Author Topic: Anybody ever pop their rib head?  (Read 3175 times)

cross-of-iron

• Getbig IV
  • TRIBALISMO BLANCO
Anybody ever pop their rib head?
« on: August 17, 2008, 02:07:36 AM »
A couple months ago I was doing good mornings with 225 for 20 reps using what I would consider text book form when I heard a pop while I was in the bottom position. I racked the weight and noticed intense pain in my chest and it hurt when
taking deep breaths. I asked a few people I work with and one of them after hearing the symptoms told me
that it was probably my rib head. He suggested I see a chiropractor which I still haven't done. About a month after I
started doing good mornings again which was a little painful but as the weeks have gone by it's hurt less and less.
My question is do I really need to get adjusted for this? I'm a stubborn bastard and quite frankly am not to fond
of visiting hospitals or clinics. 

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
Re: Anybody ever pop their rib head?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 02:45:40 AM »
You can dislocate a rib but I have never heard of any one getting it from good mornings.
In fact last year I was horse playing at work and gave a guy a bear hug.
I dislocated his rib and it cost me a few hundred bucks to take him to hospital, get a chest X-ray and medication for the miserable bastard who tried to milk it for everything he could.
It healed with time.
If it aint right yet go see some one!

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 03:40:45 AM »
You can dislocate a rib but I have never heard of any one getting it from good mornings.
In fact last year I was horse playing at work and gave a guy a bear hug.
I dislocated his rib and it cost me a few hundred bucks to take him to hospital, get a chest X-ray and medication for the miserable bastard who tried to milk it for everything he could.
It healed with time.
If it aint right yet go see some one!

:o

Remind me not to piss you off buddy.

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 05:05:42 AM »
A couple months ago I was doing good mornings with 225 for 20 reps using what I would consider text book form when I heard a pop while I was in the bottom position. I racked the weight and noticed intense pain in my chest and it hurt when
taking deep breaths. I asked a few people I work with and one of them after hearing the symptoms told me
that it was probably my rib head. He suggested I see a chiropractor which I still haven't done. About a month after I
started doing good mornings again which was a little painful but as the weeks have gone by it's hurt less and less.
My question is do I really need to get adjusted for this? I'm a stubborn bastard and quite frankly am not to fond

see an orthopedist. 

Max

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 01:04:12 PM »
I have popped two in my back before getting out the shower.  i couldn't ever bend round to do up my seatbelt in the car.  Saw a chiropractor, popped em back in and I was as good as new.  Worth every penny.

Epic_Monster

• Getbig V
  • "Let me pose on this one" - REV. X
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 01:06:27 PM »
The Moose will hook you up my friend.
Spirit of Truth

brent2741

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 02:29:04 PM »
rib heads can "pop out" all the time, sometimes just coughing or reaching for something.

brent2741

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 02:30:00 PM »
see an orthopedist. 

so if you had a headache you would see a neuro surgeon?

stormshadow

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 05:43:17 PM »
I have popped two in my back before getting out the shower.  i couldn't ever bend round to do up my seatbelt in the car.  Saw a chiropractor, popped em back in and I was as good as new.  Worth every penny.

Hello MooseJay

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2008, 06:45:27 PM »
so if you had a headache you would see a neuro surgeon?

depending on the nature of the headache I might.  I certainly wouldn't ask a conman for advice even if he had paid for a chiro certification.

The Coach

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2008, 06:49:08 PM »
Why the hell are you doing deads for 20 reps?

sgt. d

• Getbig V
  • Don't tase me bro
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2008, 07:00:32 PM »

why not?

The Coach

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2008, 07:01:44 PM »

brent2741

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2008, 09:47:01 PM »
depending on the nature of the headache I might.  I certainly wouldn't ask a conman for advice even if he had paid for a chiro certification.
[/quote

you're an idiot..... yes you are in fact an idiot

Voice of Doom

• Getbig IV
  • Everything is under control.
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2008, 10:47:13 PM »
I get this pop in the middle of my upper chest sometimes when stretching or doing flyes?  Hurts and then fades...sometimes I can do it at will...any thoughts?

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2008, 11:24:37 PM »
I get this pop in the middle of my upper chest sometimes when stretching or doing flyes?  Hurts and then fades...sometimes I can do it at will...any thoughts?

Ya.  Don't do that.

TommyBoy

• Getbig IV
  • What's the vector, Victor?
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2008, 01:44:45 AM »

I had this same thing a few years ago. Apparently (don't trust me on this) there is a joint in your sternum area that fuses as you get older. I actually figured out how to "pop" this joint with that same flying motion. It became inflamed and started to hurt like hell enough to the point I was hospitalized. The info bout it being a joint and fusing as you age was repeated to me by the emergency room doc and my normal doc. It pops every now and then when I do chest but I don't pop it any more to freak people out.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2008, 07:34:44 AM »

your xyphoid process is rebelling against your liver yang you need to harmonize your chi. I suggest eye of newt at 12c potency and gentian.

Max

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2008, 09:10:30 AM »
Hello MooseJay
Now now, I don't think i'm guilty of any self indulgant threads. ;)

Voice of Doom

• Getbig IV
  • Everything is under control.
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2008, 08:58:55 AM »
your xyphoid process is rebelling against your liver yang you need to harmonize your chi. I suggest eye of newt at 12c potency and gentian.

one step ahead of you my friend..................

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2008, 09:03:19 AM »

add in some tiger penis for virulity.

cross-of-iron

• Getbig IV
  • TRIBALISMO BLANCO
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2008, 12:11:56 AM »

I wasn't deadlifting,I was doing good mornings. I only do single reps in the deadlift... warm-ups included.
I don't usually do anything over 3-6 reps when doing good mornings but I was a little sore and wanted to get
some blood into the area. I do 20 rep sets for sld's sometimes but that's rare and only when I'm in the mood
for pain.

Moosejay

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2008, 05:38:23 AM »
I had this same thing a few years ago. Apparently (don't trust me on this) there is a joint in your sternum area that fuses as you get older. I actually figured out how to "pop" this joint with that same flying motion. It became inflamed and started to hurt like hell enough to the point I was hospitalized. The info bout it being a joint and fusing as you age was repeated to me by the emergency room doc and my normal doc. It pops every now and then when I do chest but I don't pop it any more to freak people out.

where the manubrium meets the sternum.

You can cause this by doing flies with db's and exaggerating the movement...it'll go 'crack'

Moosejay

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2008, 05:39:28 AM »
Hello MooseJay

Sorry.

I only do personal injury.

Moosejay

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2008, 05:40:26 AM »
'
Good technbique used to pop those back in. Pisiform contact on angle of rib.

Even though you are usually very negative with me, I wish you well.

That hurts like hell.