Author Topic: Does Flex Magazine have their stuff together?  (Read 5440 times)

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
Does Flex Magazine have their stuff together?
« on: August 13, 2008, 10:56:15 AM »
Seriously, for being the "official magazine of the IFBB", they sure don't have their shit together.  I haven't seen an issue come out on time for at least the last 6 months.  According to the one with Zane on the cover the new one should have been out Monday, and they haven't even updated their website with the new one, let alone shipped it to stores yet.  And I only know of 2 stores out of about 20 that even carry it anymore. 

And before anybody else says "why buy mags when you have the internet," my legs get too hot reading my laptop when I take a dump.

triple_pickle

• Getbig IV
  • Pull Hard, Move Fast
Re: How long until Flex magazine goes under?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 10:59:10 AM »
the sooner the better

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 11:01:20 AM »
Seriously, for being the "official magazine of the IFBB", they sure don't have their shit together.  I haven't seen an issue come out on time for at least the last 6 months.  According to the one with Zane on the cover the new one should have been out Monday, and they haven't even updated their website with the new one, let alone shipped it to stores yet.  And I only know of 2 stores out of about 20 that even carry it anymore. 

And before anybody else says "why buy mags when you have the internet," my legs get too hot reading my laptop when I take a dump.

Well...being that we just celebrated our 25th anniversary...not anytime soon.

Not only has the Zane cover been out for a while, but the newest one with Jay/ Dex is already out.

Get a subscription...

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 11:02:01 AM »

Not only has the Zane cover been out for a while, but the newest one with Jay/ Dex is already out.

Get a subscription...
AGREE....

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 11:04:36 AM »

Get a subscription...
Yep, got the isssue in the mail weeks ago.
A

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 11:04:50 AM »
3-400 years.
As long as Peter Mc Gough has enough donuts in the office... the train keeps rolling...

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 11:21:48 AM »
I usually take my dumps with my laptop... 8)
I hate the State.

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 11:22:57 AM »
I usually take my dumps with my laptop... 8)

wireless internet connection or phone jack in the bathroom?

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 11:25:00 AM »
Almost every issue of Flex has at least one picture labeled incorrectly as someone it is not, especially in those sections in front of the mag with candid shots.

Very professional.

medz zeppelin

• Getbig IV
  • go west young man.......break bread in the new lan
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 11:25:35 AM »
who reads that crap besides teenagers with unattainable dreams......you have a better chance of getting hit by a bus in a july snowstorm than you have becoming a pro

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 11:27:22 AM »
wireless internet connection or phone jack in the bathroom?

Wireless...
I hate the State.

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2008, 11:27:24 AM »
who reads that crap besides teenagers with unattainable dreams......you have a better chance of getting hit by a bus in a july snowstorm than you have becoming a pro

lol

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2008, 11:37:57 AM »

100 years, minimum
!

BroadStreetBruiser

• Getbig V
  • "In Falcon We Trust"
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2008, 11:40:39 AM »
I only read it if they are promising at least 2 inches on my arms in 8 weeks.
$

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2008, 12:10:46 PM »

Get a subscription...

I had a subscription for over 5 years, during which time I had maybe a dozen issues delivered on time, if at all.  It was more work than it was worth to always call customer service to have them send me a new one every month, so I scrapped that idea.

I know the Zane cover has been "out" for a while, and it's STILL on every newsstand that I've seen that even has Flex.  Nobody has the one that, according to last month's, should have been released August 11.  The Flex WEBSITE doesn't even have the new cover posted, which seems rather odd since they've updated it with other information.  Like I said, this isn't the first month I've noticed it.

I have nothing against Flex whatsoever, I've read it for probably over 10 years now.  What I am curious about is the stability of a magazine that lacks the ability to put their product out to the general public on time on a consistant basis.  I would wager that you make most of your money from newsstand sales, not subscriptions at 1/3 the price, so it seems like that might be a complaint that you should actually note, not just tell me to "get a subscription."

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2008, 12:12:39 PM »
Back to taking dumps with with your laptop...

It's awesome, isn't it?
I hate the State.

Ex Coelis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2008, 12:24:07 PM »
Flex magazine is terrible - worst, most minimal contest coverage

back in the day the Pittsburg Pro would have 8-10 pages - these days the Europa is barely 2

I only buy MD

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2008, 12:24:23 PM »

It's awesome, isn't it?
LOL i posted that above post on the shitter, from my iphone. :-\
A

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2008, 12:27:58 PM »

It's awesome, isn't it?

I'm always too afraid to bring the laptop.  I fear that somehow, I will find a way to electrocute myself, and my wife will find me, pants down, a load in the toilet, and the computer open to a website dedicated to debating large, hairless, mostly-nude men.  How awesome would that obituary be?

The Coach

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2008, 12:33:03 PM »
Speaking of which, I thought Koloseum (Milos' gym) was the "official" gym for Flex photoshoots? Chris Lund was at our gym yesterday (Club MetRx) shooting some new pro from France.

Armstrong

• Getbig III
  • Victor got screwed.
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2008, 01:17:05 PM »
got the new Flex with Cutler on the cover a couple weeks ago.  I wish they did more contest stuff.  But based on the crowds at some of the pro shows, I can see why they dont cover contests as much.  People dont seem to care about contests like they used to, except for a few hundred die-hards. 
Everything is BIGGER in Texas!!!

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2008, 01:18:26 PM »

the new one has been on the store shelves around here for at least 5 days, it has Cutler on the cover.

Pollux

• Getbig V
  • I'm kind of a big deal!
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2008, 01:50:20 PM »
Get a subscription...

FLEX subscription sucks!

Your local gas station/supermarket will have a copy before you do in the mail.  >:(

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2008, 02:30:26 PM »
they've updated the website with the latest issue now

http://www.flexonline.com/newsstand/

i found this gem:

The H.U.G.E.TM Rules, Part 4: QUADS
Train your abs for maximum shape and definition with this six-pack of pro advice.
Z

dantelis

• Getbig IV
  • Mesmerizing, isn't it.
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2008, 03:52:02 PM »
Mags like newspapers are losing readership to online resources.  Flex will continue for some time, but will probably eventually go by the wayside or will continue to add more ads and less content, like everyone else.  (BB mags are like women's magazines these days, with 60% ads and 40% content.)  Only thing that can keep them going is by continuing to put out content that you can't find online (like the interview with Dex and Jay in this most recent issue of FLEX; anyone else think that Jay sounded like a dick and that Dex sounded like a class act?).