Author Topic: The Official Arnold Schwarzenegger Thread  (Read 12275 times)

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Re: The Official Arnold Schwarzenegger Thread
« Reply #100 on: August 20, 2008, 07:29:21 PM »
They also didn't have very many machines back then at all so lots and lots of heavy free weights

More machine vs weight BS lol they had plenty of machines, could work just as hard on em in fact Sergio said machines were generally better.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #101 on: August 20, 2008, 07:31:25 PM »
M8 is a cock sucking queer ...

hahah that's why ND loves him.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #102 on: August 20, 2008, 07:33:54 PM »
Right !!  >:( This is " The Official Arnold Schwarzenegger Thread "

hahahah

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #103 on: August 20, 2008, 07:40:18 PM »
I wonder , how come arnold was so cut all the trime ??

Nudniks like ND arrived at Schwarzenegger ball-worshiping later, they didn't read or see these pics and accompanying articles when they came out and thus can't provide any real context, which was that he wasn't actually cut all the time, it was just that alot of the pics were taken in the 3 months leading up to contests. Also, there were some off-season shots in the mags then, but many of them aren't online as of yet. Here's are some typical shots when not quite in contest shape but still good.

The other thing was that it wasn't just Schwarzenegger in seemingly better shape than today's guys it was that generation, in part due to the differences in bloating the body and water retention the newer drugs cause.

Lion666

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • You gotta bring it to get it!
« Reply #104 on: August 20, 2008, 08:40:44 PM »
Yeah it was probably how long they trained, they would often group 4 body parts together and just go from one to the other set after set for a couple hours.
I don't know how anyone can claim that Dorian or other trainers today are the hardest training bodybuilders ever, Dorians 3 exercises for each body part with one set to failure taking about 15-20 minutes for the whole workout could never be as hard as the volume approach that the old guys like Sergio and Arnold did. They also didn't have very many machines back then at all so lots and lots of heavy free weights, and the gyms had no air conditioners or fans etc.
Nowadays people call that overtraining but the these old guy's got huge without GH or Insulin like Dorian, Ronnie and Cutler relied on.

EXACTLY... THANK YOU......     well said....   at least ronnie trains/ed...  some of these guys does one or two warmup sets & does one heavy set, few forced reps & thats intense,,,, yeah no, holdin back the vomit after 20 - 30 sets,,, with a swift pace.....   hit training.....  more like shi... no I mean everything has its place, especially  during a training period of heavy weights.... you have to hit hard quick get in get out,,,, this way your joints stay fresh but still allotta guys rely on sauce & say they "train" hit what ev.... jus bein lazy.....
volume baby........   :D
 8)

Antony77

• Getbig II
« Reply #105 on: August 20, 2008, 09:10:15 PM »
More machine vs weight BS lol they had plenty of machines, could work just as hard on em in fact Sergio said machines were generally better.

Actually most of those machines were the original Nautilus machines that Arthur Jones was promoting so bodybuilders only had access to them for a little while when they went down to train at his facility around 1972 and that was only 2-3 years before Arnold retired anyway.
Here's an excerpt from Sergios interview: http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=113483.0

BDJ: After you left Jones's instruction and went your own way, did you continue training with a HIT approach, or did you return to volume training?

SO: Well, I went back to free weights because I did not have access to his machines.

Bodybuilders sometimes had to rig their own equipment to get a workout in.

Antony77

• Getbig II
« Reply #106 on: August 20, 2008, 09:22:15 PM »

Anyway I never made any claims that free weights were better, all I said was that the oldtimers had it a lot harder because they didn't have access to the stuff bodybuilders have today.
Here's a good interview from Dave Draper of a typical training day back in the 60's, those guys were definitely the hardest trainers. http://www.davedraper.com/article20-muscle-beach.html

Antony77

• Getbig II
« Reply #107 on: August 20, 2008, 09:33:26 PM »
EXACTLY... THANK YOU......     well said....   at least ronnie trains/ed...  some of these guys does one or two warmup sets & does one heavy set, few forced reps & thats intense,,,, yeah no, holdin back the vomit after 20 - 30 sets,,, with a swift pace.....   hit training.....  more like shi... no I mean everything has its place, especially  during a training period of heavy weights.... you have to hit hard quick get in get out,,,, this way your joints stay fresh but still allotta guys rely on sauce & say they "train" hit what ev.... jus bein lazy.....
volume baby........   :D
 8)

Yep it doesn't matter if it was overtraining the fact remains Dorian didn't train even half as hard as the old guy's who would often train each muscle group twice a week. I like this Arnold quote:

"I have no fear of fainting in the gym. I've thrown up many times while I was training, but it doesn’t matter, because it’s all worth it." – Pumping Iron

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #108 on: August 21, 2008, 02:39:20 AM »
Sorry, that is not how a forum works. It is an Arnold thread but you cannot make it so that no other bodybuilding pictures may be posted. People are allowed to post others in comparison. I often see pictures posted of others in a Nasser thread , or a Yates picture in a Coleman thread.
You are perfectly at liberty to post other bodybuilders as well , there are no threads where that does not happen and we have seen all these Arnold pictures before.

The Nasser pictures got many, many views so people are loving them

We told you to leave, learn to listen.

Antony77

• Getbig II
« Reply #109 on: August 22, 2008, 12:10:34 PM »