Author Topic: Best career field to make serious money? Degree?  (Read 12960 times)

boonstack

• Getbig IV
  • watch out ladies... chaos is on the prowl
Best career field to make serious money? Degree?
« on: August 10, 2008, 01:30:44 PM »
Not interested in MED or LAW

But, B.A. in business, or lib arts just dont seem to grant the oppurtunity to "gain entry level employment and work your way up corporate ladder" anymore.

do you have to just have a genuinely unique idea to seperate yourself from the rest? So many sheep out there that just m-f 40 hrs and try to get middle management by time they are 35 and make modest 80-100,000 by mid-late 40s.

what do i gotta do to be a meelyunair

bigmc

• Getbig V
Re: Best career field to make serious money? Degree?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 01:31:27 PM »
g4p
T

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 01:31:43 PM »
g4p
Z

elite_lifter

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 01:34:15 PM »
FINANCE.

End of thread.
I am a big baby

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 01:35:58 PM »
Dealing drugs , make your own hours great money win/win situation

bodybuilder1234

• Getbig IV
  • Manny Pacquiao KO Floyd 1
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 01:38:57 PM »
be an entreuprener, go into the housing market, be your own boss

mitchyboy

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 01:39:29 PM »
 I once read that of all the people in the USA who are financially independent, 95% of them made there money in realestate. Not so sure about now though ???

boonstack

• Getbig IV
  • watch out ladies... chaos is on the prowl
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 01:42:30 PM »
my dad develops waterfront property here on gulf coast and has 1.7 million to pay back to bank. Renewal coming up in a month and the bank is prolly going to say find financing elsewhere. Perfect area for katrina lovers too! I was thinking about it but the insurance prices around this area are causing some distress for many buyers.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 01:44:14 PM »
stick around getbig. sooner or later youll turn into a shredded muscle hunk millionaire benchpressing champion like the rest of us
Z

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008, 01:45:33 PM »
I once read that of all the people in the USA who are financially independent, 95% of them made there money in realestate. Not so sure about now though ???

yeah 4 years ago when everyone ran out to grab their real eastate license, I think all the smart people knew that, that was the end of that bubble, and sure enough..

my dad develops waterfront property here on gulf coast and has 1.7 million to pay back to bank. Renewal coming up in a month and the bank is prolly going to say find financing elsewhere. Perfect area for katrina lovers too! I was thinking about it but the insurance prices around this area are causing some distress for many buyers.

I feel ya, it is hurting the contractors alot around my area, I drove past an area development waterfront also I might add, and some of the houses have been sitting on the market for well past 4 years, that had to hurt.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2008, 01:49:48 PM »
Not interested in MED or LAW

But, B.A. in business, or lib arts just dont seem to grant the oppurtunity to "gain entry level employment and work your way up corporate ladder" anymore.

do you have to just have a genuinely unique idea to seperate yourself from the rest? So many sheep out there that just m-f 40 hrs and try to get middle management by time they are 35 and make modest 80-100,000 by mid-late 40s.

what do i gotta do to be a meelyunair

BA in accounting with a CPA seems to be the best way to enter with a decent starting salary these days.
I have been in teaching for 2 decades now but I would choose that if I was starting out and not knocking on the door of age 50 now .
Howard

bodybuilder1234

• Getbig IV
  • Manny Pacquiao KO Floyd 1
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2008, 01:52:39 PM »
who the hell would want to be an accountant though?
Money isnt everything

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2008, 01:53:38 PM »
who the hell would want to be an accountant though?
Money isnt everything
he did ask about an entry level chance to make decent career and the path that follows didn't he?

elite_lifter

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2008, 01:55:07 PM »
BA in accounting with a CPA seems to be the best way to enter with a decent starting salary these days.
I have been in teaching for 2 decades now but I would choose that if I was starting out and not knocking on the door of age 50 now .
Howard

BAHHHHHHHHHH, crap job, crap money, just like teaching. If you have the drive Financial Advising is close to the top of the highest earning potential.
I am a big baby

divcom

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies.
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2008, 01:58:33 PM »
Engineering.  You'll be making 90-125K in 7-10 yrs.  Probably start off at 45-50K.  Not sure if a Masters is necessary...given my two cousins dont have one with their Eng degrees.     

BSN (Nursing).  You can pocket 90-100K traveling but Docs are dicks.  Demand will be about 500K over the next 10yrs.
Oh...Monica!

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2008, 01:59:50 PM »
Engineering.  You'll be making 90-125K in 7-10 yrs.  Probably start off at 45-50K.  Not sure if a Masters is necessary...given my two cousins dont have one with their Eng degrees.     
Yeah another great choice but oustide of business , no matter still a great career path.

divcom

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2008, 02:03:32 PM »
Ultrasound and Xray tech working via agencies.  You can make $30-$40 per and travel 13-52 week assignment. If you like..can be hired on full-time.  Know a guy who got a gig in Hawaii for $75K.
Oh...Monica!

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2008, 02:08:24 PM »
g4p

;D

In almost any field, who you know is what matters.  If you know the right people they can act as patrons and open doors for you that anonymous people almost never have access to.  For example, if you know the right people on Wall Street, with a degree from a mediocre school you could be a hedge fund manager in a relatively short period of time pulling down serious cash.

The people at the top (in almost any field) make big money;  they key is knowing them and finding favor with them.  The best way to do this is to be born into the right family.  Given that you have to ask this question you apparently screwed that up already.  :-\

divcom

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2008, 02:09:05 PM »
Yeah another great choice but oustide of business , no matter still a great career path.

The response is to give others ideas also.  He may need a career change.  I started in IT and ended up in Grad Science.

Also...look for ex-pat type jobs aboard if you aint afraid to leave home.  Management and business construction skills are always needed.
Oh...Monica!

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2008, 02:30:10 PM »
You can not go wrong in real estate.  If you can afford to keep it, at some time it will go up.  It is when you can't afford to keep it and are forced to sell or you can't make payments is when it is bad.  But, if you can outlast the bad period then it is the best.  Saying that, I don't own shit cause when I had all my money I wasn't thinking about the future I was thinking about having a great time right now.  My bad.  But, things are changing and property is what I will be buying a lot of.

elite_lifter

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2008, 02:32:14 PM »
Ultrasound and Xray tech working via agencies.  You can make $30-$40 per and travel 13-52 week assignment. If you like..can be hired on full-time.  Know a guy who got a gig in Hawaii for $75K.
Thread title, serious money. If you think 75K= serious money, you have no clue what serious money is!
I am a big baby

Devon97

• Getbig V
  • Keith lives on...
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2008, 02:33:02 PM »
You can not go wrong in real estate.  If you can afford to keep it, at some time it will go up.  It is when you can't afford to keep it and are forced to sell or you can't make payments is when it is bad.  But, if you can outlast the bad period then it is the best.  Saying that, I don't own shit cause when I had all my money I wasn't thinking about the future I was thinking about having a great time right now.  My bad.  But, things are changing and property is what I will be buying a lot of.

Real Estate is a mess right now.

Devon97

• Getbig V
  • Keith lives on...
The Rise of the Super Rich!
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2008, 02:34:02 PM »
The rise of the super rich in this nation in the last 10 years has been:

Hedge Fund Mgr.

The RedMeatKid

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2008, 02:44:11 PM »
Used car sales...find a dealership in an area with a lot of minorities/immigrants with shaky credit.  You should be able to pull a couple of g's a week plus.  You will always have dough in your pocket and have strippers around you.
(

elite_lifter

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2008, 02:47:35 PM »
Used car sales...find a dealership in an area with a lot of minorities/immigrants with shaky credit.  You should be able to pull a couple of g's a week plus.  You will always have dough in your pocket and have strippers around you.
::), is this what you do.  ::)
I am a big baby