Author Topic: where is the objectivity in the media?  (Read 1984 times)

Decker

• Getbig V
Re: where is the objectivity in the media?
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2008, 06:57:00 AM »
Some studies….
http://www.mrc.org/biasbasics/pdf/BiasBasics.pdf
That study proves liberal bias, not by looking at the work product (the news produced) but by innuendo.  Why look at these surveys....there are reporters that claim to be liberal....thus their work product must be biased.  I don't think that's good enough.  I also think that innuendo is dead wrong.
Proof of bias…
http://www.mediaresearch.org/archive/nq/welcome.asp
This 'liberal media' nonsense started with Spiro Agnew defending the criminal Nixon administration.  I guess he needed a punching bag to divert attention from the fact that Nixon was a crook, so he invented the liberal media.

Unfortunately this plays to the right wing notion that any opinion at odds with the right wing opinion is liberal.  In the rightwing universe, there is no moderate.  You are either with them or against them.  And as we've seen, that's a fatally flawed perspective.

To me, it makes no sense to have a slavish uniformity of opinion.  That's what the rightwing wants.  Any straying from the party line must be the work liberally biased reporting influencing public opinion.

The way I see it, the media are lazy and incompetent.  The media play to the bottom line.  And for bias, there is a definite conservative media apparatus, namely the Rupert Murdoch/Clearchannel entities which cheerleads unashamedly for conservatives instead of reporting.

Does liberally biased reporting happen?  Sure.  Is it the industry standard?  Not even close.

I also don't think that corporate control is suspended for Big Media.  That rule of top down control is a key feature to the modern corporation....except in the Media where reporters are allegedly really running the business.  Every other corporation (outside of employee owned corps) follows the rule of top down control....the CEO calls the shots ala Jack Welch and GE....except with the US's media.

Can you see how someone might have a problem believing the liberals run the media with just that information?

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2008, 07:06:27 AM »
So why are most journalists liberal? 

Is reporting news a liberal thing?

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2008, 07:40:08 AM »
So why are most journalists liberal? 

Is reporting news a liberal thing?
I think they are like most americans.  If liberal means supporting Social Security as it is, avoiding wars of choice, having a medicare safetynet, an educated citizenry based on science/math/reading and not religious indoctrination, etc., then the average american is liberal.

Many of those big ideas clash with rightwing gospel.  It's not as simple as I portrayed b/c each of those issues carries complexities/issues not amenable to either camp of thought in a clearcut way.

As for reporting being a liberal thing, the common defense is that they have more diverse exposure/relationships attendant to the job.  How do you write an expose on gay marriage?  Talk to the gays.  Maybe that sort of exposure gives them a perspective lost on others.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2008, 08:12:56 AM »
Right now the alleged "Liberal Media" is putting McCain's VP choice ahead of the aftermath of Obama's speech and the DNC.

If it was a "liberal" media wouldn't they be putting McCain's VP second?

Why are they?

becuase McCain's VP choice IS NEWS!

That's what hte media does....report NEWS that SELLS (get viewers)

the liberal media idea is right up there with 9/11 CT'ers and moon bots.

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2008, 08:17:14 AM »
Right now the alleged "Liberal Media" is putting McCain's VP choice ahead of the aftermath of Obama's speech and the DNC.

If it was a "liberal" media wouldn't they be putting McCain's VP second?

Why are they?

becuase McCain's VP choice IS NEWS!

That's what hte media does....report NEWS that SELLS (get viewers)

the liberal media idea is right up there with 9/11 CT'ers and moon bots.
That's a great point.  Don't you see Karl Rove's fingerprints all over this?  I'm surprised we didn't have an elevation in the color-coded terror alert as well.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2008, 10:37:51 AM »
I watched CNN and Fox this morning after the announcement.  Could not have been more contrasted.  The CNN folks were befuddled.  They "reporter" was saying she didn't know how Palin would be able to hold up against Biden in a debate, how she would be able to answer his extensive foreign policy experience, how she would be able to raise her infant while in the White House, etc., etc.  I was literally laughing out loud.