Author Topic: Two Celebrity Bad-Ass Governors Came Out Of This Gloriously Epic Movie  (Read 2186 times)

McFarland

• Getbig V
  • Tastes Like WINNING
Just watching this right now on TNT HD so I figured I'd erect a thread paying homage. 

Commitments by Schwarzenegger delayed the start of filming by several months. The delay gave Silver enough time to secure a minor rewrite from screenwriter David Peoples. Principal photography eventually began in the jungles of Palenque, Mexico, near Villahermosa, Tabasco, during the second week of April 1986. But the film overall was filmed in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. Much of the material dealing with the unit's deployment in the jungle was completed in a few short weeks and both Silver and Gordon were pleased by the dailies provided by McTiernan. On Friday, April 25th, production halted so that Schwarzenegger could fly to Hyannis Port in a Lear jet chartered by Silver in order to get to his wedding on time. He was married on April 26, 1986, to Maria Shriver, and honeymooned for two weeks in Antigua, while the second unit completed additional lensing. The production resumed filming on May 12.

Both director McTiernan and Schwarzenegger lost 25 pounds during the film.[1] Schwarzenegger's weight loss was a professional choice. McTiernan lost the weight because he avoided the food in Mexico due to health concerns.[1] In an interview, Carl Weathers said the actors would secretly wake up as early as 3:00 a.m. to work out before the day's shooting. Weathers also stated that he would act as if his physique was naturally given to him, and would work out only after the other actors were nowhere to be seen. It was reported that actor Sonny Landham was so unstable on the set that a bodyguard was hired; not to protect Landham, but to protect the other cast members from Landham.[3]

According to Schwarzenegger, filming was physically demanding as he had to swim in very cold water and spent three weeks covered in mud for the climactic battle with the alien.[4] In addition, cast and crew endured very cold temperatures in the Mexican jungle that required heat lamps to be on all of the time. Cast and crew filmed on rough terrain that, according to the actor, was never flat, "always on a hill. We stood all day long on a hill, one leg down, one leg up. It was terrible."[4] Schwarzenegger also faced the challenge of working with Kevin Peter Hall who could not see in the Predator suit. The actor remembers, "so when he's suppose to slap me around and stay far from my face, all of a sudden, whap! There is this hand with claws on it!"[4] Hall stated in an interview that his experience on the film, "wasn't a movie, it was a survival story for all of us."[5] For example, in the scene where the Predator chases Dutch, the water was foul, stagnant and full of leeches.[5] Hall could not see out of the mask and had to rehearse his scenes with it off and then memorize where everything was. The outfit was difficult to wear because it was heavy and off-balance.[5]

Zaphod

• Getbig IV
  • IFBB Mr Canada 1970
Re: Two Celebrity Bad-Ass Governors Came Out Of This Gloriously Epic Movie
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 08:33:00 PM »
"It was reported that actor Sonny Landham was so unstable on the set that a bodyguard was hired; not to protect Landham, but to protect the other cast members from Landham.[3]"

What can you say? It's too rich to even start.  ;D

Moosejay

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 08:33:25 PM »
Just watching this right now on TNT HD so I figured I'd erect a thread paying homage. 

Commitments by Schwarzenegger delayed the start of filming by several months. The delay gave Silver enough time to secure a minor rewrite from screenwriter David Peoples. Principal photography eventually began in the jungles of Palenque, Mexico, near Villahermosa, Tabasco, during the second week of April 1986. But the film overall was filmed in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. Much of the material dealing with the unit's deployment in the jungle was completed in a few short weeks and both Silver and Gordon were pleased by the dailies provided by McTiernan. On Friday, April 25th, production halted so that Schwarzenegger could fly to Hyannis Port in a Lear jet chartered by Silver in order to get to his wedding on time. He was married on April 26, 1986, to Maria Shriver, and honeymooned for two weeks in Antigua, while the second unit completed additional lensing. The production resumed filming on May 12.

Both director McTiernan and Schwarzenegger lost 25 pounds during the film.[1] Schwarzenegger's weight loss was a professional choice. McTiernan lost the weight because he avoided the food in Mexico due to health concerns.[1] In an interview, Carl Weathers said the actors would secretly wake up as early as 3:00 a.m. to work out before the day's shooting. Weathers also stated that he would act as if his physique was naturally given to him, and would work out only after the other actors were nowhere to be seen. It was reported that actor Sonny Landham was so unstable on the set that a bodyguard was hired; not to protect Landham, but to protect the other cast members from Landham.[3]

According to Schwarzenegger, filming was physically demanding as he had to swim in very cold water and spent three weeks covered in mud for the climactic battle with the alien.[4] In addition, cast and crew endured very cold temperatures in the Mexican jungle that required heat lamps to be on all of the time. Cast and crew filmed on rough terrain that, according to the actor, was never flat, "always on a hill. We stood all day long on a hill, one leg down, one leg up. It was terrible."[4] Schwarzenegger also faced the challenge of working with Kevin Peter Hall who could not see in the Predator suit. The actor remembers, "so when he's suppose to slap me around and stay far from my face, all of a sudden, whap! There is this hand with claws on it!"[4] Hall stated in an interview that his experience on the film, "wasn't a movie, it was a survival story for all of us."[5] For example, in the scene where the Predator chases Dutch, the water was foul, stagnant and full of leeches.[5] Hall could not see out of the mask and had to rehearse his scenes with it off and then memorize where everything was. The outfit was difficult to wear because it was heavy and off-balance.[5]

Yeah, C weathers.

Like Herschel Walker used to tell people he never worked out...to make 'em think he was otherworldly endowed, more so than others. BS.

McFarland

• Getbig V
  • Tastes Like WINNING
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 08:37:35 PM »
Yeah, C weathers.

Like Herschel Walker used to tell people he never worked out...to make 'em think he was otherworldly endowed, more so than others. BS.

I still see him at Gold's on weekends.  Wears a track suit and sunglasses. 

Moosejay

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 08:39:22 PM »

C weathers or Walker?

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 08:42:24 PM »
McJeff? I gotta ask...What happened to Carl's face? Surgery? Accident? You know what I mean.  :o

Moosejay

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 08:52:27 PM »
McJeff? I gotta ask...What happened to Carl's face? Surgery? Accident? You know what I mean.  :o

Stalloine wanted him in flashback scene in Rocky 6 but he wanted toio much $$$=Bitter

The Coach

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 09:02:38 PM »
Arnolds a pussy for a governor.

Eric2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 10:45:56 PM »
I spent some time down there and visited the sets from that movie. Sat in some of the helicopters, they turned the building in which the scene where Arnold stuck the guy with the knife and said "stick around" into a bar. Really cool.

Carl Weathers is a cool dude. My son's friend hung out with him for a while, his dad is a contractor and did some work for one of Carl's places. Carl took them both to breakfast one morning and apparently used his own maple syrup on the restaurant pankackes. He had it in his jacket pocket.  ;D
h

The Wizard

• Getbig III
  • Old School is THE School
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 11:31:58 PM »
Arnolds a pussy for a governor.
coz its only about the power for Arnold, he has no interest in the issues for people