Iran is doing is saber rattling.

And it might actually get them in serious trouble.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 10:15:40 AM »
ALL Iran is doing is saber rattling.

And it might actually get them in serious trouble.
my point is that 240 has assumed that iran is saber rattleing while their actions and words say otherwise...but buys into the idea that Iraq wants us out without question knowing what would probably happen if we pulled out.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 10:26:57 AM »
my point is that 240 has assumed that iran is saber rattleing while their actions and words say otherwise...but buys into the idea that Iraq wants us out without question knowing what would probably happen if we pulled out.

Ok wait, I'm not speaking for 240, but,

Iran actions ARE saber rattling until they attack (which would be suicide for them and they know it)

If we pull out, we will still be very involved in the security of Iraq and Iran knows if they directly get involved in attacking Iraq they will get squashed.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2008, 10:42:38 AM »

Ok wait, I'm not speaking for 240, but,

Iran actions ARE saber rattling until they attack (which would be suicide for them and they know it)

If we pull out, we will still be very involved in the security of Iraq and Iran knows if they directly get involved in attacking Iraq they will get squashed.
while i understand what your saying and why your saying it i seriously doubt you believe all the tapes and letters from bin laden pre 9/11 are considered saber rattleing, probably more along the lines of warnings.

Do you believe that iraq would be able to govern itself and protect itself without US soldiers on the ground?   

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2008, 11:39:58 AM »
while i understand what your saying and why your saying it i seriously doubt you believe all the tapes and letters from bin laden pre 9/11 are considered saber rattleing, probably more along the lines of warnings.

Yes, they were warnings or threats.  Either way what a country's government does and what a in hiding terrorists does are do different things in that regard.

Do you believe that iraq would be able to govern itself and protect itself without US soldiers on the ground?   

I believe there will always be a US military presence of some sort in Iraq.  Just like in S. Korea or in Germany that will be used as a deterrent for attack.  That practice has worked successfully.  what Iraq is doing now is establishing it's independence and validity as a government to it's people by publicly saying the US needs to get out.  But the US will never fully get out.   they know that and we know that.  It's an issue of 150K in there now versus leaving a division or 2 there.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2008, 01:08:45 PM »
240 there is no conspiracy theory, if you bothered to read or paste what came after what you quoted, I clearly outline why I believe what I believe. Brutal and poor attempt at trying to " catch me " using some of the insults I have hurled at other people. Re-read what I wrote and let it sink in.

Beyond that, there have been 3 seperate occasions in the past month or two where allegedly Iraq wanted a clear date for withdrawl ( which Obama pounced on and Al Maliki said he was misquoted), then the Iraqi position became vague ( US can pull out when it is clear the government doesnt need coalition help, which has been McCain's position), now they want a definite withdrawl again and this is all happening with the backdrop of the presidential elections and negotiations happening between the Iraqi gov't and the lame duck Bush administrsation.

No conspiracy theory dipshit, just the facts.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2008, 01:16:50 PM »
Yes, they were warnings or threats.  Either way what a country's government does and what a in hiding terrorists does are do different things in that regard.

I believe there will always be a US military presence of some sort in Iraq.  Just like in S. Korea or in Germany that will be used as a deterrent for attack.  That practice has worked successfully.  what Iraq is doing now is establishing it's independence and validity as a government to it's people by publicly saying the US needs to get out.  But the US will never fully get out.   they know that and we know that.  It's an issue of 150K in there now versus leaving a division or 2 there.
agreed and agreed

my point was though that ppl seem to see straight through the iranian's actions and words but not the iraqis its nothing more than posturing and puffing their chest out, if we packed up and left tomorrow they would shit a brick.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2008, 01:26:47 PM »

The situation in Iraq is very different from Germany and South Korea (both of which are different from each other too).  I can easily see the US being forced out of Iraq at some point.   What's to stop the sovereign government of Iraq from telling us to pack up and leave.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2008, 03:18:05 PM »
Alot of what is being said is for domestic consumption, and should be taken with a grain of salt. Its good that they are standing on their own feet on many areas. The military and police are a few years off. I think we'll be mostly gone by 2011.
L

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2008, 03:48:25 PM »
The situation in Iraq is very different from Germany and South Korea (both of which are different from each other too).  I can easily see the US being forced out of Iraq at some point.   What's to stop the sovereign government of Iraq from telling us to pack up and leave.

I disagree.   We aren't leaving.  It wouldn't make any sense for us to completely leave and it would be a lot more risky for the existing Iraqi government to have us gone 100%