Author Topic: Sources: Couture versus Emelianenko targeted for early 2009  (Read 1025 times)

TheIronWarrior

• Getbig II
  • Do you know Meecho?
Sources: Couture versus Emelianenko targeted for early 2009
« on: August 30, 2008, 09:58:00 PM »
The long-rumored heavyweight superfight between UFC champion Randy Couture (16-8 MMA, 8-5 UFC) and WAMMA champion Fedor Emelianenko (28-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) is currently being discussed for an as-yet-unspecified date in January or February of 2009.

Sources inside Couture's Xtreme Couture camp today informed MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) of the ongoing negotiations between the UFC and both fighters.

The fight is far from a done deal. Many of the same issues that prevented Emelianenko from signing with the UFC during previous negotiations must still be ironed out. But it appears that the UFC and representatives for both Couture and Emelianenko are working towards bringing the two legends together for a Feb. 2 bout.

Additionally, the same sources are reporting that Couture is currently "actively training for a fight."

Couture has remained in shape throughout his self-imposed 12-month layoff, but his workouts are now reportedly being geared towards an apparent upcoming bout.

Adding to previous speculation that Couture's return may be on Nov. 15 at UFC 91 against Brock Lesnar, Xtreme Couture is also reportedly making travel arrangements to bring in several "larger heavyweights" as sparring partners for Couture.

Sources indicate the Emelianenko bout is contingent upon Couture defeating Lesnar in November.

MMA Rated first reported the possibility of Emelianenko as Couture's second opponent after Lesnar. That report also stated that the UFC hopes to make an announcement regarding a new contract with Couture as early as Tuesday.

Randy is gonna get FFOOKKING spanked.

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
Re: Sources: Couture versus Emelianenko targeted for early 2009
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 06:55:52 AM »
Randy vs. Brock will be ugly for Randy. I can't see him being able to handle such a large beast!

Reign Down

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • http://www.sickipedia.org/
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 01:16:18 PM »
I think Randy would beat Lesnar, he is way overhyped!!

Fedor would put him 6ft under though

Ta ta nerds!

gymrat75

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 05:03:20 PM »
Well, if Fedor likes to fight freak shows.............then I would absolutely love to see him fight Brock Lesner just see how it turned out. Better put, how long it would take for Fedor to get that submission.

Dball

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 05:54:09 PM »
We are all getting a little ahead of ourselves here. Brock fighting Fedor? Come on now...  Lets see him fight Kongo and then we can start talking about possibly Randy. But Fedor...

Mark Kerr

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 06:14:12 PM »
This fight will never take place in the ufc.

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 08:14:02 PM »
You guys really think Randy could handle Brock? I think Randy's wrestling would be slower, weaker, and just plain under par of Brocks. WE are talking about the biggest and fastest dude I have seen on the ground in a while.. i just think Randy might just get handled if they meet this quick?

gymrat75

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2008, 08:31:38 PM »
I agree, Randy is a bad ass mofo and is most fighters worst nightmares.....but, randy just doesnt match up good against Lesner, Lesner would beat Randy at his own game.

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2008, 08:50:25 PM »
I agree, Randy is a bad ass mofo and is most fighters worst nightmares.....but, randy just doesnt match up good against Lesner, Lesner would beat Randy at his own game.

I just look at them standing and I give it to Brock, those are some big hands.. 4xl if memory serves right.. Then when you take it to the ground Randy is a wrestler, so is Brock. Brock is bigger, faster, younger. I just see it being like a VW Jetta vs. a v12 BMW? who is going to win? I guess the BMW could run out of gas, but I don't think Brock will run out of gas...

TheIronWarrior

• Getbig II
  • Do you know Meecho?
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 07:48:35 AM »
I just look at them standing and I give it to Brock, those are some big hands.. 4xl if memory serves right.. Then when you take it to the ground Randy is a wrestler, so is Brock. Brock is bigger, faster, younger. I just see it being like a VW Jetta vs. a v12 BMW? who is going to win? I guess the BMW could run out of gas, but I don't think Brock will run out of gas...

Depends on how riced out the Jetta is......  ;D

Have a good buddy that has a sick ass Golf. Thing has destroyed a Viper and a few Supras.

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 12:21:43 PM »
Depends on how riced out the Jetta is......  ;D

Have a good buddy that has a sick ass Golf. Thing has destroyed a Viper and a few Supras.

I just don't see Randy being that special guy anymore.

Dball

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 04:47:11 PM »
Randy needs to try to beat Nog before trying Fedor.