Author Topic: 'We will get sued on Nov. 4,' Ohio official predicts  (Read 1363 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
'We will get sued on Nov. 4,' Ohio official predicts
« on: August 25, 2008, 09:21:13 PM »
DENVER -- As many as 80 percent of Ohio's registered voters could turn out on Election Day, says the state's top election official.

"Looking at the interest in this election, we think it's highly probable," Ohio Secretary of State Jennifer Brunner said during a panel discussion on election reforms.

Brunner addressed controversy in the state over use of electronic voting machines in the past.

While she was unwilling to force counties to completely abandon DRE machines, she said all voters would have the option to vote on a paper ballot and officials were implementing more stringent security procedures in the 53 counties that still used electronic machines. Brunner said she could not fund the switch from electronic voting in those counties and did not want to implement an unfunded mandate on areas of the already economically struggling state.

Cuyahoga County, which includes Ohio's largest city, Cleveland, stopped using Diebold machines this year, before the state's March primary. It was a move Brunner put in motion after she broke a tie vote on the county's board of elections.

"I do think the paper ballot system proved to us to be a much better system for Cuyahoga County," said Jane Platten, director of Cuyahoga County's board.

Cuyahoga County was subject to a lawsuit filed just before polls closed during the March 4 primary and precincts there were forced to stay open to account for long lines of voters. Platten said she hopes paper ballots will allow poll workers to accommodate more voters, but said she expected there would still be long lines and legal challenges.

"We will get sued on Nov. 4, 2008," she said. "I got into the election assuming that."

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
Re: 'We will get sued on Nov. 4,' Ohio official predicts
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 01:56:52 AM »
Cool, I'm voting on paper.
S

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 08:18:52 AM »
Its amazing some people couldn't figure out how to use the electronic ballots.

paper ballots are just fine IMO.  We here in Cuyahoga county have wasted enough $ in this ordeal.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 08:27:12 AM »

We had paper with the little punch machine in Ventura County.  That gave us the ability to visually double-check our answers. 

Those cards were read by machine, but the actual ballots were saved for recounts, if needed. 

Ohio and Missouri are going to be heavily dogged in November.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 09:37:10 AM »
Great...more bad press about Cleveland, we definitely don't need it.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 10:39:31 AM »
I prefer e-ballots.  Much easier.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 11:21:03 AM »
Remember - there WERE paper ballots in Ohio in 2004.

Republicans sued to have them NOT counted to verify the electronic count.

They're still locked up to this day - they've never been counted.  There's a fairly large statistical change they won't match the e-voting.  It's irrelevant of course, as Bush's term is almost over.  But if Obama manages to steal a state in a simliar manner - and then the DNC sues to keep the backups from even being counted - a lot of people smug in 2004 might be a little miffed this time.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 12:15:11 PM »
Remember - there WERE paper ballots in Ohio in 2004.

Republicans sued to have them NOT counted to verify the electronic count.

They're still locked up to this day - they've never been counted.  There's a fairly large statistical change they won't match the e-voting.  It's irrelevant of course, as Bush's term is almost over.  But if Obama manages to steal a state in a simliar manner - and then the DNC sues to keep the backups from even being counted - a lot of people smug in 2004 might be a little miffed this time.

What lawsuit are you talking about?  This one? 

New lawsuit alleges ballot tampering in 2004 election
Group says ballots in Democratic precincts were pre-punched, negating Kerry votes
Friday, September 01, 2006
Jim Siegel
THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

A coalition of critics of the 2004 election is insisting it has uncovered new evidence of ballot tampering in Ohio that caused a number of John Kerry?s votes to get tossed out.

The group filed a federal civilrights lawsuit yesterday, asking U.S. District Judge Algenon L. Marbley to declare that Ohioans? voting rights were violated in 2004 and to appoint a special master to ensure fairness in the 2006 election.

The lawsuit alleges that Secretary of State J. Kenneth Blackwell and others conspired to deprive Ohioans of their right to vote. Prior election-related lawsuits by those affiliated with the coalition have been dismissed by various judges.

Richard Hayes Phillips, a Canton, N.Y., resident working with groups such as the Ohio Honest Elections Campaign, said he has examined thousands of punch-card ballots cast in heavily Democratic inner-city precincts that were tossed out because of over- or under-voting in the presidential race.

Phillips said he found that on more than 1,900 ballots in six urban counties, there was a vote for President Bush or Sen. John Kerry and a second vote for one of the two independent candidates. In such cases, no presidential vote is counted.

The problem was so prevalent and seemingly concentrated in every fifth precinct that he concluded the ballots in the urban areas were pre-punched.

Someone, he said, punched the slot for an independent candidate beforehand, so a vote for Bush or Kerry was invalid. The problem, he said, impacted Kerry far more.

"I find it difficult to believe that in every fifth precinct, voters are really stupid and are more prone to make this kind of error," he said.

John Williams, director of the board of elections in Hamilton County, one of the areas where Phillips said he suspects tampering, said such a conspiracy would have to involve both Democratic and Republican elections workers.

"It?s virtually impossible for anything they?re talking about to be true," he said. "There are over-votes in every precinct. If you limit it to certain precincts, you can adjust figures any way you want."

Overall, 93,000 presidential votes went uncounted in Ohio?s 2004 election, fewer than in 2000 and less than President Bush?s margin of victory.

John S. Marshall, attorney for the group of critics of the 2004 election, including the King-Lincoln Bronzeville Neighborhood Association in Columbus, said he also plans to ask the court to order county boards to preserve all ballots and data from the 2004 election so further analysis can be completed.

The group already has asked Blackwell and the attorney general?s office to require counties to preserve the 2004 election data. Blackwell said he is willing to ask the boards not to destroy ballots, but the decision ultimately is a local one.

Blackwell acknowledged yesterday that there were problems in the 2004 election, but said no one has proven there was massive fraud that would have changed the outcome.

Blackwell said the allegations are being raised in part for partisan political reasons because he is the Republican candidate for governor this fall.

"I would suggest to you now that there are those who are using the court system for what the election arena should be used for, and that is to advance political agendas," he said.

Dispatch reporter Mark Niquette contributed to this story.

http://www.columbusdispatch.com/live/contentbe/dispatch/2006/09/01/20060901-E3-00.html

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 12:21:27 PM »
nah, earlier.  right after the outcome.  very fishy findings that night.  exit polls had a 1 in 50,000 chance of Bush winning.  Everyone just kept saying "kerry".   Then there was some sort of power outage, wasn't there?  Jag, you know the story better than we americans do.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 01:52:55 PM »
This one?  Doesn't sound like "Republicans" suing to stop a recount. 

Ohio: Lawsuit Over Provisional Ballots
Published: November 27, 2004
A watchdog group sued to try to stop Cuyahoga County's elections board from rejecting thousands of provisional ballots until they were hand-checked against voter registration cards. The group, People for the American Way, contended that the board wrongly relied only on computerized registration records. Two-thirds of the 24,472 provisional ballots cast in the county, which includes Cleveland, were found to be valid, but another 8,099 were thrown out, mostly because the people who cast them were not found on the county's computerized records. The group filed the suit in the Eighth District Court of Appeals against Secretary of State J. Kenneth Blackwell and the Cuyahoga County Board of Elections. The deadline for counties to complete their official counts is Wednesday.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9A07E7DF133EF934A15752C1A9629C8B63

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 02:02:09 PM »
This one?  Doesn't sound like "Republicans" suing to stop a recount. 

Ohio: Lawsuit Over Provisional Ballots
Published: November 27, 2004
A watchdog group sued to try to stop Cuyahoga County's elections board from rejecting thousands of provisional ballots until they were hand-checked against voter registration cards. The group, People for the American Way, contended that the board wrongly relied only on computerized registration records. Two-thirds of the 24,472 provisional ballots cast in the county, which includes Cleveland, were found to be valid, but another 8,099 were thrown out, mostly because the people who cast them were not found on the county's computerized records. The group filed the suit in the Eighth District Court of Appeals against Secretary of State J. Kenneth Blackwell and the Cuyahoga County Board of Elections. The deadline for counties to complete their official counts is Wednesday.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9A07E7DF133EF934A15752C1A9629C8B63
there is something there, it's been a while but I remember there was an issue where the ballots didn't get counted.  Next time I run across it, I'll bring it up.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 02:42:23 PM »
there is something there, it's been a while but I remember there was an issue where the ballots didn't get counted.  Next time I run across it, I'll bring it up.

I'm interested in the lawsuit 240 mentioned:  "Republicans sued to have them NOT counted to verify the electronic count."