Author Topic: I Want To Hear Everyones Training Philosophy.......  (Read 12059 times)

The Coach

Re: I Want To Hear Everyones Training Philosophy.......
« Reply #100 on: August 27, 2008, 12:42:55 PM »
coach, lets hear yours.

This is a repost, but here it is again.

This is why I include mine on the home page of my site............

Our “Raise Your Game” philosophy is more than just the latest research and training principles. We dedicate ourselves to motivating your athletes to not only excel as athletes, but to realize their personal potential and develop the skills they'll need to succeed in life; skills such as discipline, confidence, preparation, self-motivation and leadership.

The Role of a Strength and Conditioning Coach
The Strength and Conditioning Coach is responsible for improving an athlete's performance and preventing common sports related injuries. By determining the strengths and weaknesses of an athlete, a training program is devised to enhance performance and correct imbalances and deficiencies which may lead to injury.

Technical Skill v/s Athletic Skill
Participation in sports requires a blend of technical skills and athletic skills. The exact amount of each is dependent on the sport and level of competition. Technical skills, such as throwing for the baseball player or shooting for the lacrosse player, are required explicitly by each sport. Between tournaments, leagues, games and practices, technical skills are, at times, practiced 5-6 days per week for the greater part of the calendar year. Athletic skills such as power, strength, flexibility, balance, speed and agility are required by all sports but their role and level of importance in each sport will vary. Athletic skills training will enhance the execution of technical skills, increase performance and prevent injury.

Athletic Skills Development
MPF Training Systems focus on the long-term development of each athlete through an emphasis on stability training before power and strength training. Athletes must demonstrate the ability to execute movements that require body weight control, balance and core stability before strength and power training exercises are progressed. Traditional training models used for high school athletes require maximum or near maximum strength and power movements in the early stages of training putting athletes at risk for the development of permanent muscular imbalances, decrease sport performance and potential injury.

Performance Enhancement Programs – The Athlete
MPF provides performance enhancement programs to athletes of all sports, skill levels and age groups.  integrated training model focuses on the long term development of each athlete emphasizing:
---- • Speed Development
---- • Multi-Directional Agility
---- • Injury Prevention
---- • Nutritional Planning
---- • Flexibility
---- • Balance
---- • Core Strength
---- • Power
---- • Muscular Strength
---- • Cardiovascular Endurance

chester_bbb

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
  • #1 Shawn Ray fan!
« Reply #101 on: August 27, 2008, 12:45:47 PM »
But it is THEIR philosophy and they are entitled too it. But I have seen and read these "scientific" studies by people like Poliquin and other so called gurus who claim this and that, but the real test is can you get someone to perform in the same way without gear....again, anything will work when on gear.

If anything will work on gear why don't you look half as good as Milos?

The Coach

« Reply #102 on: August 27, 2008, 12:47:10 PM »
If anything will work on gear why don't you look half as good as Milos?

.......but look a 1000x better than you? I'm not talking about looks, I'm talking about strength retard.

chester_bbb

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
  • #1 Shawn Ray fan!
« Reply #103 on: August 27, 2008, 12:58:29 PM »
.......but look a 1000x better than you? I'm not talking about looks, I'm talking about strength retard.

Hey saggy you're always bashing his training sytem. And I'm sure he's much stronger than you dirty wetback. :-*

The Coach

« Reply #104 on: August 27, 2008, 01:29:30 PM »
Hey saggy you're always bashing his training sytem. And I'm sure he's much stronger than you dirty wetback. :-*

You sound like one of the leaches who's lips are attached to Milos' bean bag that trains at his gym.

chester_bbb

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
  • #1 Shawn Ray fan!
« Reply #105 on: August 27, 2008, 01:56:10 PM »
You sound like one of the leaches who's lips are attached to Milos' bean bag that trains at his gym.

Listen roach Milos is bigger, stronger and more successful than you. Live with it. ;D

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #106 on: August 27, 2008, 01:58:17 PM »
i'm sure both Coach and Milos are great trainers, there's more than one way to skin a cat, both are very successful and both guys look great.

Siphon77

• Getbig II
  • Yoda is my love child
« Reply #107 on: August 27, 2008, 02:01:21 PM »
High Volume Low frequency.  Muscle group targetted directly once a week and as a supporting muscle later on in the week.  Meaning Chest would be targeted with 15-20 sets on monday then on friday when I would do tris I would incorp something like close grip bench or dips.  I believe as unprofessionals who do not get paid to rest train and grow we are subject to a million reasons a day as to why all out intensity could suffer.  With this in mind I like high volume because it just napalms the whole area.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #108 on: August 27, 2008, 02:17:40 PM »
Using different exercises all the time is spasticated.

Do the big main exerises. get good at them.

Boom

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
  • One getbigger to rule them all.
« Reply #109 on: August 27, 2008, 03:03:24 PM »
This is a repost, but here it is again.

This is why I include mine on the home page of my site............

Our “Raise Your Game” philosophy is more than just the latest research and training principles. We dedicate ourselves to motivating your athletes to not only excel as athletes, but to realize their personal potential and develop the skills they'll need to succeed in life; skills such as discipline, confidence, preparation, self-motivation and leadership.

The Role of a Strength and Conditioning Coach
The Strength and Conditioning Coach is responsible for improving an athlete's performance and preventing common sports related injuries. By determining the strengths and weaknesses of an athlete, a training program is devised to enhance performance and correct imbalances and deficiencies which may lead to injury.

Technical Skill v/s Athletic Skill
Participation in sports requires a blend of technical skills and athletic skills. The exact amount of each is dependent on the sport and level of competition. Technical skills, such as throwing for the baseball player or shooting for the lacrosse player, are required explicitly by each sport. Between tournaments, leagues, games and practices, technical skills are, at times, practiced 5-6 days per week for the greater part of the calendar year. Athletic skills such as power, strength, flexibility, balance, speed and agility are required by all sports but their role and level of importance in each sport will vary. Athletic skills training will enhance the execution of technical skills, increase performance and prevent injury.

Athletic Skills Development
MPF Training Systems focus on the long-term development of each athlete through an emphasis on stability training before power and strength training. Athletes must demonstrate the ability to execute movements that require body weight control, balance and core stability before strength and power training exercises are progressed. Traditional training models used for high school athletes require maximum or near maximum strength and power movements in the early stages of training putting athletes at risk for the development of permanent muscular imbalances, decrease sport performance and potential injury.

Performance Enhancement Programs – The Athlete
MPF provides performance enhancement programs to athletes of all sports, skill levels and age groups.  integrated training model focuses on the long term development of each athlete emphasizing:
---- • Speed Development
---- • Multi-Directional Agility
---- • Injury Prevention
---- • Nutritional Planning
---- • Flexibility
---- • Balance
---- • Core Strength
---- • Power
---- • Muscular Strength
---- • Cardiovascular Endurance

yes, thats nice and all, but what about your bodybuilding philosophy? how would you go about putting on the most amount of mass as quickly as possible?
175lbs by 31st July

dantelis

• Getbig IV
  • Mesmerizing, isn't it.
« Reply #110 on: August 27, 2008, 03:13:37 PM »
yes, thats nice and all, but what about your bodybuilding philosophy? how would you go about putting on the most amount of mass as quickly as possible?

Eat at McDonald's every meal?  Oh, you mean lean mass.  ;D

Sounds like Coach is more interested in strength than mass.  His is a powerlifting/strength philosophy, not a bodybuilding philosophy.  Quote from Coach:  "I'm not talking about looks, I'm talking about strength retard." 

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
« Reply #111 on: August 27, 2008, 03:27:59 PM »

Sounds like Coach is more interested in strength than mass.  His is a powerlifting/strength philosophy, not a bodybuilding philosophy.  Quote from Coach:  "I'm not talking about looks, I'm talking about strength retard." 

yes, it seems so, but why?

why isn't he on a powerlifting board for strength ?  or a golf site ? is it perhaps because he would be ripped a new asshole by real athletes that know exactly how to build real strength, and play golf.  ???

www.powerliftinggolfers. com perhaps??? for birdies on the plate and on the green !

coach why are you on getbig?
175lbs by 31st July

Devon97

• Getbig V
  • Keith lives on...
« Reply #112 on: August 27, 2008, 03:41:49 PM »

Thats because he trains athletes. There isnt much of a "bodybuilding market" out there. However sports performance training is a raging market & getting bigger.

In fact  4.1 billion is spent annually on private coaching and sport instruction in this country.

Devon97

• Getbig V
  • Keith lives on...
« Reply #113 on: August 27, 2008, 03:42:55 PM »
Coach,

I never knew what DC training was ( thank goodness) until I came to GB.

What is your take on it?

The Coach

« Reply #114 on: August 27, 2008, 05:14:44 PM »
yes, it seems so, but why?

why isn't he on a powerlifting board for strength ?  or a golf site ? is it perhaps because he would be ripped a new asshole by real athletes that know exactly how to build real strength, and play golf.  ???

www.powerliftinggolfers. com perhaps??? for birdies on the plate and on the green !

coach why are you on getbig?

Fatpanda, I do post on strength and conditioning with REAL athletes, if you would like to pay the subscription to see my postings go to www.strengthcoach.com and www.undergroundstrengthc oach.com and quite a few others. I'm on getbig mostly for entertainment value because when I post something that isn't bodybuilding related like a protocol for training athletes, hardly anyone but Devon97 and few others know the f**k I'm talking about because bodybuilding protocol's haven't changed in almost 50 + years. But with training athletes there are new protocols and proven methods that have been actually published, With bodybuilding there is little of that because the protocol is mostly hit and miss. I also come on this board (and  VanBilderass said it perfectly) because I will always be a bodybuilder no matter what. No matter how hard I try and diss myself from it, it will always be apart of me, I grew up with it.

That being said here's is my philosophy on BODYBUILDING......I wrote this for a bodybuilding site Rob and I created for me a few years ago.

My philosophy is quite simple. Train heavy, train smart with volume, have a plan and train with common sense.  When you walk into the gym you’re there to train and nothing else. No bulls**t, no distractions, no nothing. Put your head down put your earphones in and train hard and most of all train with intensity and by intensity I mean no longer than 1-3 mins between sets, just long enough to recover for the next set and the next and the next. Get in train and get the hell out, it doesn’t matter how long it takes as long as you get it done!

If you want to know what intensity is watch guys like Platz  or just about anyone during that era who took their training seriously. I swear when I go into the gym and see some of these pro’s train and do their 6-8 sets per body part and 2 exercises at 4-6 reps I just think to myself if these guy’s had to do any type of volume training they would die!

After 30+ years of training I’ve had only one serious injury and that happened after 29 years of training. The “HIT” training system is a crock of shit unless you’re a powerlifter or just flat out lazy and like to rest 5 minutes between sets. You’re bodybuilders not powerlifters so train like a bodybuilder. I believe that each individual bodypart should be trained and getting fat in order to obtain size is just stupidity, why gain 40-50lbs in the off season to only gain a few pounds of muscle?

TacoBell

• Getbig V
  • Team FTN
« Reply #115 on: August 27, 2008, 05:57:33 PM »
To be fair Coach, since you were nit picking on other peoples philosophies, yours were about as not specific as possible.
Be they bodybuilding or athletic...... and yes I'm very familiar with the athletic training programs you're likely referencing, but even they are subject to interpretation and can be rendered obsolete.

BlueDevil

• Getbig IV
« Reply #116 on: August 28, 2008, 04:03:47 AM »

mine was the best

i win

mazrim

• Getbig V
« Reply #117 on: August 28, 2008, 06:27:49 AM »

If you want to know what intensity is watch guys like Platz  or just about anyone during that era who took their training seriously. I swear when I go into the gym and see some of these pro’s train and do their 6-8 sets per body part and 2 exercises at 4-6 reps I just think to myself if these guy’s had to do any type of volume training they would die!
[/b][/i]

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but most of the naturals guys that I know of all had/have one thing in common for how they got most of their gains and that was lifting in the 4-8 rep range with low to moderate volume. Or are you just exclusively talking about enhanced bodybuilders ("pro's") here?

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
« Reply #118 on: August 28, 2008, 07:07:51 AM »
Fatpanda, I do post on strength and conditioning with REAL athletes, if you would like to pay the subscription to see my postings go to www.strengthcoach.com and www.undergroundstrengthc oach.com and quite a few others. I'm on getbig mostly for entertainment value because when I post something that isn't bodybuilding related like a protocol for training athletes, hardly anyone but Devon97 and few others know the f**k I'm talking about because bodybuilding protocol's haven't changed in almost 50 + years. But with training athletes there are new protocols and proven methods that have been actually published, With bodybuilding there is little of that because the protocol is mostly hit and miss. I also come on this board (and  VanBilderass said it perfectly) because I will always be a bodybuilder no matter what. No matter how hard I try and diss myself from it, it will always be apart of me, I grew up with it.

That being said here's is my philosophy on BODYBUILDING......I wrote this for a bodybuilding site Rob and I created for me a few years ago.

My philosophy is quite simple. Train heavy, train smart with volume, have a plan and train with common sense.  When you walk into the gym you’re there to train and nothing else. No bulls**t, no distractions, no nothing. Put your head down put your earphones in and train hard and most of all train with intensity and by intensity I mean no longer than 1-3 mins between sets, just long enough to recover for the next set and the next and the next. Get in train and get the hell out, it doesn’t matter how long it takes as long as you get it done!

After 30+ years of training I’ve had only one serious injury and that happened after 29 years of training. The “HIT” training system is a crock of shit unless you’re a powerlifter or just flat out lazy and like to rest 5 minutes between sets. You’re bodybuilders not powerlifters so train like a bodybuilder. I believe that each individual bodypart should be trained and getting fat in order to obtain size is just stupidity, why gain 40-50lbs in the off season to only gain a few pounds of muscle?

i think you would be surprised how many getbiggers would know exactly what you are talking about when you talk about your strength and conditioning protocols. however as for your heavy weight/ high volume approach, can you be more specific?

how about set rep protocols? excercises used? nutritional strategies? split? frequency? you asked for these earlier, so it would only be fair to state the same things yourself.

also have you ever trained bodybuilders ? if so what results did you get with them?

how about yourself? what was your best ever condition?

do you have pics if you competed? and can you also post what steroids you were on throughout this time as clearly this can have a major effect on results.

Also high volume heavy weights have been known to burn out and overtrain many bodybuilders, perhaps one of the reasons as mazrim states most successful natural guys lift in the 4-8 rep range with moderate/low volume. how can you explain this? or is your philosophy exclusive to steroid users? if so what would be your natural training philosophy?
175lbs by 31st July

The Coach

« Reply #119 on: August 28, 2008, 08:38:49 AM »
i think you would be surprised how many getbiggers would know exactly what you are talking about when you talk about your strength and conditioning protocols. however as for your heavy weight/ high volume approach, can you be more specific?

No, I don't think alot do when it comes to athlete protocol, putting together periodizations for the year and into a season, designing programs for some position players, various strength programs (energy system, conjugate, etc,etc,etc) then plyo programs, agility, speed and conditioning, combine programs, etc.

how about set rep protocols? excercises used? nutritional strategies? split? frequency? you asked for these earlier, so it would only be fair to state the same things yourself.

I don't remember asking anyone for these, just wanted peoples philosophies on there training and why they do it that way. Do you realize the length of the answer your asking?

also have you ever trained bodybuilders ? if so what results did you get with them?

Yes, lots. Some for Nationals and state level, local levels, womens bodybuilding (national and pro) none that have placed out the top 5. Stopped training bodybuilders in about 92-93, that s when I started training athletes. I swore I would never train another bodybuilder until the last LA Championships, I trained a kid for his first show in the novice class and he won.

how about yourself? what was your best ever condition?

My best condition was when I was younger, in my early to late 20's, stopped competing at 29, did my first show coming back since last December. If

do you have pics if you competed? and can you also post what steroids you were on throughout this time as clearly this can have a major effect on results.

Yes, I have a ton of pics as many on here will attest to ;D

Also high volume heavy weights have been known to burn out and overtrain many bodybuilders, perhaps one of the reasons as mazrim states most successful natural guys lift in the 4-8 rep range with moderate/low volume. how can you explain this? or is your philosophy exclusive to steroid users? if so what would be your natural training philosophy?

My philosophy remains the same, volume training builds muscle, low volume/heavier weights builds strength. Just a fact thats all.

What you're asking here requires a long answer. I shorted them up.

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
« Reply #120 on: August 28, 2008, 01:17:14 PM »
interesting, when you have the time coach i would like to hear more.
175lbs by 31st July

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
« Reply #121 on: August 28, 2008, 02:10:59 PM »
I honestly dont think it matters what u do in the gym. As long as over time you PROGRESS!

Progression is the key, if your lifts are constantly improving, it really doesnt matter what you do, HIT, OVT, Max OT whatever, it doesnt matter.

If someone is squating 225 for 10 reps right now and in six months is squatting 315 for 10 reps, i guarantee his legs will be bigger!

I think people make this shit too complicated, when its really not. Train hard, improving every training session ( when possible ), eat good clean foods 90% of the time,and dont become obsessive with it ( bodybuilding ) because it will ruin you and your social life.

Just my $.02

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
« Reply #122 on: August 28, 2008, 02:28:58 PM »
i disagree, there improving and theres optimally improving. 8)

for example, nutrient timing has shown that despite intake of similar calories, the person that imploys proper timing will get stronger and build more muscle than a person who doesn't.

in fact theres an effect called the nadir effect which states that any increase in protein sysnthesis through the day will be negated by an equal amount of protein breakdown during the night. proper training and diet can alter/negate this effect.

175lbs by 31st July

kwri298

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #123 on: August 28, 2008, 02:48:21 PM »
Training and diet go hand in hand.  People alter both of these to acheve the desired result.  No method of the training is the best.  Low volume (Yates Style) normally builds alot of strength in addition to size if the calories are high enough.  Higher Volume (12 Sets for small bodyparts, 16 to 25 for large) training builds more size but the calorie intake has to be higher than the a person on a low volume schedule.  Cardio is also adjustable depending on goals, to burn body fat and not lose muscle, low intensity cardio is normally used.  To increase cardio output (V02 Max) high intensity cardio would be the best option.

Offseason Bodybuilder -
High Volume - High Clean Calories
Low Volume - Slightly less calories with some additional slow cardio

Boxer training for a fight-
High Volume - Very High Calories
Very High intensity cardio

chris2489

• Getbig II
« Reply #124 on: August 28, 2008, 04:09:08 PM »
I follow the philosophy of instinctive training.