Author Topic: Does anyone here sew w/a sewing machine?  (Read 5634 times)

Butterbean

• Getbig V
Does anyone here sew w/a sewing machine?
« on: August 26, 2008, 06:01:35 AM »

Migs?
R

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
Re: Does anyone here sew w/a sewing machine?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 07:42:13 AM »

Migs?
I used to.   ;D

But not anymore, no time, no desire.
:D Weee

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 08:02:20 AM »
My mom used to sew with a machine.  She still has it but never uses it anymore.

My old man sewed a button for me (what would I do without his services)... but he did it by hand.  :D

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 08:20:18 AM »
My wife is still very handy with a sewing machine and over locker.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 10:37:50 AM »
over locker.

What is an over locker?

I bought a sewing machine a couple years ago but have never taken it out of the box.  Laura, should I take a class (since there's no way I'll read the directions)?  Is it worth it? 
R

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 10:43:21 AM »
What is an over locker?

I bought a sewing machine a couple years ago but have never taken it out of the box.  Laura, should I take a class (since there's no way I'll read the directions)?  Is it worth it? 

Looks like this thingy

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 02:09:48 PM »
What is an over locker?

Might be a good idea if you don't plan on reading anything.  Threading/loading a bobbin, threading the machine/needle and stitch sizes are important to know before using it.  You could wreck the machine otherwise.  :-\

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 07:33:10 PM »
I have an OLD Sears Kenmore handed down from my grandmother!  Still works like a charm  :P - but I never use it.

Lessons could come in handy depending on what you're looking to do.  You could get all crafty and make pillows, curtains, table runners, napkins, or other straight stitch, easy pattern stuff. 

Maybe you could make some cute costumes for the pups!  :P

http://www.lovetosew.com/pets.htm

:

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 06:45:57 AM »
 ;D

R

Hustle Man

• Getbig IV
  • What is the most common form of stupidity?
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 02:29:42 PM »
Seriously are there no women here that sew or have ever sewn before (even as a hobby from time to time)? You know like make your own clothes or even mend a garment?

This is like a man not knowing how to change a flat tire on his bicycle or change the oil in his car.

ladies speak on this (oops maybe I should not call you ladies anymore).

HM (I have holes in my socks and they needs a mending)

W

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 06:13:09 PM »
Seriously are there no women here that sew or have ever sewn before (even as a hobby from time to time)? You know like make your own clothes or even mend a garment?

This is like a man not knowing how to change a flat tire on his bicycle or change the oil in his car.

ladies speak on this (oops maybe I should not call you ladies anymore).

I believe Stella was the only one who said she hadn't sewn with a sewing machine HM. 

But, let's talk about your other claim....I can change a tire, I have pulled a thermostate and radiator.  I have even changed out the plugs, wires, cap and rotor (with some assistance, but my ex was an ass and would make me do everything myself) on my Chrysler Sebring (and before you go whoopie ... research the engine....it's mounted sideways and if you wanna change the battery...you have to remove the front drivers side wheel.  Everything is screwed up under the hood, but you can drive through a 2 foot deep puddle with that car, I've done it.). 

Sooooooooo, if I can do all that (and more) why can't you mend a sock?   ;)

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 06:32:18 PM »

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2008, 08:58:50 PM »
I believe Stella was the only one who said she hadn't sewn with a sewing machine HM. 

But, let's talk about your other claim....I can change a tire, I have pulled a thermostate and radiator.  I have even changed out the plugs, wires, cap and rotor (with some assistance, but my ex was an ass and would make me do everything myself) on my Chrysler Sebring (and before you go whoopie ... research the engine....it's mounted sideways and if you wanna change the battery...you have to remove the front drivers side wheel.  Everything is screwed up under the hood, but you can drive through a 2 foot deep puddle with that car, I've done it.). 

Way to go!

Well, I haven't created a garment since high school (project). Prior to that, I sewed quite a bit with my mother & grandmother.  Both of them had "sewing rooms" ie: dedicated areas with the entire set up.  It's a real pain in the a$$ hauling out the machine and everything and then putting it all away for small infrequent projects. My most recent project was a few Christmas' ago where I made wine bottle bags for gifts.  Of course wine was included  ;D

Well, I wouldn't know how to change a flat on my bike (it's on my learn to-do list), but I've rotated (and balanced) many a tire, changed the oil, changed plugs, belts, hoses, brakes and various other fluids, etc.  Most of it done in shops with all the tools, hoists, air guns, etc. readily available.  Would I change a flat on the side of the road or crawl under the car now? Not a chance! :P

adies speak on this (oops maybe I should not call you ladies anymore).

If they're old enough to have holes, they're old enough to be replaced!

For some reason I'm reminded of My Cousin Vinny  ;D

:

Hustle Man

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2008, 07:55:58 AM »

Ok Ms. thang you are all that and a quart of motor oil!  :D

FYI, Since I have been eating all this Tofu I can mend a sock, get emotional and bake a cake too so... :P

Seriously I am impressed with your automotive knowledge and repair skills. I am teaching my daughters the same as well and I think everyone should have basic knowledge about the vehicle they drive and how to fix simple repairs e.g. (changing out the plugs, wires, cap and rotor, battery and rotating the tires.

If they're old enough to have holes, they're old enough to be replaced!
Thats the easy way out  ;D. I am one of those guys that hates to get rid of certain clothes from my glory days so I try to mend everything. I still have a pair of those rayon/polyester Coaches shorts from the 80's; I will never get rid of those things even though they have dingleberries all over lol

For some reason I'm reminded of My Cousin Vinny

I was thinking the same lol
W

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2008, 12:47:18 PM »
I am one of those guys that hates to get rid of certain clothes from my glory days so I try to mend everything. I still have a pair of those rayon/polyester Coaches shorts from the 80's; I will never get rid of those things even though they have dingleberries all over lol

Please do a google search on "what is a dingleberry?" and see if you might wanna edit that post  ;D otherwise, the mental image we all have of you is in serious jeopardy!
:

Hustle Man

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2008, 02:45:31 PM »
Please do a google search on "what is a dingleberry?" and see if you might wanna edit that post  ;D otherwise, the mental image we all have of you is in serious jeopardy!

OMG PL LOL

Where I grew up, dingleberries were the lint balls on cheap clothing after they were washed and dried (with out the poop of course) lol

OMG

HM Dads Against Dingle Berries
W

mish

• Getbig III
  • We'll start the ass-kissing with you.
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2008, 03:56:30 PM »

Migs?

HAHAHAHA

To answer your question... NO. I couldn't thread a sewing machine if my life depended on it (I choose cooking over sewing in high school) besides that's what tailor's are for  ;D
BKS approved

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2008, 02:36:22 AM »
:

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2008, 08:15:21 AM »
HAHAHAHA

To answer your question... NO. I couldn't thread a sewing machine if my life depended on it (I choose cooking over sewing in high school) besides that's what tailor's are for  ;D
Mish?? ?? ??  Where have ya been?? ?? ??  Glad to see you back.   ;D

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2008, 08:16:30 AM »

Ewww, so gross and yet so funny.   ;D

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2008, 02:44:24 PM »
No, but I keep a small sewing kit in the glove compartment, just in case a button falls off, or if a lady needs some help as well.

Hell, I even keep a spare suit and tie in the trunk, just like Jason Stratham's character.

Hustle Man

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2008, 08:29:11 PM »
Hell, I even keep a spare suit and tie in the trunk, just like Jason Stratham's character.

Playa, Playa!
W

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2008, 11:51:23 PM »

But do you have the Audi and the kung fu  :)

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2008, 11:35:23 AM »
what the hell!
;D

HAHAHAHA

Hi mish!!!

;D

One time I was walking my dogs down the street to "do their business."  A truck came barrelling past w/3 guys in the cab.  One had his bare butt hanging out the window mooning us.  They were all laughing.  (Probably) unbeknownst to them the street is a cul-de-sac and they had to turn around and drive back by me.

I yelled something out and the driver slowed a bit and ask "What?"  I repeated, "Ya got dingleberries!"  We all laughed.

Later I called my cop friend to find out their names (I wasn't going to get anyone in trouble I was just curious) and it turned out to be a company truck ;D
R

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2008, 02:56:27 PM »
But do you have the Audi and the kung fu  :)

No, I have Lexus, the Kung Fu part I have to work on
Playa, Playa!

I was at a dinner party one night. I was sitting on the arm of a sofa, and a got Patte on my shirt and tie, she was very apologetic I said, "no worries, I have a spare shirt and tie in the car". She had a impressed look on her face, too bad she wasn't married. ;D

As far as the needle and thread, my mother always taught me to be prepared, and Yes I know how to use a sewing machine. Be it electric or the old style ones (I kinda forgot them)