Author Topic: Greek Style Yogurt  (Read 27147 times)

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
Greek Style Yogurt
« on: August 29, 2008, 12:57:50 PM »
I just tried Trader Joes Greek Style 0% Nonfat Plain Yogurt and this stuff is AMAZING!  SOOOOO thick and creamy with 120 calories per cup, 22g protein, 7g carb and 0g fat, mixed with a little Splenda and blueberries.... YUMMY.  I'm hooked!   Not at all like the Dannon's and Yoplait's out there.

Also a good one:

:

Emmortal

• Getbig V
Re: Greek Style Yogurt
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 01:10:06 PM »
Nice.  The one thing I hate about Trader Joes is you find something that's really great and two weeks later it's gone and they don't carry it anymore :/

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 01:45:16 PM »
they have some good wine that is very very cheap at the Trader Joe's near me.

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 02:11:01 PM »
Nice.  The one thing I hate about Trader Joes is you find something that's really great and two weeks later it's gone and they don't carry it anymore :/

Sort of like Costco.  :'(

spirospros

• Getbig II
  • train to be your best
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 10:59:09 AM »
Greece is the best  ;)

JMentis

• Pros
  • Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 06:52:27 PM »
JM

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 09:33:45 AM »

So now that I'm addicted to this stuff, I make the trek over to Trader Joes (22.9 miles one way), stare at  the cooler and finally ask: "Where's the TJ greek yogurt?"  "Oh, that's TOS."  "temporarily out of stock"  >:( >:( >:(   

So all is not lost, I decide to try a couple of their flavored cups - pomagranate, blueberry, etc. also labeled "greek style".  Let me tell you that was the most VILE tasting stuff ever!!!  :-X :-X :-X  Not even remotely close to the same texture, consistency or taste.

Fortunately, I've been able to find another brand that is comparable to TJ's.  It's Chobani 0% Greek Yogurt Non-Fat Plain.  Doctor it up with some fruit and splenda and it's OHHHH SOOOO YUMMY!  ;D

:

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 01:00:16 PM »

iron_dawg

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 01:35:10 PM »
Sort of like Costco.  :'(
yeah costco does that all the time especially with cereal natures best granola cereal

had it for awhile then no more I now have to pay 6dollars a box for have the size at schnucks

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 09:17:36 PM »
yeah costco does that all the time especially with cereal natures best granola cereal

had it for awhile then no more I now have to pay 6dollars a box for have the size at schnucks

Right now I'm struggling to find Lifeway's Kefir (or whatever the hell it's called):

iron_dawg

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2008, 09:21:02 PM »
Right now I'm struggling to find Lifeway's Kefir (or whatever the hell it's called):

what is that?

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2008, 09:26:35 PM »
what is that?

It's like yogurt. Here is their website. It's good stuff IMO.

http://www.lifeway.net/product/kefir.php

iron_dawg

• Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2008, 09:33:56 PM »
not a big yogurt eater but we always have it in our house usually yoplaits the key lime pie is the bomb

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2008, 06:32:33 AM »
not a big yogurt eater but we always have it in our house usually yoplaits the key lime pie is the bomb

I never was but I've had stomach issues for years & yogurt/probiotics have helped out a lot.

claymore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2008, 06:43:21 AM »
Wal-mart carries a brand called "Oikos" ;)

DylanPG

• Getbig II
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2008, 10:07:42 AM »
Thanks for the info Princess.  I like to mix the plain with some All Bran fiber cereal, a little milk, Sweet'n'Low, sliced almonds, and some fruit as a good snack to eat before bedtime.

bmuscle90

• Getbig II
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2008, 02:11:26 PM »
I've tried a couple of these Greek yogurts and they are good quality and have good taste.  Greek food is very healthy.. being part greek and knowing some of the foods I would say that Mediterranean food is one of the healthiest around.  You can also get some other greek yogurts like Fage and Oikos. High protein with very little to no fat or sugar. 

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2008, 03:53:39 PM »
Just fuckin eat greek yogurt, just pure cow's/sheep milk.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2008, 03:56:27 PM »
i like yoplait fat free yogurts..they have a million different amazing flavors.

WhiteCastle

• Getbig III
  • The Wizard of Filth
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2008, 09:16:09 PM »
This stuff is the perfect substitution for sour cream. I often get their marinated tri-tip roast and put the yogurt on top. 

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2008, 07:09:32 AM »
I've tried a couple of these Greek yogurts and they are good quality and have good taste.  Greek food is very healthy.. being part greek and knowing some of the foods I would say that Mediterranean food is one of the healthiest around.  You can also get some other greek yogurts like Fage and Oikos. High protein with very little to no fat or sugar. 

Fage is good, but a lot more expensive than the Chobani and probably twice the price of the Trader Joes.  Never had the Oikos.

i like yoplait fat free yogurts..they have a million different amazing flavors.

Once you have one of these Greek style (0% fat) and flavor it yourself, you'll never go back!  The protein / carb ratio doesn't even come close either.
:

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2009, 09:03:52 AM »
Wal-mart carries a brand called "Oikos" ;)

I just tried this brand and it is very good too.

:

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2009, 09:56:17 PM »
The other day I mixed Oikos Plain Yogurt w/fat free Cottage Cheese and grated Parmesan and granulated garlic....heated it up in the microwave and added chopped cooked chicken breast and heated it all up together.  Fresh cracked black pepper on top.  Tasty :)

Spinach in that mixture is good also.
R

Carmello

• Getbig III
  • Believe it or not. Your choice.
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2009, 08:17:58 PM »
just picked up Fage yogurt from Trader Joe's, as well as Kefir milk. I gotta say, don't care for either much, especially the kefir milk. My GF loves it though. She says they serve the milk @ Turkish and Greek restaurants. She likes it with salt...stirs it in n drinks it. Idk, lol. I can't. Glad I bought the yogurt with the honey. Helps tons!
CEA999

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2009, 09:00:12 PM »
The other day I mixed Oikos Plain Yogurt w/fat free Cottage Cheese and grated Parmesan and granulated garlic....heated it up in the microwave and added chopped cooked chicken breast and heated it all up together.  Fresh cracked black pepper on top.  Tasty :)

Spinach in that mixture is good also.

Was it "alfredo-ish"  ???
Not quite sure if this sounds good or not  :-\  I'll give it a try.

just picked up Fage yogurt from Trader Joe's, as well as Kefir milk. I gotta say, don't care for either much, especially the kefir milk. My GF loves it though. She says they serve the milk @ Turkish and Greek restaurants. She likes it with salt...stirs it in n drinks it. Idk, lol. I can't. Glad I bought the yogurt with the honey. Helps tons!

Haven't gotten around to trying the Kefir yet.  Fage is the most expensive of the Greek yogurts I've found, but it's also probably my favorite taste and texture (they're all pretty comparable).  Have you tried the PLAIN and then adding your own fruit and sweetener?  I don't care for any of the pre-flavored ones.   They all have an artificial taste/aftertaste to them.

Found another one that's pretty good.

The only one I've tried that was NASTY was Greek Gods  :-X  Maybe I got a bad one :-\
: