Author Topic: Move over Michelle - Obama's in love with NAFTA  (Read 1480 times)

youandme

• Getbig V
Move over Michelle - Obama's in love with NAFTA
« on: August 25, 2008, 08:53:26 PM »
BARACK OBAMA: I believe in free trade, and as somebody who lived overseas, who has family overseas, I've seen what's happened in terms of rising living standards around the globe, and that's a good thing for America, it's good for our national security.

I don't think NAFTA has been good for America, and I never have.

I believe in Free Trade.

...that's a good thing for America, it's good for our national security.

I think we should use the hammer of a potential opt-out as leverage, to ensure that we actually get labor and environmental standards that are enforced.

I believe in Free Trade.

.....But what I refuse to accept is that we have to sign trade deals like the South Korean agreement.

That's why I opposed NAFTA, that's why I voted against CAFTA, that's why it didn't make sense to normalize trade relations with China without asking more from China. I will oppose the Columbia Free Trade Agreement.

SCREEN: "[Obama] said the United State [sic] should work with the World Trade Organization and pursue deals such as the North American Free Trade Agreement, but the country must be more aggressive about protecting American interests." (Christopher Wills, "Senate Candidates Speak on Farm, Trade Issues," The Associated Press -- 9/9/04)

BARACK OBAMA: That's a good thing for America, It's good for our national security.

I want to be very clear, I don't think NAFTA has been good for America, and I never have.

SCREEN: What does he really believe? Barack Obama Not Ready To Lead

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
Re: Move over Michelle - Obama's in love with NAFTA
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 08:59:20 PM »
I miss Ron Paul

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 11:24:12 PM »
Just because someone likes the idea of 'FREE TRADE' as a concept, doesn't mean they will automatically be enamoured with a Free Trade agreement that leaves them with the short end of the stick.

You all may think exercise is a good thing, ...but let someone try to work you 23.5 hours a day and see how quickly you may want to re-think it.
w

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 11:28:50 PM »
I think he's absolutely correct... Free trade is a good thing, but you have to make sure you're not just giving and giving... You should receive something to offset the fact your jobs are going elsewhere... NAFTA in it's current form has put a big dent on the US middle class... I believe it can work, but needs a slight overhaul.

What is wrong with that?

Seems like he's making sense and people don't like it.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 11:44:34 PM »
I miss Ron Paul

I hear you there.

Nafta has done nothing to help our situation over here in the west. Nothing at all. If it hasnt been fixed in all the years it's been in effect so far, it never will be.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 06:25:27 AM »
I basically agree with him on this point.  Free trade is the goal, but not when there is a lopsided trade relationship.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 06:32:05 AM »
I'll take Obama's opinion on this.  Ron Paul would be the ideal, but at least Obama recognizes that Nafta needs to be renegotiated and there seems to be more of the "fair trade" concept included in Obama's words and especially more stated among dems than republicans.  No doubt that the trade ideals of the republican party are written by the corporations and I'm sure dems get bought too, but there are actually quite a few dems who are pretty solid on the statement that the current trade course needs reworked.  republicans seem enthusiastic about the current system.