Author Topic: Working out for night shift workers  (Read 10660 times)

gymrat01

• Getbig II
  • Lift or Die!!!!
Working out for night shift workers
« on: August 22, 2008, 10:46:40 PM »
I have worked night shift for almost 1 year now. It has done a number on my training. I had to turn everythjing around. It seems to be working pretty well for me now although it has taken some getting used to. If anyone else has the same problems with worki9ng night shift, feel free to share your comments and any help would be appreciated.
J

youandme

• Getbig V
Re: Working out for night shift workers
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 12:59:38 AM »
so what is your routine like now? Do you train before work or after, etc?

gymrat01

• Getbig II
  • Lift or Die!!!!
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 02:16:22 AM »
I train before i go to work. I usually go about 9 and leave around 11:30, i have to be at work at 12. I do this 5 days a week, and take the weekends off.
J

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 04:38:54 AM »
man iv been scanning these threads and it seems to me you have every problem imaginable.you work nights,you cant consentrate,what supps should you take.quit being a pussy you wanna get big or not?lift like a madman and eat like t-rex.
DAWG

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 10:01:24 AM »
I have worked night shift for almost 1 year now. It has done a number on my training. I had to turn everythjing around. It seems to be working pretty well for me now although it has taken some getting used to. If anyone else has the same problems with worki9ng night shift, feel free to share your comments and any help would be appreciated.

I used to work nights a long time ago - did 11pm until 7am. Used to workout stright afterwards and then go home to sleep. It completely knocks you about though because for some reason you don't eat as much and then it becomes a bit pointless. My advice - get a new job that has you working in the daytime.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 07:56:22 PM »
What is the problem? Do you find your sleep being affected? If so then your doing the right thing by working out before you go to work. If you workout after work it's sunny, and the light that hits your eyes produce tim, and pim protein and cause your circadian rhythum to displace it's internal clock, and you will have trouble sleeping, which causes serotonin levels to change sporadically, causing you to crave sweets or salty foods, or not be hungry at all, but mostly sugary foods will be craved. Only thing you can do is pack, meals, workout before work, and wear sunglasses before you open the door to leave to go home. Have something pre-cooked at home, so you just heat and eat, then sleep.

gymrat01

• Getbig II
  • Lift or Die!!!!
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 10:08:14 PM »
MOst of this shit i post is just for feedback from other people, just too what thye are taking, and what they do. I do have concentration problems, but i hav efixed it now. I have my shit down pat and has been for a while. I have my routeines down, and the timing of my supplements also. Some of these are for advice, like what to do when my elbows were fucked up, but thats about all i need help on. I wourkout, go to work, eat and sleep and that is about all i do. Bigdawg get your shit right before you go making assumptions.
J

big L dawg

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 04:08:36 AM »
im sorry
DAWG

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 01:47:52 PM »
Gymrat,

I did the 11PM-7 AM routine, and I hit the bed about an hour after I got home. Otherwise I would never get to sleep, with all the daytime distractions. I would sleep from about 8:30-4:30. Then I would have dinner with my wife about 6 PM, and workout at 7:30PM or so, for an hour. I then kicked back, and sometimes took a half hour nap afterwards. I left for work at 10:15.

I found that this routine was as effective as any daytime  workout.  The big advantage was that I always feel sleepy about an hour after exercising, and on the night shift i could take a nap before work!

So it can be very effective.

big L dawg

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 02:06:19 PM »
dude i work a swing shift were in a seven day week i work all three shifts and every week it changes how many times of each shift i work.i would kill to be on a set shift like nights. once again your a wussy gym rat
DAWG

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2008, 02:45:45 PM »
dude i work a swing shift were in a seven day week i work all three shifts and every week it changes how many times of each shift i work.i would kill to be on a set shift like nights. once again your a wussy gym rat

That swing shift is murder. I did that for a while and started going crazy, lol. I ended up quitting for a daytime position elsewhere.

gymrat01

• Getbig II
  • Lift or Die!!!!
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 01:09:58 AM »
swing shift does suck balls. hypertrophy that is almost the same thing that i do everyday.\\
P>S> this wussy gymrat knows just how to get rid of annoying little pussy ass dawgs.
J

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 01:56:01 AM »
Do you work a swing shift like 3pm-11pm or grave yard 11pm-7am?

gymrat01

• Getbig II
  • Lift or Die!!!!
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2008, 02:32:41 AM »
12a.m. to 8.a.m usually, but i have to work 8p.m. to 8.a.m some days. those 12 hour shifts really fuck everything up, especially when im in the rythm of going at the same time everyday.
J

big L dawg

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2008, 04:11:51 AM »
swing shift does suck balls. hypertrophy that is almost the same thing that i do everyday.\\
P>S> this wussy gymrat knows just how to get rid of annoying little pussy ass dawgs.

r u threatening me
DAWG

gymrat01

• Getbig II
  • Lift or Die!!!!
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2008, 10:15:14 PM »
no, just dont asppreciate being harassed, when im trying to get some good advice. Negative thoughts never have good results for anything. Especially in bodybuilding, just try and keep everything positive.
J

big L dawg

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2008, 03:34:14 AM »
no, just dont asppreciate being harassed, when im trying to get some good advice. Negative thoughts never have good results for anything. Especially in bodybuilding, just try and keep everything positive.
you realize your posting on get big. dont you?
DAWG

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2008, 07:24:13 PM »
you realize your posting on get big. dont you?
You do realize this is The Positive Board, don't you?

:)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

gymrat01

• Getbig II
  • Lift or Die!!!!
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2008, 09:34:03 PM »
Yes i know that this is a positive board. Why am i getting bitched at, when some1 else started this shit. Im trying to be positive, and dont appreciate it when other people post stupid shit like that. All of my posts have been positive except for this 1. Anyways just tell the other people on here not to do it, and i wont do it either.
J

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2008, 09:52:13 PM »
Yes i know that this is a positive board. Why am i getting bitched at, when some1 else started this shit. Im trying to be positive, and dont appreciate it when other people post stupid shit like that. All of my posts have been positive except for this 1. Anyways just tell the other people on here not to do it, and i wont do it either.
Before you jump my shit, dickhead, look at who I quoted.

Apology accepted. 8)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

gymrat01

• Getbig II
  • Lift or Die!!!!
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2008, 10:48:24 PM »
my bad chaos
J

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2008, 05:35:12 PM »
I have worked pure night shifts and swing shifts for many years in the past.  I have come to the conclusion that it's terrible for your health no matter what strategies you use to mitigate the negatives.  I found it was important to get as much sleep as you can but most find that it's just hard to sleep in the day time.  I would immediately go to sleep when I came home.  I would then train after I woke up.  The problem for most is that you can have 5 work nights and then you have two days off.  Most guys can't help reverting back to sleeping at night.  I know I couldn't.

Now I'm working pure days but the years of shift work has definitely taken a toll.  Anyone who has worked 10 plus years of nights knows that's true.  The ones that disagree are lying to themself because it's the only way deal with it.  I get up at 4:30AM for  day work but I'll take that over working swing shifts. 

In brief I would make it a priority to get to sleep the first thing you do when you get home.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2008, 06:28:05 PM »
I have worked pure night shifts and swing shifts for many years in the past.  I have come to the conclusion that it's terrible for your health no matter what strategies you use to mitigate the negatives.  I found it was important to get as much sleep as you can but most find that it's just hard to sleep in the day time.  I would immediately go to sleep when I came home.  I would then train after I woke up.  The problem for most is that you can have 5 work nights and then you have two days off.  Most guys can't help reverting back to sleeping at night.  I know I couldn't.

Now I'm working pure days but the years of shift work has definitely taken a toll.  Anyone who has worked 10 plus years of nights knows that's true.  The ones that disagree are lying to themself because it's the only way deal with it.  I get up at 4:30AM for  day work but I'll take that over working swing shifts. 

In brief I would make it a priority to get to sleep the first thing you do when you get home.

Funny you feel that way, I worked swing/night for about 3 years, until 1AM, then I would go and train, then hit the sack about 3AM. I absolutely loved it!! Wake up at 10-11am and take care of chores/errands, then off to work. I never had a problem with sleep.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2008, 07:30:17 AM »
I think alot of it depends on the length of the shift, and the work you have to put into it.

I would try to workout before, if I knew it was going to be a long tiring day.

If I knew it was gonna be one of those breezy 8 hour shifts, after suited me better cause I would still have some energy that needed to be released.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2008, 12:44:56 PM »
Funny you feel that way, I worked swing/night for about 3 years, until 1AM, then I would go and train, then hit the sack about 3AM. I absolutely loved it!! Wake up at 10-11am and take care of chores/errands, then off to work. I never had a problem with sleep.

Working until 1Am is different from getting off at 6AM or 8AM.  I worked various swing shifts but the usual was 6A to 2P.  Then it would be 2 P to 11P.  Lastly 11P to 7A. Working days or the afternoon shift wasn't a major problem.  It's the night shift.  It's also going from shift to shift.

Again I worked steady shifts and also swing shifts.  When I was young the 2P to 11P was my favorite.  I could train and even drink yet wake up late.