Author Topic: Huckabee slams idea of Romney as veep  (Read 760 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Huckabee slams idea of Romney as veep
« on: August 14, 2008, 05:55:08 PM »
Posted: 05:00 PM ET

From CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

(CNN) – Former presidential candidate Mitt Romney may be high up on John McCain's shortlist for VP, but Mike Huckabee suggested Thursday the Arizona senator would be wise to pick another candidate.

Huckabee, whose victory in the Iowa caucuses derailed Romney's campaign last January, suggested the former Massachusetts governor is distrusted among many social conservatives.

"I think the issue is that, you know, in many ways, Mitt Romney has had very definite swings of position, not just on one or two things, but on many of the issues," Huckabee said Thursday on Fox News.

Romney ran as a social conservative, though he acknowledged he was effectively pro-choice until 2004 — a fact that spurred charges last year of political posturing from many. Despite outspending Huckabee overwhelmingly in Iowa, social conservatives there resoundingly picked the ordained minister and former Arkansas governor.

Huckabee likely isn't making friends with the McCain campaign of late. In addition to criticizing Romney — now one of its top surrogates — the Arkansas Republican will reportedly attend a rally on the National Mall Saturday to push McCain and Obama to delve further into issues facing evangelical voters.

But Huckabee said he will support the Republican ticket, no matter who the vice presidential candidate is.

"I'm going to support our nominee," he said. "And I'm more interested in who the president is than who the vice president is, anyway."

As for his own chances of being named McCain's running mate, Huckabee said he isn't counting on it.

"I've said, for many, many months, now that I have no expectation that I'm going to get that phone call," he said. "I even have my cell phone turned off, as we speak."

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
Re: Huckabee slams idea of Romney as veep
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 10:50:24 PM »

"I think the issue is that, you know, in many ways, Mitt Romney has had very definite swings of position, not just on one or two things, but on many of the issues," Huckabee said Thursday on Fox News.

Romney ran as a social conservative, though he acknowledged he was effectively pro-choice until 2004 — a fact that spurred charges last year of political posturing from many.
In other words, Romney is a solid gold plated phony.
!

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 10:56:10 PM »
Everyone in this race has a history of flopping, err I guess not H. Clinton, but she is out.

But then the Clinton's have 3 full days on stage at the convention, hmm weird, Clinton pushing for unity, when she will be taking the spotlight.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 12:11:16 PM »
Posted: 05:00 PM ET

From CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

(CNN) – Former presidential candidate Mitt Romney may be high up on John McCain's shortlist for VP, but Mike Huckabee suggested Thursday the Arizona senator would be wise to pick another candidate.

Huckabee, whose victory in the Iowa caucuses derailed Romney's campaign last January, suggested the former Massachusetts governor is distrusted among many social conservatives.

Romney ran as a social conservative, though he acknowledged he was effectively pro-choice until 2004 — a fact that spurred charges last year of political posturing from many. Despite outspending Huckabee overwhelmingly in Iowa, social conservatives there resoundingly picked the ordained minister and former Arkansas governor.

Huckabee likely isn't making friends with the McCain campaign of late. In addition to criticizing Romney — now one of its top surrogates — the Arkansas Republican will reportedly attend a rally on the National Mall Saturday to push McCain and Obama to delve further into issues facing evangelical voters.

But Huckabee said he will support the Republican ticket, no matter who the vice presidential candidate is.

"I'm going to support our nominee," he said. "And I'm more interested in who the president is than who the vice president is, anyway."

As for his own chances of being named McCain's running mate, Huckabee said he isn't counting on it.

"I've said, for many, many months, now that I have no expectation that I'm going to get that phone call," he said. "I even have my cell phone turned off, as we speak."

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/
In my viewpoint, Mike Huckabee is John McCain's ONLY hope of securing the presidency.  No other candidate (unless the Republican party could somehow convince Colin Powell to change his mind about endorsing Obama and have him as the VP) will suffice.  McCain's just got too weak of a campaign strategy to afford choosing another moderate candidate as a running mate.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 08:36:58 PM »
In my viewpoint, Mike Huckabee is John McCain's ONLY hope of securing the presidency.  No other candidate (unless the Republican party could somehow convince Colin Powell to change his mind about endorsing Obama and have him as the VP) will suffice.  McCain's just got too weak of a campaign strategy to afford choosing another moderate candidate as a running mate.

I like Huck and think he would be a good choice. 

I know Powell will never happen, but I really wish McCain could get him on the ticket. 

marcus

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 09:35:09 PM »
A pro-life anti-gun repub as a veep candidate? I hope not.  :-X

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 11:45:10 PM »
A pro-life anti-gun repub as a veep candidate? I hope not.  :-X

Romney changed his positions in 2007.

He now hates abortion and loves gun rights.

Those positions worked for him to win the gov job, but now he wants the VP job, so he has changed.

marcus

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2008, 04:15:33 PM »
Of course this is what he's saying now but who knows what he'd do/say once he gets in (assuming he does). Then again it's the same with every candidate on both sides it seems.