Author Topic: Poll: McCain, Obama in Dead Heat  (Read 951 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Poll: McCain, Obama in Dead Heat
« on: August 14, 2008, 05:56:07 PM »
Poll: McCain, Obama in Dead Heat

Thursday, August 14, 2008 5:11 PM

By: Rick Pedraza 

With just a little more than two months to go before the presidential election in November, Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., has gained enough ground in the polls to draw statistically even with his rival Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill.

In the most recent Pew Poll released Wednesday, just 3 percentage points separate the two candidates vying for the White House. Obama leads slightly with 46 percent of the vote, while McCain is closing in with 43 percent.

However, in late June, Obama held a more comfortable lead – 8 percentage points – over McCain, 48 percent to 40 percent. And in July, the lead Obama held narrowed 47 percent to 42 percent.

This trend is indicative of a play in shifting voter sentiment, the Pew findings reveal. While McCain is roping in more support from his party’s political base, Obama has experienced a decrease in support among his core constituencies.

The survey shows 83% of Democrats favoring Obama compared with 87% of Republicans who say they will support McCain.

In addition, the amount of support Obama is garnering from Democratic presidential nomination opponent Hillary Clinton’s voter base stands at just 72 percent, while backers of McCain’s former rivals for the GOP nomination are weighing in at a hefty 88 percent.

When race is thrown into the mix, 88 percent of African-Americans are backing Obama, while McCain leads among white voters 51 percent to 39 percent. When gender is considered, McCain leads among male voters 49 percent to 41 percent, while women favor Obama by roughly the same margin, 51 percent to 38 percent.

Among voters under 30 years of age, Obama holds a 24 percentage-point lead over McCain. Voters over 50, however, prefer McCain to Obama 47 percent to 42 percent.

The survey shows that swing voters stand at 33 percent, with 12 percent leaning to Obama, and 11 percent to McCain. Undecided voters make up 10 percent of the poll results.

http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/mccain_obama_poll/2008/08/14/122101.html

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
Re: Poll: McCain, Obama in Dead Heat
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 07:17:29 PM »
newsmax   lol

Polls, what do they matter at this point?   

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 07:30:55 PM »
newsmax   lol

???  "In the most recent Pew Poll released Wednesday . . . ."

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 08:21:18 PM »
"In the most recent Pew Poll released Wednesday, just 3 percentage points separate the two candidates vying for the White House. Obama leads slightly with 46 percent of the vote, while McCain is closing in with 43 percent. "

Pew says Obama leads by 3 in this meaningless nationwide poll.

Newsmax just kinda "rounds off" those last 3 points.  They use the margin of error, it appears, but that's not listed, is it?

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 08:27:04 PM »
240, a recent Bloomberg poll also said McCain down by 3 and is steadily gaining ground, according to the author.

I don't like newsweek as a magazine, it's more like a pamphlet now, around 50 pages.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 08:31:09 PM »
240, a recent Bloomberg poll also said McCain down by 3 and is steadily gaining ground, according to the author.
I don't like newsweek as a magazine, it's more like a pamphlet now, around 50 pages.

http://pollster.com/

Obama leads 254 to 184 electoral votes.

100 still up in the air.

If McCain wins EVERY SINGLE ONE of those electoral votes in close states, he'll barely win with a score of 284 electoral votes (with 270 needed)

Can he do it?   IMO, it'll require an obama meltdown.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 08:36:20 PM »
IMO, it'll require an obama meltdown.

Who knows what is to come.

Saturday we have the live debate, that Obama has been well versed on during vacation, should not be a problem since he is going to be focusing on "energy and excitement" not sure about either one of those, since he is kinda on drilling, and no on nuclear energy.

And also Dr. Corsi's new book, is selling like hotcakes, when he comes back from vacationing, he is dealing with that head on.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 08:49:00 PM »
"I'm not looking at you dudes, i'm looking past you".

- that's how jay-z described his dealing with haters.

And IMO that's how I think Obama treats things like this.  He has a vision - right or wrong - as a USA leader in the world, not as a pariah as we are seen as now.

IMO, the book will be just like rev wright, etc.  Something for cable news pundits to wack off to for a week or two, filling the next 12 weeks til the elections.  We keep hearing "Obama is SO screwed now!" but the numbers don't lie.  More electoral voters prefer him to mccain, period.

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 10:47:33 PM »
Who knows what is to come.

Saturday we have the live debate
, that Obama has been well versed on during vacation, should not be a problem since he is going to be focusing on "energy and excitement" not sure about either one of those, since he is kinda on drilling, and no on nuclear energy.

And also Dr. Corsi's new book, is selling like hotcakes, when he comes back from vacationing, he is dealing with that head on.

there is no debate this Saturday
!

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 10:57:33 PM »
there is no debate this Saturday

Oh, I thought I saw something on CNN.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 11:23:58 PM »
Apparently not scheduled yet. 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008, 11:25:51 PM »

I think I saw that too.

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 07:28:26 AM »
three scheduled debates AFTER the conventions, gentlemen

there is a forum about religion this Saturday that Obama and McCain will both attend...not a debate
!

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2008, 10:44:44 AM »

I know that Rick Warren (author of "The Purpose Driven Life" and past of Saddleback Church not to be confused with Brokeback) will be holding a live interview session with both senators on Saturday. 

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2008, 01:33:34 PM »
Gallup Daily: McCain, Obama Tied at 44%
Obama’s support down slightly

* USA
    * Election 2008
    * Gallup Daily
    * Americas
    * Northern America

PRINCETON, NJ -- If the election were held today, registered voters would be equally likely to vote for John McCain (44%) or Barack Obama (44%), according to the latest Gallup Poll Daily tracking update.

The Aug. 12-14 polling shows a slight dip in Obama's support, which had ranged between 46% and 48% (averaging 47%) in August. McCain has averaged 43% support among registered voters so far in August. Thus, the closer margin seen in today's results is due more to movement away from Obama than toward McCain. Twelve percent of registered voters now say they are undecided or supporting another candidate, which is on the high end of what Gallup has measured this year.

Voter preferences have been closely divided between Obama and McCain in each of the last three individual nights of polling, underscoring the notion that the race has tightened for the moment. This could to some degree reflect Obama's absence from the campaign trail while he vacations in Hawaii. He will return to the spotlight over the next few weeks upon naming his vice presidential running mate and accepting his party's nomination for president at the Democratic national convention, and both events have typically been associated with a bounce in support for a presidential candidate.

On Thursday, the Obama and Hillary Clinton campaigns announced an agreement to put her name into nomination for president at the convention. Given that the race has been tight for the past few days, it is unlikely this announcement is related to any change in Obama's support.

Since early June when Obama clinched the nomination, he has averaged a three percentage point advantage over McCain in Gallup Poll Daily tracking. (To view the complete trend since March 7, 2008, click here.) -- Jeff Jones`

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2008, 01:47:57 PM »
national averages don't matter in the real election, Mr Gore.

www.pollster.com for accurate electoral college numbers.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2008, 01:58:34 PM »
national averages don't matter in the real election, Mr Gore.

www.pollster.com for accurate electoral college numbers.
Gore!  Gore!  Gore!!!!!!