Author Topic: Palumbo and his 'zero carb' diet !!!  (Read 6841 times)

ibfasport

• Getbig III
Re: Palumbo and his 'zero carb' diet !!!
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2008, 04:44:50 AM »
in the protein shakes there are suguars and milk derivate

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2008, 09:49:29 AM »
in the protein shakes there are suguars and milk derivate
If you get an isolete with less then 3-4 grams of carbs, its still acceptable

Triple-H_2005

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • I mostly lurk...
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2008, 10:35:40 AM »
The idiocy displayed by Mr. Wood is approaching legendary status.

Here, bro, let me help.

There are essential amino acids & essential fats, but NOWHERE in nature are there any essential carbohydrates.

And for those that say that this type of diet is no good for naturals, I did it (although not guided by Dave), ate <40g carbs daily with high protein and moderate fats and I think (for a lanky dude, 6'2" 227 lbs.) I looked pretty decent.

Sarcastic Deity

• Getbig III
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2008, 11:09:22 AM »
And for those that say that this type of diet is no good for naturals, I did it (although not guided by Dave), ate <40g carbs daily with high protein and moderate fats and I think (for a lanky dude, 6'2" 227 lbs.) I looked pretty decent.

if a natural is doing heavy workouts, wouldn't he actually need a sizable intake of carbs along with his sizable intake of protein

Triple-H_2005

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • I mostly lurk...
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2008, 11:14:56 AM »
I can't speak as intelligently as some may on this particular topic, BUT, if one is eating @ 40 g carbs daily, that's enough to fuel workouts (along with ketones). 

Additionally, carbs are of more use when trying to build muscle, and on a contest diet, my goal is to maintain muscle while losing as much bodyfat as possible. 

The high protein spares muscle be preventing muscle breakdown for amino acids and the fats provide energy as well as helping keep the hormonal profile as advantageous as possible for keping muscle.

Again, I'm no expert, but this is my understnding and it worked wonders for me.

One other thing, with such low carb levels, insulin surges and dips don't become an issue, so I felt the best I ever have on a diet.  Not grumpy, not overly fatigued and looked my best.

Rampage

• Getbig IV
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2008, 11:53:19 AM »

Dave is the pre-contest guru.  Can't think of anyone who comes close to him.

Back in the day, Dave was the graniest, driest son a bitch on the bodybuilding planet.

Palumbo knows his shit, he was actually at med school for half a second! He knows the physiology of the body.

Palumbo is a genius.  Carbs are for pussies.

Palumbo's zero carb diet is a health risk to kidney and liver function.

Palumbo's new fad diet has long term health issues; 

Zero carb (ketogenic) diets deplete the healthy glycogen stores in your muscles and liver.

Depletion of muscle glycogen causes you to fatigue easily, and makes exercise and movement uncomfortable.

Depletion of muscle glycogen leads to muscle atrophy (loss of muscle)

Loss of muscle causes a decrease in your basal metabolic rate.
Your muscles and skin lack tone and are saggy.

Palumbo is a danger to this so-called sport.  To think he has the gumption to call himself a pre-contest guru.  He should 'not' have dropped out his medical studies to pursue bodybuilding!

Wow...does anyone read what hank actually writes ?

This guy i think has multiple personalities.In one post , he hails the great palumbo , but in the very next post he`s negative toward him

WTF !!!

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2008, 12:01:51 PM »
yeah he's definitely a weird guy

E
E

Sarcastic Deity

• Getbig III
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2008, 12:04:38 PM »
Additionally, carbs are of more use when trying to build muscle, and on a contest diet, my goal is to maintain muscle while loosing as much bodyfat as possible. 

yes, here i think is where the confusion was. 

if a natural person is angling toward building muscle, rather than simply trying to maintain his current muscle while decidedly shedding fat, then the diet probably wouldn't be the greatest idea.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2008, 07:16:56 PM »
yes, here i think is where the confusion was. 

if a natural person is angling toward building muscle, rather than simply trying to maintain his current muscle while decidedly shedding fat, than the diet probably wouldn't be the greatest idea.
Ya, but the guys that are juiced to the max can't even build muscle while dieting, with the exception of a few, so what on earth makes you think a natural can while losing fat, IMO it can't be done in single digit bodyfat levels.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2008, 07:37:25 PM »
I don't think people go to Jumbo and ask him to hook them up with some awesome health.

They go to him when they want to be the most diced man onstage.  He delivers that.

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2008, 12:41:19 AM »
Ya, but the guys that are juiced to the max can't even build muscle while dieting, with the exception of a few, so what on earth makes you think a natural can while losing fat, IMO it can't be done in single digit bodyfat levels.
Here's the thing people always miss IMO...nutrients are nutrients, regardless if you're natural or not. Yes, we all know that AAS can increase protein synthesis, AAS can help maintain muscle tissue while in a calorie deficit...but this does not change the nature in which nutrients work....carbs, fats and proteins do not all the sudden become different anomalies because AAS is being taken.

True, a natural bodybuilder will lose more muscle on this diet...but a natural bodybuilder is going to lose more muscle then an AAS user regardless of the diet he uses.

I can't speak as intelligently as some may on this particular topic, BUT, if one is eating @ 40 g carbs daily, that's enough to fuel workouts (along with ketones). 

Additionally, carbs are of more use when trying to build muscle, and on a contest diet, my goal is to maintain muscle while loosing as much bodyfat as possible. 

The high protein spares muscle be preventing muscle breakdown for amino acids and the fats provide energy as well as helping keep the hormonal profile as advantageous as possible for keping muscle.

One other thing, with such low carb levels, insulin surges and dips don't become an issue, so I felt the best I ever have on a diet.  Not grumpy, not overly fatigued and looked my best.

You may not be an expert, but what you said here is right on the money. Glad to know someone here understands how this all works.

Manninen dude

• Getbig III
« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2008, 01:21:48 AM »

Hope this helps  :-*

http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/3/1/9

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2008, 01:29:55 AM »
Simply put, if you don't eat enough carbs and fats, you'll start to burn muscle.

Manninen dude

• Getbig III
« Reply #63 on: August 18, 2008, 01:46:30 AM »
Simply put, if you don't eat enough carbs and fats, you'll start to burn muscle.

You goof

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #64 on: August 18, 2008, 03:31:44 AM »

who said any thing about eliminating fats
DAWG

Harry Spotter

• Getbig II
« Reply #65 on: August 18, 2008, 05:29:35 AM »
http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/3/1/9

Very-low-carbohydrate diets and preservation of muscle mass - Manninen - Cited by 7

hahaha

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #66 on: August 18, 2008, 09:15:45 AM »

Additionally, carbs are of more use when trying to build muscle, and on a contest diet, my goal is to maintain muscle while losing as much bodyfat as possible. 

You would probably enjoy reading a book by (Dr.) Greg Ellis. Called "Ultimate Diet Secrets."

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2008, 09:26:42 AM »
Could Palumbo be onto something with his 'zero carb' diet?

Palumbo has turned conventional medicine on its head with what many describe as a dangerous mix of foolhardiness and out right ignorance.

Palumbo calls those who criticise his diet as ignoramuses. 

Palumbo is not interested in listening to the inherent health dangers of his controversial 'zero carb' diet plan. 

No, Dave will do what he god damn wants to do!

you are wrong, low carbohydrate diets are perhaps much more healthy then having carbohydrates, veggies included as dave does. i can flood the board with studies if you want. Obviously you are ignorant.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2008, 10:09:34 AM »
Another form of the low carb daily intake (40 to 60 gram range...zero carbs is to the extreme, really not needed that low) diet is keeping five days a week on it. The two day weekend would allow eating a range of complex carbs (and even some simple carbs) from 200 to 300 grams, or more. Simple carbs like pizza or pancakes in the mornings.  But not to the extent of a whole extra large pizza and a 6 pack at one sitting (though that is tempting). The following monday it was back to the lower carbs. Seemed to work for a lot of athletes.

Any low carb diet will also  require select oils included like olive oil, flax seed oil,wheat oil, safflower oil, etc. Helpful calorie source. Guy's can get from 3500 calories and up and still lose body fact and maintain a higher level of energy and health.

The low carb diet was first called the hunter's diet, years ago. Which made sense when you think about it. Mostly red meat at that time. Also called the drinking mans diet once. Do not know the reason for that one. But sound good.
F

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #69 on: August 18, 2008, 12:33:57 PM »
these pussys that r scared to go low carb r the same ones that bitch about there genetics not allowing them to get lean.they will say ohh iv tryed everything but i cant get a six pack.mean while they stuff there face with carbs and rationalize it by saying they need them for energy.fat peoples lack of will power sickens me
DAWG

Rudee

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: August 18, 2008, 01:00:14 PM »
When I worked with Dave years back, this is diet he had worked out for me:

Meal #1
1) 6 egg whites scrambled with 3 whole eggs..

Meal #2
1) 8-10 oz of skinless chicken breast;
2) 1/4 cup of cashews/almonds

Meal #3
Same as Meal #2

Meal #4
1) Protein Shake (10 carbs/less)
2) 2 Tablespoons of Cashew/Almond butter

Meal #5
1) 8-12oz Steak
2) Salad w/oil & vinegar

** Coffee w/meal #1; water/diet soda w/other meals..

How long were you on this diet and what were your results like?

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #71 on: August 18, 2008, 03:26:15 PM »
Here's the thing people always miss IMO...nutrients are nutrients, regardless if you're natural or not. Yes, we all know that AAS can increase protein synthesis, AAS can help maintain muscle tissue while in a calorie deficit...but this does not change the nature in which nutrients work....carbs, fats and proteins do not all the sudden become different anomalies because AAS is being taken.

True, a natural bodybuilder will lose more muscle on this diet...but a natural bodybuilder is going to lose more muscle then an AAS user regardless of the diet he uses.
You may not be an expert, but what you said here is right on the money. Glad to know someone here understands how this all works.
100% agree

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #72 on: August 18, 2008, 03:39:29 PM »
I noticed that I couldn't lift weights or train hard when on very little carbs. I also noticed loss of strength.

I'd rather lower my carb intake to only breakfast and postworkout, than a 40g a day type of diet.

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #73 on: August 18, 2008, 03:49:29 PM »
I noticed that I couldn't lift weights or train hard when on very little carbs. I also noticed loss of strength.

How long were you on it?
Did you give it a fair shot, long enough for your body to acclimate to the diet? More than just 2 weeks?

I was quite the opposite.

Noel Fuller

• Getbig IV
« Reply #74 on: August 18, 2008, 03:49:38 PM »
The diet works for some people but I dont think its the best way to diet.