Author Topic: Can someone put the Russia/Georgia beef into perspective for me?  (Read 1564 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Look, I'm trying like heck to avoid politics lately.  And the olympic coverage means Russia isn't on cnn much.

Can someone explain the events so far in terms of "If it was the USA?" 

Like, what nation Georgia is in relation, their history, connections, etc.

I'm not strong in this area and a nice primer would help.  thanks!

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
Re: Can someone put the Russia/Georgia beef into perspective for me?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 04:28:48 PM »
Putin hates Peaches and Coca~Cola!   ;D
w

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
  • Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 04:36:19 PM »
Georgia is an old soviet state. They got independence.

A section of the country now wants independence.

NATO backed the break up of Serbian countries, Russia is trying to do the same here (to make a point).
الاسلام هو شيطانية

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 04:46:39 PM »

NATO backed the break up of Serbian countries, Russia is trying to do the same here (to make a point).

thanks nordic.

So they're somethng like puerto rico is to usa?

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 05:00:29 PM »
Not really the same thing, Puerto Rico has never been truly incorporated.

It would be like California successfully gaining independence from the rest of the US, and then in the future northern cali wanting to separate from the rest of California and become independent itself.
الاسلام هو شيطانية

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 05:50:43 PM »
Not really the same thing, Puerto Rico has never been truly incorporated.

It would be like California successfully gaining independence from the rest of the US, and then in the future northern cali wanting to separate from the rest of California and become independent itself.

thanks.  I didn't know that.  Does russia have jurisdiction, or historic precedence for capping them?  What started it (in a sentence or two - I saw pages of it and didn't have time).  Russia set them up to atack a small envoy?

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 06:03:29 PM »
I guess informing oneself is too much work...

By the way, can someone do my laundry?

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 04:31:11 AM »
thanks.  I didn't know that.  Does russia have jurisdiction, or historic precedence for capping them?  What started it (in a sentence or two - I saw pages of it and didn't have time).  Russia set them up to atack a small envoy?

Russia no longer has jurisdiction over them, but of course there is motivation in aggression because of the history and subsequent independence. But, this doesn't mean Russia is the guilty party here, it's more complicated than that. Although you and me don't hear about it this was has been brewing for almost a decade.

Basically Russia came to the call of South Ossetia because Georgia sent in troops to silence the separatism.

You can't blame Russia: Georgia seemed to think it was OK when they rebelled against Russia to gain independence, NATO OK'd the Serbian split (which is potentially more damning as non-muslims are moving out of Kosovo due to islamism) so Western Nations really can't criticise.

So basically:
Georgian troops try to quell separatism -> Fighting starts -> Russia come to the aid of South Ossetia -> War starts
الاسلام هو شيطانية

Eldon

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 06:31:15 AM »
Russia no longer has jurisdiction over them, but of course there is motivation in aggression because of the history and subsequent independence. But, this doesn't mean Russia is the guilty party here, it's more complicated than that. Although you and me don't hear about it this was has been brewing for almost a decade.

Basically Russia came to the call of South Ossetia because Georgia sent in troops to silence the separatism.

You can't blame Russia: Georgia seemed to think it was OK when they rebelled against Russia to gain independence, NATO OK'd the Serbian split (which is potentially more damning as non-muslims are moving out of Kosovo due to islamism) so Western Nations really can't criticise.

So basically:
Georgian troops try to quell separatism -> Fighting starts -> Russia come to the aid of South Ossetia -> War starts

Nordic,
I usually agree with most of your post on GetBig, but not this time.

The facts :
Russia wont allow Chechnya to break away from them (Russia) and become independent, yet Russia demands that another Country (Georgia)  must allow part of their land to break away and become independent.  Hypocrisy at its finest!

Russia is trying to show the other FSU's what happens to a Country that is pro-west and wants to become part of NATO.  They are currently doing the same to Ukraine by tripling the price of natural Gas, as a penalty for electing a pro-west President. And doing this after first having him  poisoned.

Also just like the ex-KGB guy that Putin had poisoned in England, they wanted to show the world that no place is too far, that they cant get someone who they think is a threat. 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 06:32:58 AM »

very lacking.

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2008, 07:03:14 AM »

Nordic,
I usually agree with most of your post on GetBig, but not this time.

The facts :
Russia wont allow Chechnya to break away from them (Russia) and become independent, yet Russia demands that another Country (Georgia)  must allow part of their land to break away and become independent.  Hypocrisy at its finest!

Russia is trying to show the other FSU's what happens to a Country that is pro-west and wants to become part of NATO.  They are currently doing the same to Ukraine by tripling the price of natural Gas, as a penalty for electing a pro-west President. And doing this after first having him  poisoned.

Also just like the ex-KGB guy that Putin had poisoned in England, they wanted to show the world that no place is too far, that they cant get someone who they think is a threat. 

I should declare bias, I have interests in Russia (I have friends there) and I like the place very much; this of course skews my opinion.

Yes, Russia is hypocritical, but so is Georgia and NATO due to the same reasons. It's an egotistical war for them, proving points.

Not for one second do I think Russia are innocent.

very lacking.

Expand on it then ??? ::)
الاسلام هو شيطانية

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2008, 07:05:03 AM »
I should declare bias, I have interests in Russia (I have friends there) and I like the place very much; this of course skews my opinion.

Yes, Russia is hypocritical, but so is Georgia and NATO due to the same reasons. It's an egotistical war for them, proving points.

Not for one second do I think Russia are innocent.

Expand on it then ??? ::)
I have been ::)

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
الاسلام هو شيطانية

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2008, 07:12:02 AM »
Let Allah sort them out. God is great. ALLAHU AKBAR!!!!!!!

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2008, 03:20:43 PM »
Its funny this is not getting more play here, this is extremely serious. We've backed these guys for years and now basically they're getting crushed. I'd love to see them fight an insurgency and bleed the russians dry. We'd be very good at kicking the shit out of these bastards.
L

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2008, 03:24:27 PM »
Its funny this is not getting more play here, this is extremely serious. We've backed these guys for years and now basically they're getting crushed. I'd love to see them fight an insurgency and bleed the russians dry. We'd be very good at kicking the shit out of these bastards.

CNN said that russia will install a new regime, and this new regime will control the oil, and where it flows and to whom under what terms, may change.  Is this true?

Where does it go now?

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2008, 03:26:36 PM »
No idea, Europe gets alot of this oil and does not want Russia dictatating the tewrms, yet they whine and moan in the UN
L

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2008, 03:52:55 PM »
russia has always been a hard sonofa bitch.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2008, 04:09:17 PM »
CNN said that russia will install a new regime, and this new regime will control the oil, and where it flows and to whom under what terms, may change.  Is this true?

Where does it go now?

Invading a country and taking control of the oil?  what a novel concept.   :D

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2008, 04:24:34 PM »

Invading a country and taking control of the oil?  what a novel concept.   :D

LOL... I about spit up my vodka this morning when I heard Bush demanding Russia call a 'truce' and not invade their capital and take control of their oil ministry, which is exactly where the ruskie men are heading.

hahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaa a