Author Topic: BAKING SODA: PROVEN Perfomance Enhancer!  (Read 2315 times)

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
BAKING SODA: PROVEN Perfomance Enhancer!
« on: August 17, 2008, 11:26:06 PM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1045970/A-spoonful-baking-soda-DOES-speed-say-scientists.html

A spoonful of baking soda DOES speed you up, say scientists

Baking soda can cut seconds off speed

Scientists have proven what athletes have been claiming for years - that Granny's old cure-all, bicarbonate of soda, can enhance performance.

'Soda-doping', as it is known amongst professional sportsmen, can have a significant effect on endurance and speed.

Baking soda appears to work best to enhance speed. A study at Loughborough University found that of nine swimmers who took baking soda before an event, eight reduced their times, the Times reports.

Jonathan Folland, who led the study, said: 'Essentially, sodium bicarbonate is an alkali substance that increases the pH of the blood.

'This seems to reduce and offset the acidity produced in the muscles during intense, anaerobic exercise that produces lactic acid most quickly, such as fast running or swimming.'

Sodium bicarbonate, as anyone whose taken it for indigestion knows, reduces acids - helping the body to deal with the acidic waste products produced during exercise, that  tire us more quickly.

But the substance isn't a miracle-worker - shaving seconds, not minutes, off performance time - so that only the most proficient athletes will notice a difference.

The swimmers in the Loughborough study cut 1.5 seconds from their 200m time. Which is hardly significant for most of us who take a leisurely few laps up and down the pool.

A study at the American College of Sports Medicine found that runners could also improve performance with baking soda.

But the substance - used before modern times as a household cleaning agent - can cause upset stomachs, and tastes foul. 'It is not dangerous, but it tastes appalling,' warns Dr Folland.

He says that only those who are very serious about sport should try the white powder, which may cause diarrhoea.

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
Re: BAKING SODA: PROVEN Perfomance Enhancer!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 11:32:45 PM »
Interesting...

EDIT: How long till Muscle Tech stars selling Baking Soda, as Bakic?
HAHA, RON.....

The Coach

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 01:49:31 AM »
It's old, I've been using that for along time. Adonis, you need to keep up and stay ahead of the game son.

Mrdibbs

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 01:56:36 AM »
So this is Phelps's secret!

Manninen dude

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 03:05:20 AM »
True Adonis --> True Sherlock  ;D

JOCKTHEGLIDE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 03:09:07 AM »

Manninen dude

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 03:11:17 AM »
 Int J Sport Nutr. 1993 Mar;3(1):2-28.Links
Effects of sodium bicarbonate ingestion on anaerobic performance: a meta-analytic review.Matson LG, Tran ZV.
School of Kinesiology & Physical Education, University of Northern Colorado, Greeley 80639.

Many researchers have investigated the effects of induced metabolic alkalosis, by ingestion of sodium bicarbonate, on anaerobic exercise performance. But the results have been inconsistent and often contradictory. The purpose of this review was to synthesize the varied findings using a meta-analytic approach. Twenty-nine investigations met our inclusion criteria. Results show that NaHCO3 ingestion clearly results in a more alkaline extracellular environment. The dosage, however, was only moderately related to the increase in pH and HCO3-. Overall, performance was enhanced but the range of effect sizes was large, -0.12 to 2.87. In studies that measured time to exhaustion, there was a mean 27 +/- 20% increase in duration. The treatment effect, however, was only weakly related to the degree of induced alkalosis. But in comparing the 19 studies that showed a positive treatment effect with the 16 that showed no effect, the former were associated with a greater increase in pH following ingestion of a somewhat larger dosage, and a greater decrease in pH with exercise.

In sum, True Punk is really ahead of his time.  ;D

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 03:54:59 AM »
Int J Sport Nutr. 1993 Mar;3(1):2-28.Links
Effects of sodium bicarbonate ingestion on anaerobic performance: a meta-analytic review.Matson LG, Tran ZV.
School of Kinesiology & Physical Education, University of Northern Colorado, Greeley 80639.

Many researchers have investigated the effects of induced metabolic alkalosis, by ingestion of sodium bicarbonate, on anaerobic exercise performance. But the results have been inconsistent and often contradictory. The purpose of this review was to synthesize the varied findings using a meta-analytic approach. Twenty-nine investigations met our inclusion criteria. Results show that NaHCO3 ingestion clearly results in a more alkaline extracellular environment. The dosage, however, was only moderately related to the increase in pH and HCO3-. Overall, performance was enhanced but the range of effect sizes was large, -0.12 to 2.87. In studies that measured time to exhaustion, there was a mean 27 +/- 20% increase in duration. The treatment effect, however, was only weakly related to the degree of induced alkalosis. But in comparing the 19 studies that showed a positive treatment effect with the 16 that showed no effect, the former were associated with a greater increase in pH following ingestion of a somewhat larger dosage, and a greater decrease in pH with exercise.

In sum, True Punk is really ahead of his time.  ;D

You look Wretched.  Care to enlighten us with an excuse as to why?

All head and no muscle.

PORKY

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 03:56:33 AM »
Old news.Baking soda buffers lactic acid hence better performance.More than 10 year old story.
P

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 03:58:14 AM »

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 04:31:28 AM »
I have used it for years before weight training. I feel it helps performance, even though I'm not doing aerobics.

I wish I could get bulk powder minerals in citrate form.

BroadStreetBruiser

• Getbig V
  • "In Falcon We Trust"
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2008, 04:47:00 AM »
Once again the Adonis haters jump on the fact that he's posting "old news" yet the first line of the article indicates athelets have known about it for years. I don't see Adam saying he's figured this out or claiming it's new science.
$

Red Hook

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2008, 04:49:30 AM »
I am sure that if you seach google long enough you will be able to find some study professing about the anabolic properties of twinkies.

so I am not sure what's the point of this thread.

I

The Coach

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2008, 05:52:36 AM »
BSB, hes got the title of the thread in BOLD as if it's some magical scientific breakthrough.

Brutal_1

• Getbig V
  • Your best is...
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2008, 05:54:43 AM »
Interesting...

LOL nice one!  ;D
just not good enough

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2008, 06:03:26 AM »
Interesting...

LMAO!!

Superb!

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2008, 07:00:08 AM »
I remember back in the day people used to mix creatine with it because of faster absorbiton and some claim that Baking Soda limited Lactic Acid build up.

Alka Seltzer and a bit of creatine.  Fuck man I remember trying to down that shit.

TooPowerful4u

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2008, 08:21:19 AM »
Dude this is old news and in alot of supplements already for YEARS.  WOW...catch up lol