Author Topic: Richard Dawkins Documentary: The Enemies of Reason  (Read 5175 times)

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
Re: Richard Dawkins Documentary: The Enemies of Reason
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2008, 12:45:03 PM »
  Ha ha ha ha..I love Dawkins and agree with everything he says, but he gets way too upset by stupid people and their stupidity. He should just stop trying to make stupid people realize how stupid they are, and let them live their lives stupidly. Intelligence is genetic after all, and trying to make dummies analyse reality like scientists is self-defeating.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Wrong. Critical thinking is a skill that can be taught, and even though some maybe be better at it than others, it doesn't mean that Dawkins shouldn't try.

kyomu

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • トホカミエミタメ ハラヒタマヒ キヨメタマフ
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2008, 12:46:17 PM »
Science in its pure form is not religion. Unfortunally, many scientists elevate science to an ideology, which they think can compete with religion.
Right. Atitude is different.

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2008, 12:46:53 PM »
So could you finally define what it is you believe?

That's off-topic. It's not necessary to state what I believe in to show the obvious flaws in Dawkins' arguments. As I have said many times, first we have to get the obvious obstacles out of the way. Otherwise we will always talk at cross-purposes.

Glaubst Du an die Wuenschelruete?

I already said that I agree with Dawkins that science is better than superstition. It's just the rest that's garbage.

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2008, 12:49:55 PM »
no it's not. science is allways backed up by studies, observations and facts!

unlike religion which is nothing more than mythology.

i thought you where brighter than this kyomu..

Until that science and those facts are later proven as wrong.  People quickly forget how much science changes and what we once believe as 100% truth, later on is proven as false.

I'm not a fan of organized religion, the "Church" has poisoned and twisted much of it (not just in Christianity) and the fanatics on both sides make it very unappealing to me.  But I do believe in something greater than us and that there are many things our simple minds still cannot comprehend.

In the cosmic sense of it all, why does it matter so much to some people what other people choose or choose not to believe?  Does it really matter?  If you are that shallow to ignore the other aspects of what a human being has to offer just because his beliefs differ from your own, then you are no better than those that you oppose so vehemently.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2008, 12:52:16 PM »
That's off-topic. It's not necessary to state what I believe in to show the obvious flaws in Dawkins' arguments. As I have said many times, first we have to get the obvious obstacles out of the way. Otherwise we will always talk at cross-purposes.

I already said that I agree with Dawkins that science is better than superstition. It's just the rest that's garbage.

The problem is, as always, that your solution is naught but mental masturbation with no end game in sight.
I hate the State.

kyomu

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • トホカミエミタメ ハラヒタマヒ キヨメタマフ
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2008, 12:56:27 PM »
How come you guys are too BLIND to notice that any FACT or STUDY begin with a PREJUDICE?

suckmymuscle

« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2008, 12:56:53 PM »
Wrong. Critical thinking is a skill that can be taught, and even though some maybe be better at it than others, it doesn't mean that Dawkins shouldn't try.

The ability to understand things require the ability to make logical inferences and deductions, and many people are severely lacking in that. People at the lower percentiles of intlligence will never understand the sequence of events that resulted in the current organization of reality, from how biological systems arose and evolved to how the laws of physics organize the Universe and predicts the behavior of particles for instance, which allows us to performe chemical synthesis as well as creating, for instance, computers. You can't teach critical thinking skills to someone who's ability to think is severely limited. So you have shot yourself in the proverbial foot and is wrong - as usual, I might add. ;)

SUCKMYMUSCLE

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2008, 12:57:22 PM »
Until that science and those facts are later proven as wrong.  People quickly forget how much science changes and what we once believe as 100% truth, later on is proven as false.
yes but then corrected with new facts.

trial and error. such is life.

but i recognise that for some people the world is hard to understand so they turn to religion/mythology/spiritualism because it's easier to understand. god created everything. there, now you can sleep well. lol....

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2008, 12:59:33 PM »
The problem is, as always, that your solution is naught but mental masturbation with no end game in sight.

I don't understand your logic. I can easily prove wrong just about everthing Dawkins stands for. Still you choose to follow his simplistic world-view because I cannot provide you with anything better as long as you choose to do so. It just makes no sense to me.

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2008, 01:09:40 PM »
but i recognise that for some people the world is hard to understand so they turn to religion/mythology/spiritualism because it's easier to understand. god created everything. there, now you can sleep well. lol....

What exactly is hard to understand about the scientific principle? It's one of the easiest methods there is.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2008, 01:09:52 PM »
I don't understand your logic. I can easily prove wrong just about everthing Dawkins stands for. Still you choose to follow his simplistic world-view because I cannot provide you with anything better as long as you choose to do so. It just makes no sense to me.

The main point we disagree about is the implications that certain scientific theories have as well as the very structure and nature of the universe having implications as well; you often talk about Ego but if you were to look at the universe in all its immensity, you would see just how small you and I are; these observational facts have profound implications on humanity's world view. We are but specks of dust in an infinitely vaster universe, do you deny this?
I hate the State.

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2008, 01:25:44 PM »
The main point we disagree about is the implications that certain scientific theories have as well as the very structure and nature of the universe having implications as well;

Terms again lack clarity. The very structure and nature of the universe of course has implications. But science tells you nothing about the very structure and nature of the universe.

you often talk about Ego but if you were to look at the universe in all its immensity, you would see just how small you and I are; these observational facts have profound implications on humanity's world view. We are but specks of dust in an infinitely vaster universe, do you deny this?

Of course not. My unimportance however does not stem from any scientific observations. The vastness of the universe goes way beyond its scientific aspects. No wonder however, that it even represents itself in this way.

Zaphod

• Getbig IV
  • IFBB Mr Canada 1970
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2008, 01:28:35 PM »
 The ability to understand things require the ability to make logical inferences and deductions, and many people are severely lacking in that. People at the lower percentiles of intlligence will never understand the sequence of events that resulted in the current organization of reality, from how biological systems arose and evolved to how the laws of physics organize the Universe and predicts the behavior of particles for instance, which allows us to performe chemical synthesis as well as creating, for instance, computers. You can't teach critical thinking skills to someone who's ability to think is severely limited. So you have shot yourself in the proverbial foot and is wrong - as usual, I might add. ;)

SUCKMYMUSCLE

No one is going to suck your "muscle" you self impotrant little twat.

STOP WRITING SUCKMYMUSCLE AFTER EVERY FUCKING POST.  >:(

You have been warned.  8)

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2008, 02:24:59 PM »
Terms again lack clarity. The very structure and nature of the universe of course has implications. But science tells you nothing about the very structure and nature of the universe.
so how does religion explain it better? maybe you can tell us before criticizing science which is the foundation of every modern aspect of society today, aswell as the computer you type on at this very moment ;)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2008, 02:30:15 PM »
so how does religion explain it better? maybe you can tell us before criticizing science which is the foundation of every modern aspect of society today, aswell as the computer you type on at this very moment ;)

Believe me, with Wavelength, it is a losing battle. :-\

And not because his arguments pertaining to this topic are good.
I hate the State.

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2008, 02:51:30 PM »

That's not the point. The point is that the scientific description of the world does not compete with a philosophical or spiritual explanation of it. Simply because, science by definition is restricted to the scientific aspects of the world.

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2008, 02:52:19 PM »
Believe me, with Wavelength, it is a losing battle. :-\
And not because his arguments pertaining to this topic are good.

My definition of a good argument is one I can't challenge.

Samourai Pizzacat

• Getbig IV
  • Meeoow!!
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2008, 03:55:10 PM »
Science trumps religion for the simple reason that it can be scrutenized. Scientific knowledge expands and improves in cycles by new evidence. Religion apparantly is an undeniable truth, it can not advance therefor and is outside the realm of reason. Religion can't question or reflect on itself, and if anything, those evaluating qualities is what sets mankind apart form anything else.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2008, 02:24:33 AM »
My definition of a good argument is one I can't challenge.

Yes...I am well aware. ::)
I hate the State.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2008, 02:42:54 AM »

No one is going to suck your "muscle" you self impotrant little twat.

STOP WRITING SUCKMYMUSCLE AFTER EVERY FUCKING POST.  >:(

You have been warned.  8)

Buy a new brand of tampoons, honey, because the one you're wearing now is obviously making you cranky...

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Dreadlord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2008, 03:13:36 AM »
Science trumps religion for the simple reason that it can be scrutinized. Scientific knowledge expands and improves in cycles by new evidence. Religion apparantly is an undeniable truth, it can not advance therefor and is outside the realm of reason. Religion can't question or reflect on itself, and if anything, those evaluating qualities is what sets mankind apart form anything else.

Good post. Science has a corrective mechanism to discard old theories when their validity expires. Science is always working /advancing to improve itself.

Sorry Top Dog - Science never claims that it has all the answers. Neither do atheists. We are however working towards bettering ourselves by looking for those answers rather than accept things just based on "faith" and primitive superstitions.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2008, 03:18:54 AM »
Good post. Science has a corrective mechanism to discard old theories when their validity expires. Science is always working /advancing to improve itself.

Sorry Top Dog - Science never claims that it has all the answers. Neither do atheists. We are however working towards bettering ourselves by looking for for those answers rather than accept things just based on "faith" and primitive superstitions.

Well said.... :)
I hate the State.

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2008, 04:15:56 AM »
There's not an oiled up guy anywhere in this thread,  Ron is going to be pissed off.