Author Topic: Michelle Obama last night. What did you think?  (Read 1167 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Michelle Obama last night. What did you think?
« on: August 26, 2008, 10:41:41 AM »
It was okay.  She did a decent job.  Told a good story. 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Michelle Obama last night. What did you think?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 10:42:22 AM »
I've been really very critical of her but I have to say I was blown away by her speech last night.  I was highly impressed and do feel a lot better about her now.  Before I was saying they should hide her and pretend she doesn't exist.  I've said several times she would be the one to bury Obama.  Her speech was a slam dunk and I see this morning that it's going over huge.  So I was just curious if any of you saw it and what you thought.  I know it's sad that people would even factor the first lady into their vote, but they do.

Hereford

• Getbig V
Re: Michelle Obama last night. What did you think?
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 10:44:19 AM »
Of course you would get firm over her.  She's a democrat.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 10:53:45 AM »
Of course you would get firm over her.  She's a democrat.
That was classy ::)  I hate Pelosi so how's your logic working now?

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 11:04:04 AM »
It was okay.  She did a decent job.  Told a good story. 
lol, looks like we posted almost at the same time.  She really did do pretty good, my opinon of her changed quite a bit.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 11:10:12 AM »
lol, looks like we posted almost at the same time.  She really did do pretty good, my opinon of her changed quite a bit.

Yeah.  Great minds . . .  :D  I had to watch it because some pundits were saying what you said (they were "blown away").  My expectations were a little high because of the rave reviews.  Because of that, I wasn't quite as impressed as some.  But she said all the right things.  It was a good speech.

And she ended with the signature "God Bless America."  :)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 11:19:13 AM »
Pelosi sucked last night. 

Kennedy was good, but not great.  history will probably mark is as the exclamation mark on his career.

I was very impressed with Obama's wife - she did what she had to do.  She gave tingles to the hilary delegates in the house and watching worldwide.

If... and I mean IF... Hilary sincerely woos her people into choosing Obama when she speaks tonight, a lot of those 10% of people who jumped Dem ship after her loss, may return.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 11:20:08 AM »
Yeah.  Great minds . . .  :D  I had to watch it because some pundits were saying what you said (they were "blown away").  My expectations were a little high because of the rave reviews.  Because of that, I wasn't quite as impressed as some.  But she said all the right things.  It was a good speech.

And she ended with the signature "God Bless America."  :)
I went in with a low expectation not being a big fan of her.  I ended up watching it twice.  Even most of the republican pundits conceded it was good.  I appreciate the honesty bb.  I will watch the republicans and be as honest if there is a similar hit.

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 11:35:13 AM »
I thought it was okay, but for some reason her brother annoyed the life out of me.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 11:37:25 AM »
I thought it was okay, but for some reason her brother annoyed the life out of me.
I didn't think anything either way with him other than noticing they have exactly the same eyes.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 11:45:16 AM »
I went in with a low expectation not being a big fan of her.  I ended up watching it twice.  Even most of the republican pundits conceded it was good.  I appreciate the honesty bb.  I will watch the republicans and be as honest if there is a similar hit.

Funny how expectations shape our perceptions.  It's like that with movies and books too (at least for me).  I'll have high expectations for Obama's speech, given his history of giving good speeches.  That's how he got to this point in the first place. 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 11:55:38 AM »
Funny how expectations shape our perceptions.  It's like that with movies and books too (at least for me).  I'll have high expectations for Obama's speech, given his history of giving good speeches.  That's how he got to this point in the first place. 
true, it is that way... I think I've spoiled a few movies by listening to the high praise and coming out thinking it wasn't THAT GREAT, instead of just enjoying it.  And that is a good point to bring with Obama's speech, no doubt expectation is high so if he messes up some, it could go bad.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 11:57:36 AM »

Michelle was good

But yeah, wth is up with her brother, he's cocky as all hell.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2008, 12:06:49 PM »
Michelle was good

But yeah, wth is up with her brother, he's cocky as all hell.
Well he is a coatch, so that's pretty normal behaviour for coatches :D  LOL, but true ;D

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2008, 12:40:34 PM »
Your opinion of her shouldn't change so much on one written & rehearsed speech.  A person is judged by their actions and history more than a single stage performance (in this case speech).

I didn't hear the whole speech, but the parts I heard went over well.  She looked good too.  However, I think if you gave her more freedom to speak in a smaller venue, we may hear some more interesting things.  I'm not yet convinced that she champions all Americans.  I don't know...something in her eyes tells me she is more angry or resentful...something not so comforting.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2008, 12:45:24 PM »
i thought in the profile shot her ass looked pretty nice

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2008, 12:47:03 PM »
Your opinion of her shouldn't change so much on one written & rehearsed speech.  A person is judged by their actions and history more than a single stage performance (in this case speech).

I didn't hear the whole speech, but the parts I heard went over well.  She looked good too.  However, I think if you gave her more freedom to speak in a smaller venue, we'd hear some interesting things.  I'm not convinced that she champions all Americans.  I don't know...something in her eyes tells me she is more angry or resentful...something not comforting.
yea, in many ways you're right, but it's not consistent with American politics.  Speeches can make or break.  A single blooper in a single speech can end you like we saw with Dean and that's not right either, but it is the reality of it.  But your right, it's just not the way things work.  It's all written and rehearsed on both sides.  She did actually sway a bit from the planned speech, not much.  So my approach here is reality based even though I do agree with you.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2008, 12:53:10 PM »
Yep, that one yelp just killed him in the media.

So, overall she had a good speech, and I agree its important to the media...but its surface stuff to me.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2008, 12:56:35 PM »
Yep, that one yelp just killed him in the media.

So, overall she had a good speech, and I agree its important to the media...but its surface stuff to me.
and that is a good approach so definitely glad you mentioned it.