Author Topic: If it really was a "liberal" media......  (Read 5431 times)

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
Re: If it really was a "liberal" media......
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2008, 05:03:58 PM »
You think the media covers up government activity?  How so? 

What quote of mine are you referring to? 

yes, I think they do, MSM media leaves out details and spins things to the governments advantage.

here is the quote
It's not about what makes news most of the time.  It's how the news is reported. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2008, 05:54:13 PM »
yes, I think they do, MSM media leaves out details and spins things to the governments advantage.

here is the quote

You'd have to give me specific examples of how the media "spins things to the government's advantage."  What I see quite often is the media doing FOIA requests, trying to report on government misconduct, waste, fraud, abuse, etc.  That's one of the valuable functions they serve. 

You took my quote out of context.  I didn't say "it's more important how they give the news."  I was speaking in the context of a liberal media bias.  It's the way the news is reported that shows a liberal bias, not necessarily what makes the news most of the time. 

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2008, 12:31:26 AM »
read about Gary Webb for example.

____

Into The Buzzsaw: 18 Tales Of Media Censorship

http://www.alternet.org/story/12753/?page=entire

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2008, 12:43:58 AM »
You'd have to give me specific examples of how the media "spins things to the government's advantage." 

This Russian conflict.

Or, remember that Israel conflict with lebanon/hez a while back.   CNN would have witnesses in Leb on the phone, and the CNN anchors would counter everything they said.  I mean, there are people reporting - and CNN kept stopping them.  I'm all for a strong ISR as our backup gun in the region.  But CNN was pretty damn one-sided on it.

Yes, cable news changes angles of reporting based upon ad revenue.  I'm glad you see that BB.  But they also "play ball" for bigger national goals.  Might be just their CEOs/editors getting in cool with white house, might be patriotism, etc.  But they do angle stories. 

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2008, 12:47:11 AM »

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2008, 12:51:40 AM »
The Failures of Post-9/11 Media

http://www.alternet.org/mediaculture/29833/?page=entire

FOX news and drudge actually both reported missiles used that day.  Remember the "object" that came from the skiy and clipped the south tower before hitting WTC6?  FOX and drudge both reported a projectile unrelated to the planes had hit WTC6.  A missile would involve someone other than 19 pricks, no?  ;)

FOX news interviewed condi, 5 days after, and Tony Snow got her to admit that there had been a mole in the White House, threatening AF1, AFTER all the hijackers were blown to bits.

They do their job.  Why thehy don't follow up is anyone's guess.

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2008, 12:54:03 AM »
it can be about anything.

some quotes from Gary Webb

"Do we have a free press today? Sure we do. It's free to report all the sex scandals it wants, all the stock market news we can handle, every new health fad that comes down the pike, and every celebrity marriage or divorce that happens. But when it comes to the real down and dirty stuff—stories like Tailwind, the October Surprise, the El Mozote massacre, corporate corruption, or CIA involvement in drug trafficking—that's where we begin to see the limits of our freedoms. In today's media environment, sadly, such stories are not even open for discussion."

- Gary Webb's words from, Into the Buzzsaw

" In seventeen years of doing this, nothing bad had happened to me. I was never fired or threatened with dismissal if I kept looking under rocks. I was winning awards, getting raises, lecturing college classes, appearing on TV shows, So how could I possibly agree with people who were claiming the system didn't work, that it was steered by powerful special interests and corporations, and existed to protect the power elite? Hell, the system worked just fine, as (far as) I could tell"

"... And then I wrote some stories that made me realize how sadly misplaced my bliss had been. The reason I'd enjoyed such smooth sailing for so long hadn't been, as I'd assumed, because I was careful and diligent and good at my job. It turned out to have nothing to do with it. The truth was that, in all those years, I hadn't written anything important enough to suppress."

(Webb, 'The Mighty Wurlitzer Plays On', in Kristina Borjesson, ed., Into The Buzzsaw - Leading Journalists Expose the Myth of a Free Press, Prometheus, 2002, pp.296-7)

"...the one thing that I've learned from this whole experience is, first of all, you can't believe the government -- on anything. And you especially can't believe them when they're talking about important stuff, like this stuff."

- Gary Webb speaking to an audience in Eugene, Oregon, January 16, 1999 about CIA connections to Contra Drug Trafficking

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2008, 02:35:55 PM »
read about Gary Webb for example.

____

Into The Buzzsaw: 18 Tales Of Media Censorship

http://www.alternet.org/story/12753/?page=entire

Unless I missed it, here is what your link says about Gary Webb: 

Other times, like with Gerard Colby's book about the Du Pont family and Gary Webb's San Jose Mercury News series about the CIA's role in the crack epidemic, the bosses are spooked after the fact and withdraw their support from work already published, hanging reporters out to dry.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2008, 02:38:28 PM »
it can be about anything.

some quotes from Gary Webb

"Do we have a free press today? Sure we do. It's free to report all the sex scandals it wants, all the stock market news we can handle, every new health fad that comes down the pike, and every celebrity marriage or divorce that happens. But when it comes to the real down and dirty stuff—stories like Tailwind, the October Surprise, the El Mozote massacre, corporate corruption, or CIA involvement in drug trafficking—that's where we begin to see the limits of our freedoms. In today's media environment, sadly, such stories are not even open for discussion."

- Gary Webb's words from, Into the Buzzsaw

" In seventeen years of doing this, nothing bad had happened to me. I was never fired or threatened with dismissal if I kept looking under rocks. I was winning awards, getting raises, lecturing college classes, appearing on TV shows, So how could I possibly agree with people who were claiming the system didn't work, that it was steered by powerful special interests and corporations, and existed to protect the power elite? Hell, the system worked just fine, as (far as) I could tell"

"... And then I wrote some stories that made me realize how sadly misplaced my bliss had been. The reason I'd enjoyed such smooth sailing for so long hadn't been, as I'd assumed, because I was careful and diligent and good at my job. It turned out to have nothing to do with it. The truth was that, in all those years, I hadn't written anything important enough to suppress."

(Webb, 'The Mighty Wurlitzer Plays On', in Kristina Borjesson, ed., Into The Buzzsaw - Leading Journalists Expose the Myth of a Free Press, Prometheus, 2002, pp.296-7)

"...the one thing that I've learned from this whole experience is, first of all, you can't believe the government -- on anything. And you especially can't believe them when they're talking about important stuff, like this stuff."

- Gary Webb speaking to an audience in Eugene, Oregon, January 16, 1999 about CIA connections to Contra Drug Trafficking

Pretty vague.  What did he say and what specifically did the government do to suppress his writing?