Author Topic: Plastic bags could be history in Hawaii and Maui counties  (Read 2477 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Plastic bags could be history in Hawaii and Maui counties
« on: August 26, 2008, 03:23:23 PM »
They are legislating away plastic bags??  Apparently this is coming to a town near you.   

Plastic bags could be history in Hawaii and Maui counties
The counties move forward on legislation banning the bags

By Nina Wu
nwu@starbulletin.com

Maui County is getting ready to ban plastic shopping bags, while Hawaii County has a similar bill to be voted on by its council tomorrow that could take effect as soon as next year. Above, courtesy clerk Debra Fujii bags groceries at Times Super Market's Beretania store in Makiki.

"This is a global movement, and I think Maui is taking the lead," Molina told the Star-Bulletin. "With Maui passing the bill, I think we may see some other counties taking action soon."
The Maui bill prohibits all businesses from providing plastic bags to their customers at the point of sale for the purpose of transporting goods.

Businesses are instead encouraged to offer customers recyclable paper bags (which contain at least 40 percent post-consumer recycled content) that are labeled as "reusable" and "recyclable" and reusable bags made of cloth, fabric or other durable materials.

Penalties range up to, but will not exceed, $1,000 per day.

Molina said the 2011 implementation date gives businesses plenty of time to prepare for the proposed law.

He was inspired by San Francisco's ban, which went into effect last year, making it the first U.S. city with such a law. Malibu followed suit this year. Seattle, meanwhile, is considering a 20-cent "green tax" for checkout plastic bags.

Maui Mayor Charmaine Tavares is expected to sign off on the bill, which she considers ground-breaking legislation.

"This important action is intended to help protect diminishing natural resources, and while the bill will not be implemented until 2011, many steps can be taken now to prepare for this new law, including public education and encouraging businesses and shoppers to utilize reusable bags," said Tavares in an issued statement.

The Hawaii Food Industry Association, which represents most supermarkets, however, and Retail Merchants of Hawaii, remain opposed to plastic checkout bag bans.

"We do not believe the stick approach is as appropriate as the carrot approach," said Dick Botti, president of HFIA. "The biggest problem is going to be wet or cold products because they create moisture, and in a paper bag, they're going to fall through."

Both HFIA and RMH say the higher price of paper bags will be passed on to the consumer.

They support an educational approach, encouraging consumers to bring their own bags. Paper bags, they pointed out, are not any better for the environment, and use more energy to produce.

Many major supermarkets and drugstores, from Safeway to Foodland, Star, Times and Longs Drugs, are already selling reusable totes in-store.

Whole Foods Market, which opens its first Hawaii store at Kahala Mall in September, has done away with plastic bags. Whole Foods will offer paper bags, and sell 10 to 15 different types of reusable totes, said store team leader Ray Stockton.

Molina said the bill couldn't be more timely, given that Maui County spends up to $180,000 a year retrieving stray plastic bags from near the county landfill.

In a survey of about 50 small businesses, Maui County's Office of Economic Development said it found 92 percent supported prohibiting the use of non-biodegradable plastic bags, and would be willing to stop using them in their business.

Many indicated they were already making the switch to reusable bags.

Earlier versions of the Maui County bill would have applied to businesses grossing more than $250,000 a year, and also would have allowed compostable plastic bags.

The latest version of the bill that passed, however, applies to all businesses, and does not allow compostable plastic bags.

Hawaii County's bill, introduced by Councilman Pete Hoffmann, is modeled after the Maui bill, except that the ordinance would go into effect within a year after its passage.

http://starbulletin.com/2008/08/26/business/story02.html

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
Re: Plastic bags could be history in Hawaii and Maui counties
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 03:25:57 PM »
Good old fashion paper bags.  8)
S

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 03:28:14 PM »
I like the reusable, but I keep forgetting to take them with me >:(

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 04:27:33 PM »
I'm going to order some custom plastic bags, and when they start putting my groceries in paper bags, I'll simply hand them the plastic ones and tell them it's the most logical method. I plan to do my part and pollute.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 04:33:03 PM »
I'm going to order some custom plastic bags, and when they start putting my groceries in paper bags, I'll simply hand them the plastic ones and tell them it's the most logical method. I plan to do my part and pollute.
brilliant ::)

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 06:29:26 PM »
I don't like the feel of paper on my hands, while I carry groceries.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 06:33:14 PM »
um, those plastic bags are essential for wrapping up dirty diapers.  no way you want to just fold them up and toss them into the trash can.  You need a walmart or target or other plastic bag to protect your clean kitchen from the stank of a fresh diaper after a lunch of pasta and chicken.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 03:35:30 PM »
I like the reusable, but I keep forgetting to take them with me >:(

{LOL} if you're anything like me, after your 10th purchase of a re-usable grocery bag 'cause you forgot to bring the ones you already had, you'll start remembering. I always keep one folded up in my purse.

Just toss a few in your car, ...and you'll always have one handy.
w

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 05:16:13 PM »
Just toss a few in your car,

If you care about the environment, you ride a bike made of hemp.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 06:11:38 PM »

{lol}

Even a granola crunching tree hugger like me knows that's not practical in modern 21st century life.  :D

No one is asying give up your vehicles, ...just mitigate the damage you do, and do your part to counter-act and clean-up the pollution you spew into the environment, ...because now, for the 1st time, ...you can
w

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 06:49:01 PM »

does my bike count?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 06:50:36 PM »
does my bike count?

Remember that bike clip you posted?  I think it was faked.  Exactly 100 mph above what it really was.

All US cars and plates = US highway.

170 mph was the average speed of the other vehicles.

I call fake on that one.

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 07:09:35 PM »
Remember that bike clip you posted?  I think it was faked.  Exactly 100 mph above what it really was.

I call fake on that one.

genius. obviously it was in kilometers. i dont think he was trying to fool anyone doing 90 on the on ramp. and how do you know they were american plates?

marcus

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2008, 03:41:07 AM »
Didn't Cali pass something like this a while ago?

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2008, 06:20:53 AM »

I call fake on that one.

this is actually kinda funny now that i think about it. good example of how little common sense you have.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2008, 11:19:50 AM »
genius. obviously it was in kilometers. i dont think he was trying to fool anyone doing 90 on the on ramp. and how do you know they were american plates?

That actually looks like Canada. Could have been a crazy Quebecois.  :D
w