Author Topic: How come the US sucks so bad in olympic weightlifting?  (Read 7118 times)

Hereford

• Getbig V
How come the US sucks so bad in olympic weightlifting?
« on: August 11, 2008, 09:07:23 PM »
Why does the US never win? Are we a nation of weaklings?

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Re: How come the US sucks so bad in olympic weightlifting?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 09:07:58 PM »
They have better steroids. :(
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

elite_lifter

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 09:08:50 PM »
Why don't you get in there and show those weak mofo's whats up. ::)
I am a big baby

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 09:23:29 PM »
Why don't you get in there and show those weak mofo's whats up. ::)

Never said I'd win any olympic contests. Just seems strange the #1 nation in everything would not be good in picking up heavy things.

elite_lifter

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 09:25:18 PM »
Never said I'd win any olympic contests. Just seems strange the #1 nation in everything would not be good in picking up heavy things.
Judging by the Olympics we are not No.1 in everything.
I am a big baby

JOCKTHEGLIDE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 09:58:12 PM »
last time I checked my friiiend,,,,steroids were illegal in states and legal in others  ::)

gib

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 10:00:41 PM »
As an Olympic weightlifter, I can give you the answer to this.

1 - the countries that do well in general have a larger pool of atheletes who train full time. In the US, weightlifting is not, in general is not treated as a "serious sport", a much smaller number of people compete.

2 - the countries that do well in general have better training methods. The typical US weightlifter, either trains once a day (often after a full day at work), and some national level competitors only train 3-4 times a week. The countries that do well in general have in general 1-2 training sessions per day, 5-6 time a week, and some even have 4-5 training sessions a day. Yes really -I know this for a fact - for the countries such as Bulgaria (unfortunately their whole team did not compete this year) each training session is very intense, and might last 20-45 mins. Eg morning session 9am 20 mins shrugs/high pulls. 12pm 30 mins half squat snatches, 3pm 30 mins jerks, 6pm, 45 mins heavy deep squat session.

3 - the countries that do well have really great coaches. They outdo the US in training technique, stretching/flexibility training, lift training, but also in using training related exercises, such as jumps, as well as recovery therapies such as massage/sauna etc.

4. the countries that do well in general have people who can really just eat, sleep, train, and recover. 100% focused on creating a body that will achieve record lifts.

5. the countries that do well in general actually select people who are suitable to be future stars at an early age. Body shape, bone density, speed, flexibility, explosiveness, strength etc, whereas for the US, there is much less of a national selection process.

6. the countries that do well in general have way more female competitors. In the US, its really still pretty rare for a women to be a weightlifter.

OK, and now finally a point on performance enhancement. Unfortunately (depending what view you take on this) the US is now pretty strict on drug testing, which makes it pretty hard for competitors to use substances in a way that gives them a significant benefit without getting caught.

Compare this to countries such as China, Greece, Iran, Poland, Russia, Bulgaria, India, etc, where athletes can take (or are given) what they need. They key substances for a weightlifter are, depending upon age, sex, and stage of development, testosterone, winstrol, and increasingly GH. (Other popular substances, are dbol and also deca, among others).

In the countries that do well in general, an athelete can, leading up to a major contest do a strength phase for half year test/gh, and then spend the next 3 months moving into a competition phases test/gh/win, and then the last 3 months in contest build up take gh, and come in "clean". This is pretty much how its done right now. The athletes can stay hidden away from testing by avoiding international contests, and meanwhile these countries send up an coming younger competitors to international contest who are clean, while their true stars are kept at home to aviod testing.

So, this is how its done, and why the US sux at weightlifting.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 10:05:19 PM »

1 - the countries that do well in general have a larger pool of atheletes who train full time. In the US, weightlifting is not, in general is not treated as a "serious sport", a much smaller number of people compete.

2 - the countries that do well in general have better training methods. The typical US weightlifter, either trains once a day (often after a full day at work), and some national level competitors only train 3-4 times a week. The countries that do well in general have in general 1-2 training sessions per day, 5-6 time a week, and some even have 4-5 training sessions a day. Yes really -I know this for a fact - for the countries such as Bulgaria (unfortunately their whole team did not compete this year) each training session is very intense, and might last 20-45 mins. Eg morning session 9am 20 mins shrugs/high pulls. 12pm 30 mins half squat snatches, 3pm 30 mins jerks, 6pm, 45 mins heavy deep squat session.

3 - the countries that do well have really great coaches. They outdo the US in training technique, stretching/flexibility training, lift training, but also in using training related exercises, such as jumps, as well as recovery therapies such as massage/sauna etc.

4. the countries that do well in general have people who can really just eat, sleep, train, and recover. 100% focused on creating a body that will achieve record lifts.

5. the countries that do well in general actually select people who are suitable to be future stars at an early age. Body shape, bone density, speed, flexibility, explosiveness, strength etc, whereas for the US, there is much less of a national selection process.

6. the countries that do well in general have way more female competitors. In the US, its really still pretty rare for a women to be a weightlifter.

OK, and now finally a point on performance enhancement. Unfortunately (depending what view you take on this) the US is now pretty strict on drug testing, which makes it pretty hard for competitors to use substances in a way that gives them a significant benefit without getting caught.

Compare this to countries such as China, Greece, Iran, Poland, Russia, Bulgaria, India, etc, where athletes can take (or are given) what they need. They key substances for a weightlifter are, depending upon age, sex, and stage of development, testosterone, winstrol, and increasingly GH. (Other popular substances, are dbol and also deca, among others).

In the countries that do well in general, an athelete can, leading up to a major contest do a strength phase for half year test/gh, and then spend the next 3 months moving into a competition phases test/gh/win, and then the last 3 months in contest build up take gh, and come in "clean". This is pretty much how its done right now. The athletes can stay hidden away from testing by avoiding international contests, and meanwhile these countries send up an coming younger competitors to international contest who are clean, while their true stars are kept at home to aviod testing.

meltdown  ::)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 10:09:36 PM »

So, you're an "olympic" weightlifter in what sense?  You do the C&J sometimes in the gym? ::)

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 10:09:43 PM »
Judging by the Olympics we are not No.1 in everything.
I heard Elite Lifter is #1 in the pole smoking event???

Any truth to that Elite??

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2008, 10:11:39 PM »
So, you're an "olympic" weightlifter in what sense?  You do the C&J sometimes in the gym? ::)
Did you read that shit or are you guessing? ;D
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

elite_lifter

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2008, 10:12:42 PM »
I heard Elite Lifter is #1 in the pole smoking event???

Any truth to that Elite??
Hey FatAss the way you follow me around Everyone knows there are things. Get Lost DoughBoy!
I am a big baby

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2008, 10:13:58 PM »
Hey FatAss the way you follow me around Everyone knows there are things. Get Lost DoughBoy!

Hey, just asking a simple question-why so bitchy tonight????

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2008, 10:15:37 PM »
Did you read that shit or are you guessing? ;D

honestly I didn't read past the first line ;D

Why...does he say he's an oly lifter?  Fucck I better delete my posts ;D ;D

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2008, 10:18:29 PM »

Good info.

I noticed alot of US athletes are not as muscular as many other countries namely China, in which their athletes appear to be not only muscular but conditioned.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2008, 10:18:32 PM »
honestly I didn't read past the first line ;D

Why...does he say he's an oly lifter?  Fucck I better delete my posts ;D ;D
;D
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

gib

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2008, 10:22:10 PM »
Guys - yes, to clarify, I am an Olympic weightlifter. The term "Olympic Weightlifting" refers to the sport of competitive weightlifting, as compared to guys who lift weights for body building, powerlifting, and strongman contests etc). I have competed at national, and international events, but am not at this year's Olympics (or maybe I am there in some capacity, but in any case let me clarify that I am not competing in this years Olympics.).

I love the sport, and can answer any questions you guys have.

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2008, 10:24:17 PM »
Guys - yes, to clarify, I am an Olympic weightlifter. The term "Olympic Weightlifting" refers to the sport of competitive weightlifting, as compared to guys who lift weights for body building, powerlifting, and strongman contests etc). I have competed at national, and international events, but am not at this year's Olympics (or maybe I am there in some capacity, but in any case let me clarify that I am not competing in this years Olympics.).

::)

cross-of-iron

• Getbig IV
  • TRIBALISMO BLANCO
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2008, 10:33:14 PM »

He's pretty much spot on. What answer are you guys looking for? It's no secret that eastern training has always been
better than ours. As far as drugs go we are no more innocent than anybody else.

honest

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2008, 10:33:38 PM »

good post, makes a lot of sense, what sort of dosages do thees guys do, for instance how much test and gh during the strength phase.

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2008, 11:01:10 PM »

So how come we can't do that here?

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2008, 11:02:12 PM »
So how come we can't do that here?

The better question is, why doesn't this stud post his real name and real meet lifts if he's gonna make claims like this about himself?

gib

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2008, 11:21:08 PM »
Pandaemonium - its pretty obvious isn't it? If you are an athlete making claims about substances and who takes what in a sport where there is a higher than ever pressure to compete clean, you wold have to be pretty brave to name "out" yourself, especially when you and your close friends are all still competing. This can be done in by the guys in pro bodybuilding, but its a very different story for any Olympic sport.

In terms of my personal best lifts, well I can tell you, but firstly you would probably not believe it (especially if you are a a bodybuilder and not a lifter the lifts would sound unbelievable), but in any case, without a name, it could always be suggested that I am making the lifts up anyhow. I can tell you that there are some big body builders where I train, who are amazed pretty much on a daily basis with what we lift. Eg you might get a bodybuilder doing partial squat reps on 120-140kg, thinking this is heavy, whereas us lifters are doing deep squats of 180kg upwards for reps (some guys going over as 250kg for reps).

To Honest, who asked about dosages, I cannot of course speak for everyone, but in general, I would have to say that the dosages are honestly less that what bodybuilder takes. Its pretty amazing what a combo of test/winstrol and/or GH can do, even at pretty moderate dosages, when combined with real heavy intense training. 

In terms of massive dosages, I can honestly say that of the people I know who have done massive dosages, they tend to be either bodybuilders, or your typical bloated up and bulky powerlifters and the guys who sometimes work part-time as bouncers and have a combo of fat/bulk and muscle. The lifters tend to be pretty sensible, both because they want to keep their gains at the time they compete, and also because its not just about pure size, rather its all about size to weight ratio. So, for me for example, I have moved up more than 15kg in weight since I started, but now I try to keep with my weightclass, as moving another class in terms of weight puts me in a whole new category of guys who can lift more and with higher world and national records etc.

For females, on the whole the dosages again are sensible. Moderate to low use of Winstrol and test. I am certain way less than female bodybuilders and powerlifters.

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2008, 11:29:55 PM »
Pandaemonium - its pretty obvious isn't it? If you are an athlete making claims about substances and who takes what in a sport where there is a higher than ever pressure to compete clean, you wold have to be pretty brave to name "out" yourself, especially when you and your close friends are all still competing. This can be done in by the guys in pro bodybuilding, but its a very different story for any Olympic sport.

In terms of my personal best lifts, well I can tell you, but firstly you would probably not believe it (especially if you are a a bodybuilder and not a lifter the lifts would sound unbelievable), but in any case, without a name, it could always be suggested that I am making the lifts up anyhow. I can tell you that there are some big body builders where I train, who are amazed pretty much on a daily basis with what we lift. Eg you might get a bodybuilder doing partial squat reps on 120-140kg, thinking this is heavy, whereas us lifters are doing deep squats of 180kg upwards for reps (some guys going over as 250kg for reps).

Cool, tell us what your PRs are.  I'm not a scientific oly lifter like yourself, but I have put up some fairly decent "gym" numbers in the clean.  I'd be curious to hear what yours are.  I'll be the first in line to e-shake your hand if you're legit.

gib

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2008, 12:04:12 AM »
Well, first of all, I have a lot of respect for any athlete who incorporates Olympic lifts into their training. Its very common for other athletes to do, so, where I train, we also get hammer and discuss throwers, and shot putters doing some pretty big weights, and also sprinters doing cleans, pulls, and squats, and snatches, so we all know each other pretty well. We also get the occasional body builder who sometimes moves across to hang out with us a bit, and starts doing a bit of training with us (and we are happy to help, although we do jokingly give then a hard time, calling them "mirror boys").

I compete in 94kg category.

Best snatch is 162.5 kg
Best clean and jerk is 195kg.

I can actually clean 220kg, but my jerk is the problem (my legs and back are way stronger than my arms it seems).

To give you feel, the WR for snatch in my class is 188kg, and I honetly think it is theoretically possible I could get close to that one day. My weekness is the C&J, and my immediate aim is just to crack 200kg.

For shrugs, I go as high as 250kg in training. Same with squats (although I can squat more than that). I bench only very rarely, and my benches are not great compared to a powerlifter (I do up reps of 10 up to 140kg pretty easily) and I don't focus too much on that as we believe too much benching will cause tightness in our shoulders and affect flexibility.

For top field athletes, I have seen them do some pretty big cleans (up to 160kg), shrugs (over 200kg) and squats 180kg. The track guys of course go a lot lighter.

For a bodybuilder, I generally see them do cleans with much lighter weights 80-100kg. And there is nothing at all wrong with that!. For them, my key suggestion is to focus on their technique (some have pretty terrible technique) firstly to avoid injury, and secondly because their aim is to build size rather then strength. Also, they tend to be much less flexible than weightlifters. At our gym there is a huge focus on technique, so any bodybuilder wanting to use our weightlifting equipment tends to get real good help from us on his form.

I started at age 14, with, literally, a stick, with a focus on speed and technique, then moved up to a 10 kg bar, and then onto a proper 20kg bar, and up from there onwards....