Author Topic: Thomas Barnett: The Pentagon's new map for war and peace - TEDtv  (Read 732 times)

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
In this bracingly honest talk, international security strategist Thomas Barnett outlines a post-Cold War solution for the foundering U.S. military that is both sensible and breathtaking in its simplicity

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/thomas_barnett_draws_a_new_map_for_peace.html

I was more interested in where he was going with it than getting a laugh out of it. Too much laughing imo. Interesting video.

There is a longer 13 part video on YT. I couldn't be bothered to watch it now. This was good enough for now.

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
Re: Thomas Barnett: The Pentagon's new map for war and peace - TEDtv
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 08:43:24 AM »
http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/thomas_barnett_draws_a_new_map_for_peace.html

I was more interested in where he was going with it than getting a laugh out of it. Too much laughing imo. Interesting video.

There is a longer 13 part video on YT. I couldn't be bothered to watch it now. This was good enough for now.

I like the part in which he says that the "Leviathan" force will NOT be subject to international law, preceded with "we do not wish to be an empire". Man! Whenever you see a bunch of white guys in an auditorium talking about world peace "on our terms" while reducing truly unconnectable systems of military and economic power to 3-4 PowerPoint slides.... Watch out! But then again, it goes well with the ADD crowd that now populates most of the buildings in Washington.

Truth of the matter is that we're already doing some of the stuff the guy talks about in Iraq. I mean, let's be realistic, Blackwater is the "Leviathan", and the US Armed Forces are taking care of the post-war stuff. Is it working? Nope. Do Iraquis want us out? Yup. Simple.

Apart from all of this, in order to rearrange the system of power in this country in Barnett's terms you need to change the Constitution. You need to change the Carta Magna from "to protect the integrity of country's territory" to "to preserve world peace". Furthermore, this guys presumes our intentions are always good, which is not the case. I mean, it's not that "people will end up hating us", it's that we need to clarify whether we want to bring peace to the world so that everyone could live happily with nothing but good intentions. It's that people around the globe will look around, look at the past and say "fuck no, these guys ain't coming in here!", be it that the UN voted in or out. It's peace on our terms or else, which is flaaaaaaaaaaawed from the first word that came out of his mouth.

In conclusion, the presentation seems brilliant, at first anyway, but you quickly realise that what he so adamantly opposes (and he says it repeatedly): the "American Empire," is precisely what this "new" system will lead us to. Apart from this, I can see how the centers of economic power, the ones who presuppose money to human life, could twitch the system so that they could reap maximum economic gain while killing hundreds of thousands of people around the world, passively or actively, and destroying our image overseas.

Needless to say, Big Money has other plans... New system or not.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 09:46:20 AM »
Let me guess, the message Russia sent last week was just a joke right, we're still the bad guys. U might want to pay attention to what he says...4th Generation warfare...there is no conspiracy there. Its the folks at the top that make the other decisions. He makes good arguments. Besides that ur taking a military science brief and making it political....its not near as simple. He also pokes at the worthless UN...ur libs have'nt done shit. We're the only guys that can.
L

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 10:33:11 AM »
Let me guess, the message Russia sent last week was just a joke right, we're still the bad guys. U might want to pay attention to what he says...4th Generation warfare...there is no conspiracy there. Its the folks at the top that make the other decisions. He makes good arguments. Besides that ur taking a military science brief and making it political....its not near as simple. He also pokes at the worthless UN...ur libs have'nt done shit. We're the only guys that can.

Are you talking to me HH6?