Author Topic: Why Palin?  (Read 1109 times)

youandme

• Getbig V
Why Palin?
« on: August 29, 2008, 04:42:46 PM »
Pick Sarah Palin.  Here’s why:

Joe Biden gave Barack Obama NO bounce.  And why should he?  He’s a stale choice.  It’s Obama’s attempt to bolster his weak foreign policy experience and it’s the Party’s way of putting a baby-sitter in his camp.  Choosing Palin would not only give McCain a bounce, it will richochet across the country.

McCain likes to be known as a maverick.  Palin IS a maverick in Alaskan politics - a respected and successful one.  Picking another establishment white dude won’t help that image any more than Biden helped the Obama “change” platform.

Issues: Governor Palin has strong conservative credentials and, on the issue du jour - energy - she is far more qualified to address it than are any of the other candidates.  If the Dems wanna bad mouth the idea of drilling in ANWR, they’ll have to go through Sarah Palin.  May God have mercy on their evil souls.  Further, as an accredited conservative, she’ll assuage the right, something McCain can desperately use.

Women.
Palin is one (IS SHE EVER!), neither Romney, Huckabee, Pawlenty nor Lieberman are.  That matters to many voters.  In fact, if polls are accurate and people tend to vote their genetics, a greater percentage of women vote than do blacks.  Meaning?  A McCain/Palin ticket would draw a huge number of bitter Clinton supporters and draw in female undecideds.  Further, for those women who want to vote for a “softer, gentler” candidate, Palin - a mother of five with a son in the Army - buffs off McCain’s rough edges.  Further, in April, she gave birh to a child with special needs.  She is a mother figure - far more so than Hillary Clinton - yet still an accomplished politician and leader.

Debates: Joe Biden is known for a sharp tongue and is an established Washington insider.  With Palin on the ticket, the Vice-Presidential debates will get huge ratings.  Let Joe unload at the debates with all his Delaware bluster.  Not only will he come across as a bully, Palin can more than handle her own.

Contrast:
Not only does the Governor offer a delightful alternative to Joe Biden, she’s a helluva replacement for Dick Cheney.

Age: Palin is not only 28 years younger than John McCain, she’s 3 years Obama’s junior.  Here we have an homage to the GOP’s future.  The youth vote will flock to Sarah Palin - swiping from Obama a major demographic.

Media: There is no way Joe Biden is gonna attract the media like Sarah Palin.  Not only because she’s a female on the national ticket, but she has an inspiring back story.

As VP: Palin will be an outstanding agent for the McCain administration.  Smart, a quick learner, personable (IS SHE EVER!) she will be able to promote McCain initiatives like no other candidate on the foreign or domestic landscapes.
The Cons:

Purge_WTF

Re: Why Palin?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 05:42:58 PM »
  She was picked in the hopes of hooking bitter Hillarites who won't vote for Obama if their lives depended on it.

It's a shame that Ms. Palin doesn't realize that she's being pimped like that.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 05:45:12 PM »
  She was picked in the hopes of hooking bitter Hillarites who won't vote for Obama if their lives depended on it.

Exactly.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 05:48:36 PM »

I doubt she's that naive not to realize this, ...but at the same time ambition will always rule the ambitious.  :-\
w

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 05:54:39 PM »
I doubt she's that naive not to realize this, ...but at the same time ambition will always rule the ambitious.  :-\

About as naive as someone that buys gas caps to save on gas I suppose  ::)

She was picked to rally the Republican party and increase attention, and it's working  ;D

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 06:03:21 PM »
McCain likes to be known as a maverick.

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH AHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHA HAHAHAHAH

OMG

;D ;D ;D ;D

Thanks, I needed that. :D
S

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 06:14:24 PM »
About the 5th time I've heard or read that within the last 20 minutes.

It's something interesting, that is going to tune in alot of independents.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 07:30:43 AM »
youandme,

Is your hatred for obama what is fueling your newfound republican party-line trumpeting?

Most republicans interviewed yesterday found it a surprising and risky pick.  The only people saying it was a sensational choice were those talking heads who vehemently defend their party no matter what.  Mccain could get caught with ten teenage sluts in a tour bus and thye'd be talking about obama's lack of experience.

You're not one of those talking heads now, are you?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2008, 09:30:23 AM »
Most of the Republicans I've heard and spoken with like the pick, including one of my partners who is a delegate and leaving for Minn. this weekend.  He is a big Romney supporter. 

Here is a sample of what Republicans think:

Conservative Palin brings record of reform, Republicans say

(CNN) -- Republicans praised John McCain's pick of Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin to be his running mate Friday, but Democrats said it didn't change the dynamics of the presidential race.

McCain's campaign described Palin as a uniter and reformer.

"Gov. Palin is a tough executive who has demonstrated during her time in office that she is ready to be president. She has brought Republicans and Democrats together within her administration and has a record of delivering on the change and reform that we need in Washington," a release from the McCain campaign said.

Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty, who was on McCain's short list of possible running mates, called Palin "a wonderful, terrific, outstanding pick."

"She's an executive, she's a reformer, dynamic," he said. Calling her a "hockey mom," he said she has a "compelling personal story."  Watch Palin say she's honored to be VP pick »

South Carolina Republican Sen. Jim DeMint echoed the call for reform.

"Sarah Palin is an exciting choice by Sen. McCain. She completes a strong ticket that will bring a real record of change and reform to Washington," DeMint said in a statement.

DeMint also touted Palin's conservative track record.

"She is a strong defender of traditional family values, with an unquestioned commitment to protect life. Gov. Palin knows we must aggressively pursue American energy sources like offshore drilling to reduce our dependence on foreign oil," he said.

House GOP leader John Boehner of Ohio called Palin a "strong agent for change."

"In choosing Gov. Palin, McCain has put Washington on notice: He is serious about shaking up the status quo and leading a movement for reform on behalf of families and small businesses," Boehner said.

Palin, 44, is in her first term as governor of the 49th state and has little experience outside Alaska. She was mayor and a council member of the small town of Wasilla. She also was chairwoman of the state Oil and Gas Conservation Commission, which regulates Alaska's oil and gas resources, before defeating incumbent Gov. Frank Murkowski in the GOP primary and former two-term Democratic Gov. Tony Knowles in the 2006 general election.

President Bush, in a statement, praised McCain for choosing "a working mother with a track record of getting things done."

Democratic leaders issued mixed reactions to Palin's announcement.

"We should all be proud of Gov. Sarah Palin's historic nomination, and I congratulate her and Sen. McCain. While their policies would take America in the wrong direction, Gov. Palin will add an important new voice to the debate," Sen. Hillary Clinton said.

Sens. Barack Obama and Joe Biden, the Democratic ticket, congratulated Palin and called McCain's choice of a woman "another encouraging sign that old barriers are falling in our politics."

However, Obama said Palin would deliver "more of the same," a refrain that is becoming the hallmark of his critiques against McCain

"John McCain is at top of ticket. As I indicated in my speech last night, I think that he wants to take the country in the wrong direction. I'm assuming Gov. Palin agrees with him in in his policies," said Obama, who called Palin later in the day to congratulate her.

But another statement from the Obama-Biden campaign was strongly critical of the Alaskan's experience.

"Today, John McCain put the former mayor of a town of 9,000 with zero foreign policy experience a heartbeat away from the presidency," Obama campaign spokeswoman Adrianne Marsh said.

Sen. Charles Schumer, D-New York, called McCain's choice of Palin a desperate one.

"The choice of Sarah Palin is surely a Hail Mary pass," Schumer said in a statement. "It is a real roll of the dice and shows ... what a strong position the Obama-Biden team and Democrats in general are in in this election."

Schumer also said the pick of Palin negates GOP arguments that Obama, who is three years older than Palin, doesn't have the experience necessary to be president.

"While Palin is a fine person, her lack of experience makes the thought of her assuming the presidency troubling," Schumer said.

Rep. Rahm Emanuel, D-Illinois, picked up on that theme.

"Given Sarah Palin's lack of experience on every front and on nearly every issue, this vice presidential pick doesn't show judgment: it shows political panic," Emanuel said in a statement.

Sen. Ken Salazar, D-Colorado, said he didn't think the choice of Palin would help the GOP ticket pick up Democrats who'd been supporters of Sen. Hillary Clinton's presidential bid.

"What's going to happen here is that desire to change that Hillary Clinton has helped bring about will ultimately lead to [an Obama]-Biden win in November. I don't think it changes the dynamics," Salazar said.

Rep. Mike Pence, R-Indiana, disagreed.

"I believe that will hearten women across this country," Pence said of the choice of Palin. "I think as they come to know Gov. Sarah Palin they are going to see her not simply as an embodiment of those strong conservative values that thrill my heart, but they are going to see her as an embodiment of an accomplished American women.

"And I believe that will resonate with millions of American women," Pence said. iReport.com: Palin the 'perfect counterpunch'

The only other woman to run for the vice presidency, former New York Rep. Geraldine Ferraro, said she hoped the choice of Palin wouldn't bring sexism back into the campaign.

"I believe that people will look back and assess how Hillary was treated by the media during the campaign primaries. And it remains to be seen whether or not the ugly head of sexism -- in the media -- will raise its head again," said Ferraro, who ran with Walter Mondale on the Democratic ticket in 1984.

"I have always said that I wish I would have never been the only woman, until now," she said.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/08/29/palin.reax/index.html

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2008, 09:38:42 AM »
The part that I don't get is that he could have picked any number of other more qualified women. 

Why Palin?

Her experience is meager at best

What else is going on here?

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2008, 11:52:30 AM »
The part that I don't get is that he could have picked any number of other more qualified women. 

Why Palin?

Her experience is meager at best

What else is going on here?

McCain s the father of her youngest child?

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2008, 06:42:58 PM »
She's a pretty face.

That's refreshing b/c the republican party would normally nominate a chimpanzee trained to grunt the words "tax cut".   

As a governor, she has more executive experience than McCain or Obama.  Wow.  That's such a beautiful point.  I'll have to remember that one!

She's anti-abortion, anti-gay, pro-big energy, pro-gun, and generally a corporate puppet (but who isn't these days?).  Less abortions, less gays, more sellouts to big energy, and more guns. 

She's a pretty face. 

Surely she must bring some great ideas to the table (not unlike Obama)?