Author Topic: Pro Bodybuilders: Why do they make such appalling role-models ???  (Read 1571 times)

New Hank Wood

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
These so-called athletes offer very little in the way on inspiration to the population at large. 

What a hopeless and pathetic waste!

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
Re: Pro Bodybuilders: Why do they make such appalling role-models ???
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 09:06:08 PM »
That's mainly because Hank Wood makes such a good one.
Q

New Hank Wood

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 09:19:08 PM »
I put it largely down to lack of education. 

The sport tends to attract the 'low end' market, the 'base element' if you will. 

Yes, the meatheads, losers and retards tend to find solace in the sport. 

It appeals to those who don't have much else going on in their lives!

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 09:32:39 PM »
I put it largely down to lack of education. 

The sport tends to attract the 'low end' market, the 'base element' if you will. 

Yes, the meatheads, losers and retards tend to find solace in the sport. 

It appeals to those who don't have much else going on in their lives!

With that said, Hank Woods "gems" of enlightenment is evidence enough that he is such a good rolemodel, am i right?
Q

New Hank Wood

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 08:13:19 PM »
Bodybuilders have a responsibility to the health and fitness industry. 

The current crop of Pros do very little in the way of establishing a sense truth, virtue and pride..

Bodybuilders= Poor Role Models

Fail!

efanhowz

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 09:30:54 PM »
hank wood = gayest thread starter ever

New Hank Wood

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 09:36:44 PM »
The IFBB has a long history of tradition.

I believe that this industry would be better served if all Pros had to sign stringent 'code of conduct' contracts.  This would help ensure a sense of professionalism was preserved.

Any Pro who breaches the code would be dealt with via sanctions/dismissal.

The 'present' code of conduct doctrine is a mere symbol.  Its protocols are never enforced!

The industry needs role models!

io856

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 09:51:24 PM »
What about the way Dexter acted at the arnold classic?  Was he reprimanded for bringing the industry to shame and embarrassing Arnold Schwarzenegger?

Today's so called IFBB professionals are a law unto their own following their self-centered agendas and goals.

Crossbow

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 09:52:59 PM »
These so-called athletes offer very little in the way on inspiration to the population at large. 

I see it mainly as a PR problem. Many pro bodybuilders do lots of good things, raise money for charity, work  as trainers, helping lots of people to become fit, but the mainstream media tends to only cover the negative side of the sport.

sgt. d

• Getbig V
  • Don't tase me bro
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 09:55:43 PM »
men have penis and women have vaginas

io856

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 09:56:30 PM »
men have penis and women have vaginas
good point.

McFarland

• Getbig V
  • Tastes Like WINNING
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 09:58:41 PM »
Hank you crack me up on a level so deep that I wanna laugh about it but can't really out of awe for your craft.   ;D

Sorry it's Nasser Night. 

io856

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 10:01:43 PM »
Hank Wood is the greatest gimmick getbig has ever seen.

Oh and Yes... he is crushing the scum that is known as bodybuilding while he is at it.

I consider myself a Hank Wood smark i.e. a smart mark(fan) I understand the "tongue and cheek" nature of his posts whilst also enjoy his incisive opinions on the industry.

Welcome back, Hank Wood.

McFarland

• Getbig V
  • Tastes Like WINNING
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2008, 10:05:02 PM »
Hank Wood is the greatest gimmick getbig has ever seen.

Oh and Yes... he is crushing the scum that is known as bodybuilding while he is at it.

I consider myself a Hank Wood smark i.e. a smart mark(fan) I understand the "tongue and cheek" nature of his posts whilst also enjoy his incisive opinions on the industry.

Welcome back, Hank Wood.

Yes he's in a bit of a peaking phase isn't he?   ;D

McFarland

• Getbig V
  • Tastes Like WINNING
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2008, 10:21:23 PM »
McFarland, do you think it is an existing member of getbig e.g. Vince Basile or just an average failed bodybuilder

or an industry insider like how he is commonly accused of being Shawn Ray?

I actually consider him sharper than Basile and Basile's said to be a genius worth more than a mill...that's why he doesn't give a shit to post what he does, he's set.  But Hank just follows this template every time that suggests to me that alot of thought has gone into his material.  But maybe I give the guy too much credit...after all I do find genius in alot of weird places; I always have.   

Another thing about Hank is that I've never seen him affected by any of the characters here and especially around this place alot of the gimmicks were just MADE to melt by these guys.  Hank never comes out of character and never gets sidetracked taking up issue with anybody or anything petty on here, which I have alot of respect for.   

io856

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2008, 10:39:10 PM »
Another thing about Hank is that I've never seen him affected by any of the characters here and especially around this place alot of the gimmicks were just MADE to melt by these guys.  Hank never comes out of character and never gets sidetracked taking up issue with anybody or anything petty on here, which I have alot of respect for.   
Spot on, i have noticed this also with Hank Wood. Its almost as if he doesn't read anyone's posts here and just continues with his diatribe.

Another thing to note with Hank Wood is his material as you say rarely changes and follows the same rhythm. One thing I am still trying to to answer for myself is what is the intended purpose of the hank wood account.

For example, does the creator of the Hank Wood account intend to be very controversial and create a spark of discussion or does he actually have great conviction in his diatribe?

From what I can deduce it is most likely the former. Hank Wood has often in the past posted in support of Derek Anthony. We can see this looking back at his posts calling out the hecklers of getbig to actually visit Derek at a bodybuilding event. However, if Hank Wood had extreme conviction in his opinion Derek would be seen as scum who deserves nothing less than hate. Given his dislike for the homoerotic undertones of bodybuilding and the reliance on performance-enhancing drugs.

Hank Wood often displays conflicting opinion of which you have recently pointed out and so have many others in the past. This lack of consistency in his opinion confirms for me that the intention of the Hank Wood account is to be controversial and "against the grain" in order to spark discussion. Further, this proposed intention of the account is reinforced by Hank Woods bumping of failing topics(3-5 replies) and always referring to the more controversial of his opinion which attracts more attention.

I do believe Hank Wood has great comedic value and is a great asset to the entertainment getbig provides.

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2008, 10:42:57 PM »

Only young kids/teens and loser 30 yr old look up to bodybuilders.
In the last few weeks i have seen a trend in the Anti-bodybuilding movement..just in time for Olympia

io856

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2008, 10:52:54 PM »
Only young kids/teens and loser 30 yr old look up to bodybuilders.
In the last few weeks i have seen a trend in the Anti-bodybuilding movement..just in time for Olympia
Anti-bodybuilding talk has always existed on getbig all you need to do is look at goatboy and gordiano's posts. This trend you are noticing is only because of the return of hank wood who is known for his anti-bodybuilding posts and threads. I do believe the reason anti-bodybuilding talk is so prevalent is because of the nature of bodybuilding itself.

Bodybuilders feel threatened by those who are stronger, leaner and bigger than them. This "threatened" feeling arises from the potential for the other bodybuilder to take it more seriously then them i.e. works harder at it. There is an insecurity at the heart of bodybuilding but there is also an empowering aspect of it. The empowerment arises from the idea that YOU yes YOU can change the way you look given you work hard enough at your goals. So by seeing somebody who is stronger, leaner and bigger than you it suggests he is far greater and determined than you.

So what we have in the case of professional bodybuilding is people who are light years ahead of the average bodybuilder thus creating a bitter individual. These feelings then turn into hatred and the individual begins to despise those who are stronger, leaner and bigger. The individual then progresses to creating defensive mechanisms to address the feelings of internal inadequacy. These defensive mechanisms usually are as follows, however are not limited to;

• "All drugs"
  • Just some homoerotic activity(see gordiano)
  • Who cares if they have muscle its useless
  • its not a sport(an attempt to downplay the pursuit)

Hope this helps.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2008, 12:35:04 AM »
Anti-bodybuilding talk has always existed on getbig all you need to do is look at goatboy and gordiano's posts. This trend you are noticing is only because of the return of hank wood who is known for his anti-bodybuilding posts and threads. I do believe the reason anti-bodybuilding talk is so prevalent is because of the nature of bodybuilding itself.

Bodybuilders feel threatened by those who are stronger, leaner and bigger than them. This "threatened" feeling arises from the potential for the other bodybuilder to take it more seriously then them i.e. works harder at it. There is an insecurity at the heart of bodybuilding but there is also an empowering aspect of it. The empowerment arises from the idea that YOU yes YOU can change the way you look given you work hard enough at your goals. So by seeing somebody who is stronger, leaner and bigger than you it suggests he is far greater and determined than you.

So what we have in the case of professional bodybuilding is people who are light years ahead of the average bodybuilder thus creating a bitter individual. These feelings then turn into hatred and the individual begins to despise those who are stronger, leaner and bigger. The individual then progresses to creating defensive mechanisms to address the feelings of internal inadequacy. These defensive mechanisms usually are as follows, however are not limited to;

• "All drugs"
  • Just some homoerotic activity(see gordiano)
  • Who cares if they have muscle its useless
  • its not a sport(an attempt to downplay the pursuit)

Hope this helps.

good post

as for hank he is definitely a bitter former pro or an insider

he will only directly respond to the pros that post in his threads, every other getbigger will be ignored

E
E