Author Topic: Even more Muslim Love Coca Cola changes the can  (Read 3152 times)

youandme

• Getbig V
Even more Muslim Love Coca Cola changes the can
« on: August 19, 2008, 03:46:22 PM »
 :o   :o   :o   :o

Will Cross Adorn Coca-Cola Cans This Christmas?

The crescent moon and star — yes, the same symbol featured on the flags of so many Muslim countries — is an internationally-recognized symbol of the Islamic faith in much the same way as the cross represents Christianity and the star of David Judaism.  When I learned the symbol of the Islamic faith will appear on Coca-Cola packaging during Ramadan 2008, I found myself wondering whether or not the Atlanta-based soft drink maker will soon include the Christian cross and Jewish star of David in future holiday packaging designs targeting people of those faiths.

The firm selected by Coca-Cola to help interpret its brand across a number of events is ATTIK, according according to Brand Republic.  Notable among those events are Ramadan, a Muslim religious observance that runs from Sept. 1-30, and Christmas 2008. [Note: I've found no evidence that the company plans to focus any efforts on Hannukah or any other Jewish holiday.]

During Ramadan, the ATTIK design shown above will adorn packaging in Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Indonesia, Morocco, Tunisia and other countries with a great many Muslims.

With hopes of finding out whether the Christian cross — instead of the penguins, polar bears and snow of recent years — will grace Coca-Cola packaging for Christmas 2008, I sent an e-mail to Roger Darnell at the firm’s San Francisco office at 11:52 a.m. (Central) today.  Six minutes later, he replied by telling me he had forwarded my inquiry to ATTIK’s marketing executive Vicky Hallam in the firm’s Leeds, England, office.  Excluding the salutation, my e-mail was worded as follows:

I’m a freelance writer and am pursuing an article on using religious symbols on commercial product packaging.  As I understand ATTIK.com was selected to design the 2008 Christmas packaging for Coca-Cola, I’m interested in learning whether or not Coca-Cola products distributed in predominantly-Christian countries will include Christian cross and Jewish star of David symbols in much the same manner as packaging of Coca-Cola products (which your firm designed) sold in predominantly-Muslim countries feature the crescent moon and star symbol representing Islam?

Within 4 days Tyson Chicken changed...
Change this so called Coca-Cola or they will forever be lost as America's beverage

Email

https://secure.www2.coca-cola.com/ssldocs/mail/eQuery_other.shtml

Deedee

• Getbig V
  • They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
Re: Even more Muslim Love Coca Cola changes the can
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 04:41:08 PM »
It isn't the same thing at all. Tyson's didn't change anything that would've cost them a dime.

In this case, they're trying to break into the muslim market, you know, to turn a profit. Everyone in those countries listed is muslim so there's no prob in putting some labeling on the packaging that would help push product.

If they put both the Star of David and the Christian cross on packaging in North America, the Star would alienate those who dislike Jews, the Christian cross would alienate some Jews, and both would bother the atheists and various other minority religions. We're multi-religious and not really used to having religious symbols on our food packaging or elsewhere.  Obviously, this is not so in muslim countries and we find them backwards.

Do you want religious symbols on your food, clothes labels, etc?

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 04:46:26 PM »
It isn't the same thing at all. Tyson's didn't change anything that would've cost them a dime.

In this case, their trying to break into the muslim market, you know, to turn a profit. Everyone in those countries listed is muslim so there's no prob in putting some labeling on the packaging that would help push product.

If they put both the Star of David and the Christian cross on packaging in North America, the Star would alienate those who dislike Jews, the Christian cross would alienate some Jews, and both would bother the atheists and various other minority religions. We're multi-religious and not really used to having religious symbols on our food packaging or elsewhere.  Obviously, this is not so in muslim countries and we find them backwards.

So your for this correct?

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 04:48:06 PM »

Have you ever been to any of these places? Or know one thing about Turkey?

They were just taken over by conservative Muslims, and their are Christians there. I'd like to hear some valid points form you in support of this before I type further.

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 04:53:59 PM »
So your for this correct?

I'm for industry making a profit. Do I find it sad and kind of disgusting from the perspective that it's an American company selling out? Yes. But morals and pride don't count for much when considering the bottom line. It's only packaging, and they aren't polluting any more or less using the extra graphic, exploiting child labor, or anything else worth protesting.

Besides, the packaging is only going to countries where your head gets lopped off if you aren't religious enough. If it helps coca-cola sell more product, what wrong with it?

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 04:58:10 PM »
Have you ever been to any of these places? Or know one thing about Turkey?

They were just taken over by conservative Muslims, and their are Christians there. I'd like to hear some valid points form you in support of this before I type further.

No I haven't but have close Lebanese Christian, Isreali, and Egyptian friends. Why does it matter?

As for Turkey, some religious right Christians visited there not all that long ago to lobby for having the teaching of evolution removed from their school curriculum.  Basically, the American religious right would rather have children growing up believing Allah to be the supreme being, and blowing up stuff, rather than help foster a more secular society. Maybe you should take it up with them.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 05:02:54 PM »
I'm for industry making a profit. Do I find it sad and kind of disgusting from the perspective that it's an American company selling out? Yes. But morals and pride don't count for much when considering the bottom line. It's only packaging, and they aren't polluting any more or less using the extra graphic, exploiting child labor, or anything else worth protesting.

Besides, the packaging is only going to countries where your head gets lopped off if you aren't religious enough. If it helps coca-cola sell more product, what wrong with it?

Actually your wrong. On all counts.

Your for an American industry making a profit in Muslims, countries, that is fine free trade at ti's best. But when you re-label, repackage and reformulate the way you market a product the product changes, hence "product package globalization"

This is why Dr.Pepper etc, don't change their packaging, this is why companies do not change their logos. Simple consumer economics will tell us that this alienates customers from other countries, and divides their akinship of also wanting a certain labeling, that promotes their faiths and or beliefs.

Your argument that the US is multi-religious is beyond me, but obvious. It's that statement which shows you don't see the correct argument and your opinion lacks depth, hence Jews and Christians are in the United States, as well as Muslims, Muslims in the United States now have a direct Coca Cola can in their faith.

This has nothing to do with pride or morals, except the fact that an America brand claiming to be "American" has re-deisnged an American traditional icon for a Muslim country, which they now have to do for each country.

Turkey is or was a diverse region, but since a conservative party has now taken control, Muslims from neighboring countries have jumped in even with increased border security. So what is to be done for the minorities in Turkey?

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 05:04:15 PM »
No I haven't but have close Lebanese Christian, Isreali, and Egyptian friends. Why does it matter?

Oh I see, I'm sorry you don't have Jewish or real Christian friends to understand the impact and perspective of other religious entities.

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 05:08:57 PM »
Oh I see, I'm sorry you don't have Jewish or real Christian friends to understand the impact and perspective of other religious entities.

Huh  ???  I have lots of Christian and Jewish friends.  I gave examples of people whose families hailed from middle eastern countries, who've given me some perspective on what it's like to live there.

Btw... most Isrealis are Jewish.  ;)

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 05:14:03 PM »
first though: lmao
2nd thought: global market now than ever. dubai

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 05:26:16 PM »
Actually your wrong. On all counts.

Your for an American industry making a profit in Muslims, countries, that is fine free trade at ti's best. But when you re-label, repackage and reformulate the way you market a product the product changes, hence "product package globalization"

This is why Dr.Pepper etc, don't change their packaging, this is why companies do not change their logos. Simple consumer economics will tell us that this alienates customers from other countries, and divides their akinship of also wanting a certain labeling, that promotes their faiths and or beliefs.

Your argument that the US is multi-religious is beyond me, but obvious. It's that statement which shows you don't see the correct argument and your opinion lacks depth, hence Jews and Christians are in the United States, as well as Muslims, Muslims in the United States now have a direct Coca Cola can in their faith.

This has nothing to do with pride or morals, except the fact that an America brand claiming to be "American" has re-deisnged an American traditional icon for a Muslim country, which they now have to do for each country.

Turkey is or was a diverse region, but since a conservative party has now taken control, Muslims from neighboring countries have jumped in even with increased border security. So what is to be done for the minorities in Turkey?

I'm having trouble following everything you say but...

Coca-cola hasn't changed their logo.  It's the same with an added graphic for those countries where they want to break market.  Does it bother you because you think it puts Muslims on a special tier or something? North Americans won't even see it. Businesses have always kept their logos, but market their products very differently in different countries anyway. If they create different can graphics for different countries, well, why not?

I didn't say it was great, but it's a matter of keeping shareholders happy.

Of course I feel badly for oppressed people the world over, but that's the way it is. You're talking about Turkey, do you have any idea how bad the situation has gotten for Iraqi women since the invasion? They enjoyed a relatively "free" existence under the more secular minded Saddam compared to the deplorable conditions of today. Do you care at all about that? Probably not so much.

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 05:40:04 PM »
Does this make you feel better at all?  From AdRANTS

"Coca-Cola's chosen ATTIK to help interpret its brand across a number of events: for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa, for Coke's Christmas 2008 effort, and for Ramadan in Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Indonesia, Morocco, Tunisia, and other countries with a great many Muslims."

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 05:56:25 PM »
Most U.S. adult citizens identify themselves as Christians (76.5 - 78.5%)

So where is the cross for the American Christian Coca Cola, since according to you Coca Cola is "breaking" into a secular marketing strategy, in order to turn a profit.

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 06:23:01 PM »
Most U.S. adult citizens identify themselves as Christians (76.5 - 78.5%)

So where is the cross for the American Christian Coca Cola, since according to you Coca Cola is "breaking" into a secular marketing strategy, in order to turn a profit.

Yes I know most Americans are Christians, but there are also a lot of Jewish coke drinkers, and for the most part, north americans don't expect to see religious symbols on their products. If anything, we like Santa Clauses and Easter bunnies.

What I said was, they're breaking into the markets of those muslim countries... although I'm sure they're already there to a great extent. I didn't say at all they were breaking into our secular market. Coke is a fixture in north america.

The guy who wrote the article probably got the info from AdRANTS, which I posted for you above.  It's just event product for that one particular period.  And if you look, there's an event marketing thing happening for Christmas too, so maybe you will see a cross on your coke can come Christmas after all.

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
  • Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2008, 05:12:24 AM »

You do understand this is stealth jihad? This is jihadism by mind share, imposing islamic symbols over on-muslims, why should non-muslims be forced fed this bullshit?

I do find it odd that this is going out during the fasting season for the Satanists.
الاسلام هو شيطانية

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2008, 06:44:09 AM »
It is islamic symbolism.
الاسلام هو شيطانية

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2008, 04:17:38 PM »
You do understand this is stealth jihad? This is jihadism by mind share, imposing islamic symbols over on-muslims, why should non-muslims be forced fed this bullshit?

I do find it odd that this is going out during the fasting season for the Satanists.

Only if you have to fly to Saudi Arabia to buy coke. If you're talking about the minorities in Turkey, they must be used to it by now.

Coca cola also produces Kosher coke for Passover. That probably bothers some people too.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2008, 04:20:30 PM »
Instead of the crescent moon why not a person's head being chopped off

much more representative

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2008, 03:53:48 AM »
Only if you have to fly to Saudi Arabia to buy coke. If you're talking about the minorities in Turkey, they must be used to it by now.

Coca cola also produces Kosher coke for Passover. That probably bothers some people too.

Oh they're used to it, like Iraqi's are used to being blown up, and Christian girls in Indonesia are used to being beheaded - must be OK then!

Muslims impose their faith on people way more than any other.
الاسلام هو شيطانية