Author Topic: Voltaire  (Read 2116 times)

youandme

• Getbig V
Voltaire
« on: August 24, 2008, 01:04:20 AM »

"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities, has the power to make you commit injustices," --Voltaire

This is so funny. You quote Voltaire, yet I highly doubt you have read one single piece of his other than the wikipedia.

Well let me give you a hint, in his "Letters to Lord Byron" he goes off on African Americans, and cites that they commit atrocities in which their sufferings can be equated to the harms they have caused the English Nation.

::)

Absurd

haha

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Well let me give you a hint, in his "Letters to Lord Byron" he goes off on African Americans, and cites that they commit atrocities in which their sufferings can be equated to the harms they have caused the English Nation.

I don't know a thing about voltaire.

But I do know you're trying to discredit him because of something else he wrote.

yet the "Obama nation" author, a CT 911 nut, shouldn't be discreted on other things he writes?

Yikes.  Big double standard there.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
This is so funny. You quote Voltaire, yet I highly doubt you have read one single piece of his other than the wikipedia.

Absurd

haha

Hey, didn't you know that Jag has an IQ of 160?!  :o
I hate the State.

Deedee

• Getbig V
  • They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.

Absurd

haha

That's incredible  :o  for so many reasons, especially when you consider Voltaire died in 1788, the year Byron was born.

youandme

• Getbig V
Yikes.  Big double standard there.

Yikes, I guess that means you can't read or know what a double standard is. Because he called on the injustices of the borgeguise, and the uprising of the luddites to create the French Revolution and redistribtion of wealth, also once the country was royally fucked (no pun intended) he set off to help them frame the rights of the working man, where people lived under a divine deity, hence making him someone power. So quoting Voltaire about the "power" to commit injustices is in itself absurd. Voltaire was also a man of great wealth himself, a true landowner and property owner, yet he would nevr dare call for his wealth to be redistributed.

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
  • Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
Re: Voltaire
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 11:48:02 AM »
That's incredible  :o  for so many reasons, especially when you consider Voltaire died in 1788, the year Byron was born.

Well, you attack youandme's factual assertion (which is false), the message is still true, I quote:

"As a result of a hierarchy of nations, Negroes are thus slaves of other men ... a people that sells its own children is more condemnable than the buyer; this commerce demonstrates our superiority; he who gives himself a master was born to have one."

AND:

"It is a serious question among them whether [the Africans] are descended from monkeys or whether the monkeys come from them.  Our wise men have said that man was created in the image of God.  Now here is a lovely image of the Divine Maker: a flat and black nose with little or hardly any intelligence. A time will doubtless come when these animals will know how to cultivate the land well, beautify their houses and gardens, and know the paths of the stars: one needs time for everything."

Check the highlighted text in second quote, quite amazing!

His thoughts on islam still ring true to this day tho:

"But that a camel-merchant should stir up insurrection in his village; that in league with some miserable followers he persuades them that he talks with the angel Gabriel; that he boasts of having been carried to heaven, where he received in part this unintelligible book, each page of which makes common sense shudder; that, to pay homage to this book, he delivers his country to iron and flame; that he cuts the throats of fathers and kidnaps daughters; that he gives to the defeated the choice of his religion or death: this is assuredly nothing any man can excuse, at least if he was not born a Turk, or if superstition has not extinguished all natural light in him."

Note Voltaire asserts some aspects of islamism which still ring true (unfortunately) today.
الاسلام هو شيطانية

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 06:04:38 PM »
Well, you attack youandme's factual assertion (which is false), the message is still true, I quote:

Yes, I was referring to the idea that Voltaire was sending political correspondence to a 3-month old child he had never met.  Apparently he was also very much involved in a revolution that took place a year after his death too. it's magic.  :D

That other stuff you quoted... you know Nordic that was pretty much what all Europeans of the time thought. Even Darwin was a little racist if you get right down to it.

That doesn't negate his political astuteness.  Voltaire was a brilliant businessman, believed in free trade and amassed great wealth, openly criticized the stranglehold the Catholic Church had on its people, hated paying taxes so upper-tier clergy could sit on their fat asses doing little and living like kings (sound familiar?) was willing to fight a duel to the death to defend his honor, mocked corrupt government and suffered exile and prison many times for his convictions, plus was a great writer to boot. Of course he's quoted profusely... he was a highly intelligent, witty, excellent critic of his society.

Goebbels (or whatever Nazi it was) is often quoted as saying the same thing and no one bats an eye, or poo-poos the source.  That's cause essentially, it's the truth.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 06:07:25 PM »
Yes, I was referring to the idea that Voltaire was sending political correspondence to a 3-month old child he had never met.  Apparently he was also very much involved in a revolution that took place a year after his death too. it's magic.  :D

it's magic that you know how to use wikepedia

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 06:18:34 PM »
it's magic that you know how to use wikepedia

Nah, I opted for one of those useless educations.  But you could take a look yourself.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 06:24:39 PM »
Nah, I opted for one of those useless educations.  But you could take a look yourself.

Oh you mean the one where you would have learned that critical authors as Moliere, Montesquieu, Voltaire, and Rousseau, to name only a few of the most famous of them, combined together and feed off one another to create a trio in order to prompt social awareness in terms of liberty and equality?

Don't worry not all schools are created equally.

Voltaire was indeed one of the first writers of his century to realize the urgent need for reform in French tragedy, going against Burke calling for an upheavel rather than secured sanctioned violence.

So your saying that all writers and power brokers from this time viewed the negro and Muslim as slaves?

A great writer? Whaaaa, wow.

ta ta

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 03:40:42 AM »
That other stuff you quoted... you know Nordic that was pretty much what all Europeans of the time thought. Even Darwin was a little racist if you get right down to it.

If you get right down to it EVERYONE today is a little racist, so any racism at all is OK.
الاسلام هو شيطانية

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 03:48:21 PM »
If you get right down to it EVERYONE today is a little racist, so any racism at all is OK.

People are subject to the norms of their societies. All most Europeans knew about Africans at the time, since they were without National Geographic and technology, were stories of hut dwellers who worshipped sun gods.  Besides, he never advocated slavery, just said that those willing to sell their own people deserve to be slaves.

That quote Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities, has the power to make you commit injustices has been paraphrased by the Nazis... would you not say they had a point? Some would say it was the reason the US was so easily convinced to invade Iraq.

You always start threads about Islam... why DO those people strap on bombs and blow up innocents if not for that same reason?

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 03:51:18 PM »
People are subject to the norms of their societies. All most Europeans knew about Africans at the time, since they were without National Geographic and technology, were stories of hut dwellers who worshipped sun gods.  Besides, he never advocated slavery, just said that those willing to sell their own people deserve to be slaves.

That quote Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities, has the power to make you commit injustices has been paraphrased by the Nazis... would you not say they had a point? Some would say it was the reason the US was so easily convinced to invade Iraq.

You always start threads about Islam... why DO those people strap on bombs and blow up innocents if not for that same reason?

I believe, to be precise, it was Goebels.

I guess no answer is also an answer with regards to the marriage question, eh? :-\
I hate the State.

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2008, 04:09:26 PM »
I believe, to be precise, it was Goebels.

I guess no answer is also an answer with regards to the marriage question, eh? :-\

I thought it was Goebels but too lazy to look it up!

What marriage question  ???   

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2008, 04:19:08 PM »

No, people are subject to their genetic wiring (as well as societal influences). Whether you like to blame society or not, tribalism is a survival tactic.
الاسلام هو شيطانية

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2008, 04:19:34 PM »
I thought it was Goebels but too lazy to look it up!

What marriage question  ???   

I asked you if you would consider marrying me...sigh.
I hate the State.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2008, 04:22:11 PM »

"Racism is a blanket of security" Edmund Burke

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2008, 04:25:39 PM »
"Racism is a blanket of security" Edmund Burke

Eh?

Prejudice is the clothing of the mind.
-Edmund Burke
I hate the State.

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2008, 06:09:11 PM »
"Then, the doctor told me that BOTH my eyes were lazy! And that's why it was the best summer ever." - Ralph Wiggum

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2008, 06:26:26 PM »
Eh?

Prejudice is the clothing of the mind.
-Edmund Burke

"Reflections on the Revolution in France"

He was buddies with Samuel Boswell Johnson, who was a slave owner and a powerful power broker to the elite, who hardly had anything nice to say about blacks, indians or persons who migrated to the New World. Guy loved to subjugate territories so much, he wanted all of the individuals that came over to the American Colonies to be sent back as servents, haha.