Author Topic: Shogun accepts fight against Rampage in December  (Read 1395 times)

Dreadlord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
Shogun accepts fight against Rampage in December
« on: August 24, 2008, 02:09:45 PM »
Elite-level light-heavyweight Mauricio "Shogun" Rua (16-3 MMA, 0-1 UFC) will look to finally rebound from a disappointing Sept. 2007 UFC debut in December according to the Brazilian website Tatame.com.

Rua made a verbal agreement with the UFC to face ex-light-heavyweight champion Quinton "Rampage" Jackson (28-7 MMA, 3-1 UFC). Rua and Jackson met in 2005 under the PRIDE banner, with Rua earning a first-round knockout.

"I’ll be back in December," Rua told Tatame.com. "[The UFC] said that I might fight with Quinton Jackson, but nothing has been signed yet. They called me and offered a fight with him and I accepted, but they didn’t say anything else."

Rua is well-aware of Jackson's recent legal struggles, but feels confident Jackson will be available for the bout.

"[Jackson's troubles] surely can be a problem, but I want him back in December and against me," Rua said. "And I believe he can be back."

Rua has struggled through injuries that pre-dated his UFC 76 loss to light-heavyweight champion Forrest Griffin. The injuries forced Rua out of his UFC 85 bout with Chuck Liddell.

Rua said he has recovered fully and is back to training.

"I’m back to training," Rua said. "I’m doing some Muay Thai and jiu-jitsu stuff, and thank God everything is fine now."

First Wandy now Shogun. The speculation continues. I thought Dana said that Rampage will be out for awhile

Dball

Re: Shogun accepts fight against Rampage in December
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 04:20:25 PM »
Shogun messed him up in their last fight.  Everyone always remembers Wandy putting Rampage through the ropes, but I think Rua just plain dominated him.  Rampage looked to have flashes of hope in both Wandy fights, but Rua was all over him the entire fight.

Things are not looking so hot for Jackson, I'm afraid to say.  His camp is in total dissaray.  His confidence in the ring is solely dependent on his level of spirituality at any given time.  The majority of the MMA following world thinks he crazy.  Poor guy.

Dreadlord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 04:25:24 PM »
Shogun messed him up in their last fight.  Everyone always remembers Wandy putting Rampage through the ropes, but I think Rua just plain dominated him.  Rampage looked to have flashes of hope in both Wandy fights, but Rua was all over him the entire fight.

Things are not looking so hot for Jackson, I'm afraid to say.  His camp is in total dissaray.  His confidence in the ring is solely dependent on his level of spirituality at any given time.  The majority of the MMA following world thinks he crazy.  Poor guy.

That part is pretty sad. I think he was on that fasting thing of his before the rematch with wandy. He was doing ok until his energy flatlined

Dball

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 04:30:33 PM »
That part is pretty sad. I think he was on that fasting thing of his before the rematch with wandy. He was doing ok until his energy flatlined

Yeah he really was. I was thinking he may actually pull it off and then like you said, his reserve energy just wasn't there.  It's gotta be hard work to try to pull out of Wandy's clinches.  It makes you wonder who was in his camp allowing him to fast like a zealot right before a fight, and with Wandy no less. Who thought that was a good idea?

Dreadlord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 04:35:31 PM »
Yeah he really was. I was thinking he may actually pull it off and then like you said, his reserve energy just wasn't there.  It's gotta be hard work to try to pull out of Wandy's clinches.  It makes you wonder who was in his camp allowing him to fast like a zealot right before a fight, and with Wandy no less. Who thought that was a good idea?

I think he had gotten this fasting thing off the internet (of all places  ::)). Supposedly to exorcise the devil from your body  :-\. What surprises me is that his coaches didn't step in and put a stop to that nonsense. Even though Juanito is another zealot surely he'd have realized the danger of fasting prior to a big title fight. Rampage doesn't seem to have people with common sense around him to properly advise him .

Tragic

Dball

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 04:39:25 PM »
Hell, I'd fight Rampage if he hadn't eaten in three days...

Dreadlord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 04:43:25 PM »
Hell, I'd fight Rampage if he hadn't eaten in three days...

Well the fact that he lasted 5 rounds with forrest under those conditions is pretty impressive. I think the adrenalin kept rampage going and once it all wore off the delusions began.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 05:12:43 PM »
Damn, I really wanted to see Chuck fight Rua.

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 06:31:56 PM »
Damn, I really wanted to see Chuck fight Rua.

you probably will after rua sends page into retirement

gymrat75

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 08:39:35 PM »
It could be a much different fight this time around, I mean Rampage did do a hell of alot better against Griffin then Rua did!!!

Faust

• Getbig IV
  • It's a league game, Smokey
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 01:55:53 AM »
It could be a much different fight this time around, I mean Rampage do do a hell of alot better against Griffin then Rua did!!!
Yes. And if i remember correctly Jackson had his rib broken early in the fight with Shogun, that's the main reason he looked so bad in that fight. Of course, credits to Rua for breaking it.

But this is no gift at all for Shogun. He's coming from a serious injury, and Rampage will be focussed and wanting to prove something.
$

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2008, 03:05:57 AM »
MMA math sucks guys, don't fall into that trap.

Logan32

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2008, 05:38:54 AM »
MMA math sucks guys, don't fall into that trap.

Yes it does because as we all know:

Chuck > Silva > Jardine > Forest > Rampage so if I figure this out right Chuck should beat Jar... hmm that does not figure oh wait a minute Silva beat Rampage so Chuck will beat Ramp.... well that does not work either crap I guess it is back to the drawling board  ;)

gymrat75

• Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2008, 06:31:59 AM »
This means Machada will be the champ  ;D

Dball

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2008, 08:44:09 AM »
He's coming from a serious injury, and Rampage will be focussed and wanting to prove something.

I really think his mental capacity for training will be tested more than anything, and the questions and comparisons to Tyson will start to roll out.

TheIronWarrior

• Getbig II
  • Do you know Meecho?
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2008, 12:41:24 PM »
you probably will after rua sends page into retirement

It's gonna be that bad brah? Damnit... I was hoping Page would come back in dominating. Instead, he's probably gonna get peeled.