Author Topic: About to get a personal handgun - suggestions?  (Read 13373 times)

marcus

• Getbig IV
Re: About to get a personal handgun - suggestions?
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2008, 09:11:03 AM »
you're talking about buying a handgun to "protect yourself" from "muggers" and i'm the one who can't be taken seriously? where do you live Beirut in 1982? sounds like you've seen Death Wish a few too many times. ::)

Would you feel safe walking through a shitty area unarmed?

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2008, 09:11:20 AM »
Find one that best fits your budget and hand. Rent before buying if possible. If you want the best for busting skulls you need a Smith and Wesson 500.  ;D

talk about impractical lol

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2008, 09:11:30 AM »
id be upset if this was my girlfriend too, dave..

hahahahaa, ok "boon" go buy your little handgun if it makes you feel like more of a man, try not to shoot yourself or anyone who looks at you crosseyed, also make sure to check the closet for the boogeyman before you go to bed at night as well. :D

boonstack

• Getbig IV
  • watch out ladies... chaos is on the prowl
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2008, 09:13:32 AM »
well we cant all be just hardcore and "livin it up" like you...  ::)

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2008, 09:13:52 AM »
hahahahaa, ok "boon" go buy your little handgun if it makes you feel like more of a man, try not to shoot yourself or anyone who looks at you crosseyed, also make sure to check the closet for the boogeyman before you go to bed at night as well. :D

it can happen anywhere  ;)

August 28, 2008

EAST STROUDSBURG - It's a night time shopper's nightmare. You buy groceries, go to your car, and someone tries to rob you at gunpoint.

Police say Joshua Eastman, 28, of East Stroudsburg was unloading groceries at his car shortly before 12:45 a.m. today when Reneau Jean Jacques, 17, of 77 Symphony Circle, East Stroudsburg, pointed a handgun at him and demanded that he hand over his money.
Interactive Map Loading...
5 km
3 mi
Data ©Navteq,TeleAtlas
©2006 Yahoo! Inc.
Related Stories

* Suspect in Wal-Mart armed robbery arraigned
    * Wal-Mart shopper says, 'It's not safe in East Stroudsburg any more.'
    * More than 10,000 Monroe residents permitted to carry concealed gun
    * Pocono Thursday: Shootout at Wal-Mart; Monroe Dems still sore; local football tonight

Related Photo Galleries

* More

Links

* Poconos Crime Tracker

Eastman looked around for help or someone to yell to. The alleged robber continued to demand money. Eastman replied that he did not have any money - that he used a debit card to pay for his purchases.

Jacques became more threatening, pointing the gun and using a more menacing tone of voice.

Eastman then took out his wallet and pushed the door of his truck more open to put it between himself and the suspect. Jacques pointed his gun at Eastman's face.

Eastman dropped his wallet and started ducking down. Jacques fired a shot that went through the window of the door almost striking Eastman and causing flying glass from the car window to cut his face.

Eastman pulled out a handgun he was carrying and fell to the ground. He returned fire under the truck's door with his pistol while the teen continued to fire his weapon.

Eastman shot Jacques in the lower leg and foot. Then Eastman ran back toward the store as the teen fled towards Friendly's restaurant.

Jacques fled into a landscaped island of bushes and trees in the parking lot. Stroud Area Regional Police were on the scene almost immediately and found him hiding and trying to bury a handgun in the mulch. He originally claimed to be a victim before police determined he was likely the one who started the trouble.

"It appears to be an armed robbery that went badly for the suspect because he picked an armed customer," said Sgt. James Wielgus.

On Thursday afternoon, Jacques, using crutches and wearing a long hospital gown over hospital pants, sat with a numb look on his face during his preliminary arraignment in East Stroudsburg Magisterial District Judge Michael Muth’s courtroom. Jacques, a Shawnee Academy student with a prior juvenile record, spoke in a subdued tone when addressed by the judge.

Jacques is charged as an adult with attempted murder, robbery, aggravated assault, crimes committed with guns and illegal possession of a gun, all felonies, and reckless endangerment, a misdemeanor. He hung his head and sighed after the judge told him he could face up to 30 years in prison if convicted of the most serious charge, attempted murder.

Jacques was taken to Pocono Medical Center for treatment. Police detained two other youths for questioning. They were in a car, trying to flee the scene, according to witnesses and police.

nicky.smth

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Hugo Chavez looks like hugo chavez
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2008, 09:13:58 AM »
id be upset if this was my girlfriend too, dave..

LMAO ;D :D

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2008, 09:14:16 AM »
I'd suggest the Smith & Wesson Sigma 40cal. I own one - it's reasonably priced.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2008, 09:16:53 AM »
Ask this guy.
I hate the State.

marcus

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2008, 09:17:30 AM »
When you find the one you want, look up CDNN Investments and give them a call and see if they have one and at what price. Their prices are usually very good.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2008, 11:04:31 AM »
Don't buy a gun.  Guns should only be for the police, military and criminals.   ::)

But seriously, I only have a 12ga mossberg shotgun so I can't really recommend a handgun.  But when I do get a handgun I plan on getting a Glock 20 10mm because I spend a lot of time out in the woods and it is effective against large animals as well as the human variety. 

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2008, 11:53:19 AM »
It's not amazing... a walther PPK might be a tad preferable.
Its not the most fun thing to shoot, but for a pocket rocket when you can't carry a glock comfortably, it gets the job done.
I forgot about the Walther PPk, james bond's old gun.  Very cool weapon.  Turns your thumb into grated cheese when you put 400 rounds thru it in an afternoon, but has a safety and is built very well.

I have a pre war PPK.  They're really cool pistols. 

What do you think of the PPS 240?

I'd really like to buy one.

http://concealedcarryforum.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=954
S

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2008, 11:56:03 AM »
This one is nice.
I hate the State.

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2008, 11:56:50 AM »
What irritates me, is that you have to be 21 to buy handgun Ammunition.

So before I go to the range I need an "adult" to buy me ammo.  ::)
S

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2008, 12:01:43 PM »
I'd suggest the Smith & Wesson Sigma 40cal. I own one - it's reasonably priced.

RB, did you hear about the 14 and 15 year olds that went on that beating spree in Pontiac a few days ago, they killed at least one person, if not more, not sure. Good idea cutting half the police force in Pontiac, huh? I want to go to Arts, Beats and Eats tonight, but how safe can it be down there? No cops, end of the month so the welfare checks are gone, that town has gone to hell. It will be like the D in 10 years time.
E

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2008, 12:02:42 PM »
Beretta 96F.

Good times.

But get Deicides' gun if you have the $$$ for the ammo!

boonstack

• Getbig IV
  • watch out ladies... chaos is on the prowl
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2008, 06:25:50 PM »
thanks for replies everyone. I'm really just doing it for protection. It is childish to assume you wont ever need it.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2008, 07:49:49 PM »
Are crime levels that bad all over America that everyone needs to own a gun just to "feel safe"...?
No doubt about it...

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2008, 08:01:51 AM »
RB, did you hear about the 14 and 15 year olds that went on that beating spree in Pontiac a few days ago, they killed at least one person, if not more, not sure. Good idea cutting half the police force in Pontiac, huh? I want to go to Arts, Beats and Eats tonight, but how safe can it be down there? No cops, end of the month so the welfare checks are gone, that town has gone to hell. It will be like the D in 10 years time.

No missed that one. I've been off work all summer so I haven't paid much attention to anything. Pontiac's been a shit hole a long time & the lack of cops makes it even worse. Hell, Detroit is probably safer then Pontiac. As for the Art, Beats, & Eats - fuck that noise. I worked it about ten years ago & it scarred me for life.

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2008, 09:07:16 PM »
H&K Compact USP .40 caliber.   End of thread

Excellent choice if you have the money.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2008, 09:31:28 PM »
Not when it comes to pistols , H&K make the finest sub-machine guns and rifles but their pistols aren't any better than  Glock

I'd rank them

1. HK
2. Sig
3. Glock

10. Everything else.

I'd only carry top 3.  Fired HKs, loved them.  Carried a Sig for 2 years, loved that beyotch so much.
been a glock man for 9 years tho.  They're just so reliable and you can beat the hell out of them and they keep right on working.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2008, 09:39:33 PM »
I have a pre war PPK.  They're really cool pistols. 

What do you think of the PPS 240?

I'd really like to buy one.

Okay - but it's a poor man's glock.  They did everything to copy glock with that one.
There's a reason most cops in the USA carry glocks.  You can count on them.  I have owned cheap guns, and they jam up.  Glocks no not jam, do not fail. 

I'd recommend getting one of the top 3- HK, sig, or glock.  Nothing else.

For pocket rocket, anything fun will work - PPk, p32, etc.  But that's your backup piece.  You need a real weapon - at least a 9mm, and at least top 3 quality.

My brother shot a dude in the gut with a 45 and he lived, made it across the state for surgery---- a 32 or some shit small caliber like that isn't going to stop a guy from killing you too.

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2008, 10:56:32 PM »
Okay - but it's a poor man's glock.  They did everything to copy glock with that one.
There's a reason most cops in the USA carry glocks.  You can count on them.  I have owned cheap guns, and they jam up.  Glocks no not jam, do not fail. 

I'd recommend getting one of the top 3- HK, sig, or glock.  Nothing else.

For pocket rocket, anything fun will work - PPk, p32, etc.  But that's your backup piece.  You need a real weapon - at least a 9mm, and at least top 3 quality.

My brother shot a dude in the gut with a 45 and he lived, made it across the state for surgery---- a 32 or some shit small caliber like that isn't going to stop a guy from killing you too.

Cool, thanks for the feedback.  No matter the subject you always have good info.
S

MRDUMPLING

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2008, 07:12:42 AM »
I agree with a few guys on this thread.  I like the glock models...all of them.  It just depends on what your wants and needs are. 

I prefer the Glock 23-it is their mid sized .40 cal pistol (like 240 said the 27 is the concealable while the 22 is the full size semi)

Sigs are also highly recommended. 

I have never shot a HK so I have no opinion on it. 

LLES

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2008, 11:25:17 AM »
I'm saving to buy a H&K (.45), well worth the money. Also had ( & wish I would have kept it) a Sig P-239.Just bought the new Beretta PX 4 Storm & absolutely love it.

www.BrinkZone.com

• Getbig III
  • This Thing On?
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2008, 03:06:57 PM »
Just got of age to own, and im going to pick one out. I dont know jackshit about guns, but i "did" almost blow my big toe off with a 9mm by accident! ::)

what do u suggest that would allow deepest penetration to cranium upon "attacker"

Take a basic course and don't get your gun recs and advice from a bb.ing site for starters. Try one of the better forums such as

http://www.thehighroad.org