Author Topic: Hurricane Gustav headed straight for me  (Read 4498 times)

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
Re: Hurricane Gustav headed straight for me
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2008, 03:04:58 PM »
Good luck Boon and anyone else in it's path

It was at greater strength when it hit my region, and except for Haiti all islands came through relatively acceptable. You all should be fine, prepared and taking it seriously this time I see which is great.

boonstack

• Getbig IV
  • watch out ladies... chaos is on the prowl
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2008, 03:16:10 PM »
Yea, thx bud. where were u CQ? Fl?

Did u get any damage from Katrina?

WhiteCastle

• Getbig III
  • The Wizard of Filth
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2008, 03:28:56 PM »
Don't sweat it.  Here's what I did back a few years ago when Hurricane Charlie was heading right for me in Tampa.  I just wake up at noon as usual, walk out of the apartment in my boxers, and pull a most muscular - Hulk Hogan flex right in the direction of the hurricane.  It took a b-line west because it knew it wouldn't recover.

The Coach

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2008, 03:38:25 PM »
Are going to blame Bush again if you lose everything and don't get out in time?

Fulgorre

• Getbig III
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2008, 03:51:49 PM »
Everyone took Katrina seriously last time too except the ghetto bros. /shrug :-* 

Expect it will be the same this time around.  So much for the "chocolate city" huh?  More like a toilet bowl full of turd pieces.

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2008, 04:05:39 PM »
Yea, thx bud. where were u CQ? Fl?

Did u get any damage from Katrina?

No, I'm the Caribbean, we get hit all the time. It's a way of life here. About 70 deaths from Gustav we had this time, not my island though - we are well, well prepared for hurricanes so always come through extremely well.

sgt. d

• Getbig V
  • Don't tase me bro
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2008, 04:07:45 PM »
No, I'm the Caribbean, we get hit all the time. It's a way of life here. About 70 deaths from Gustav we had this time, not my island though - we are well, well prepared for hurricanes so always come through extremely well.

:(

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2008, 04:08:35 PM »
New Orleans is finished after this unfortunately, no one will want to build, rebuild or invest after this.

boonstack

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2008, 04:08:38 PM »

No, I will blame myself for not getting out, as that is under my own control. Losing everything however, is not. Nor is it bushes, its just nature. And its a bitch.

I'm not too worried about it: Worst case scenario we will lose our house, and "material" assets. Fortunately, we are capable of recovery

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2008, 04:10:20 PM »
If you're seriously in eastern Louisiana within sight of the gulf, you need to get the fuck out now.  The spot you're standing on will be under ten feet of water this time tomorrow.

Spoke to some friends in Cayman, they are flooded beyond all belief.

The difficulty with us here is - we can never "evacuate". I can only move a maximum of 10 miles in any direction on my island we are so small.

Airport shuts down well prior can't fly out and moving 10 miles is pointless obviously, so we just have to build for them and take preventive measures.

sgt. d

• Getbig V
  • Don't tase me bro
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2008, 04:11:37 PM »
Spoke to some friends in Cayman, they are flooded beyond all belief.

The difficulty with us here is - we can never "evacuate". I can only move a maximum of 10 miles in any direction on my island we are so small.

Airport shuts down well prior can't fly out and moving 10 miles is pointless obviously, so we just have to build for them and take preventive measures.

cq you can come live with me.

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2008, 04:19:21 PM »
Good luck Boon and anyone else in it's path

It was at greater strength when it hit my region, and except for Haiti all islands came through relatively acceptable. You all should be fine, prepared and taking it seriously this time I see which is great.
Glad you came through OK CQ!!

Okay, nevermind...  I just saw the map you posted.  You're probably okay in Alabama.
G o a t b o y teh compassionate 8)
R

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2008, 05:22:41 PM »
should fly a kite. Would be fun in that windy weather

boonstack

• Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2008, 05:31:09 PM »
should fly a kite. Would be fun in that windy weather

I usually like to go in my front yard and try to stand straight through 80+ mph winds. Its pretty fun

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2008, 05:44:26 PM »
Bucs play Saints in NO next sunday.  I"m guessing that gets moved. 

boonstack, where you are, as long as you're not in floodzone, you *should* be okay.  if you're in a 300k house, it should damn well be Cat5 hurricane proof.

This is horrible.  Hundreds of folks are going to die in this thing.  They just aren't going to leave.  I've been in FL for 17 years and seen big storms every year.  I've never left- only once relocating 30 minutes inland.

If this storm was coming into my house at the moment, 100% chance I'd fly the family out, and 50% chance I'd stay.  My home is on a ten foot yard, so surge wouldn't get me.  But the roof could fly off at any time - tornadoes come with a hurricane - and just plain suck me out.  So yeah, maybe 75% chance I'd leave.

boonstack

• Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2008, 06:12:53 PM »
Bucs play Saints in NO next sunday.  I"m guessing that gets moved. 

boonstack, where you are, as long as you're not in floodzone, you *should* be okay.  if you're in a 300k house, it should damn well be Cat5 hurricane proof.

This is horrible.  Hundreds of folks are going to die in this thing.  They just aren't going to leave.  I've been in FL for 17 years and seen big storms every year.  I've never left- only once relocating 30 minutes inland.

If this storm was coming into my house at the moment, 100% chance I'd fly the family out, and 50% chance I'd stay.  My home is on a ten foot yard, so surge wouldn't get me.  But the roof could fly off at any time - tornadoes come with a hurricane - and just plain suck me out.  So yeah, maybe 75% chance I'd leave.

Yea, we are literally 50 feet from the bank. We are 5 ft off ground (doesn't sound "much", but it takes A LOT of water to get to this level) all we can do is just ride it out. If the water gets in, its over. No preparation for it.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2008, 06:34:00 PM »
Yea, we are literally 50 feet from the bank. We are 5 ft off ground (doesn't sound "much", but it takes A LOT of water to get to this level) all we can do is just ride it out. If the water gets in, its over. No preparation for it.

I was in a trailer during charlie - 10 feet from the gulf (waterfront property baby!) with a 6 foot wall.  I left for the storm but returned the next day.  had to park blocks away and wade to the house (with bag and rifle overhead) where I stayed for the next week waiting for power to come back on, and the waters to slowly recede.  Guarded the house and the neighbor's places, as my dad owned a few of them, and teams of homeless were just walking around looking at shit.  Place was a ghost town.  Me and my brother would play catch with a football or play cards with rifles sitting next to us in plain site.  Homeless pack would send a scout ahead, we'd just give him a dirty look and tell him we have no supplies.  They didn't come up our street, but those places 2 blocks over were all broken into.  Talk about a shitty time.  And we were south of where it actually made landing by 15 miles

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2008, 07:04:24 PM »

I'll bet you're pissed you didn't get to take a few shots at looters, huh?  You were thinking, "c'mon... please loot...  make my day!"

You never want to shoot a guy.  but when you have no electricity and you're living off warm pepsi and doritos, it's 90 degrees, you're bored, and there's 2 feet of water everywhere, you are kinda pissed off all the time.  I'm a mellow guy compared to my brother, who was out there with me the whole time, beggin some prick to try something..  He actually has a glock and an AR-15 tattooed on his body, along with 10 or 15 other patriotic tattoos.  He has "RKBA".  He has "Patriot" tattooed acoss his stomach.

Really, I'm surprised he made it to age 25 before shooting his first bad guy.

SweetMuscles

• Getbig IV
  • The Grim Repper
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2008, 07:11:18 PM »
 I keep thinking of Arnold's father

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2008, 07:15:02 PM »
we had feeder bands from Guatv hitting us today.   30 or 40 mph.
cracked a tree in my yard.

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2008, 07:24:13 PM »

Yes, I am maybe 50ft from the ocean as well, good I am in a "sink" though so don't really get a bad direct hit. Worst is cleaning up my yard after, which is huge and always filled with crap.

Excuse the dumb question, all I know about US hurricane actions is what I see on the news, why aren't you "leaving"? Is what I see them say on TV. Not being rude btw, as I don't leave either lol. Just curious.

The Coach

« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2008, 07:36:56 PM »
Boonstack, as long as you or your family dont lose your lives thats all that matters...just get out.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2008, 07:41:38 PM »
The yellow is where i live  ;D

Keeping up with forecast, though there is no way to predict it. Thanks everyone for caring except of course those that want me to die :-*

We could easily lose $300,000 worth of home in just a few hours. I love nature

If it hits new orleans--- even if it misses you - you'll be on the right side of it.  Winds hit you the hardest.
If your windows are not boarded - they absolutely will be broken.  You may lose power for 4 to 48 hours.

If it hits TX, you'll be in better shape.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2008, 07:49:46 PM »
boon your a badass

tell mother nature to f-off

besides as long as your house has a good structure your fine.

just go in the attic do a little inspecting, if you see some leakage during the storm then I would not know what to tell you, sit tight I guess.

peroni

• Getbig III
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2008, 07:49:58 PM »
Just flex and scream that you're all natural and not gay in the least bit. The floodwaters will stay at bay. I promise