Author Topic: How is the Republican party made up?  (Read 1298 times)

marcus

• Getbig IV
How is the Republican party made up?
« on: August 31, 2008, 10:58:56 PM »
What percent would be considered Neocons and what percent could be compared to Ron Paul?

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Re: How is the Republican party made up?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 11:24:56 PM »
What percent would be considered Neocons and what percent could be compared to Ron Paul?
When the neoconservatives gained control under Bush, most of the republicans followed completely.  However most of the republicans are not neoconservative by tradition.  When this happened, the traditional conservative found themselves sidelined.  Ron Paul is the only active member of congress that I know of that stood strong against the neoconservative cabal.  There is actually more sympathy for the traditional conservative to be found in the democratic party of today funny as that may sound.  Folks like Pat Buchanan, out of government, have been the last remaining stand for true traditional conservatives.  He's wrote countless articles that are really beautifully written calls on behalf of conservitives.  So basically you have the original core of neoconservatives who gained control and effected immediate change and the rest have been essentially sympathizers.  Enough time has gone by that many of them are official neocon converts.  A big part of the problem is people not recognizing the difference.  When you actually start laying out the central beliefs of neoconservitives without mentioning names or parties, you find normal republicans saying, oh hell no, I don't like that idea...  So really, you have one hell of a con job by the neoconservatives.  and they're working strongly at extending the con.

There's little doubt IMO that the last 8 years has very little to do with traditional conservatism.

marcus

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 11:43:20 PM »
A while ago I thought I heard talk of Republicans "breaking away" from Bush and his ideas etc. Would these people be the few true Conservatives?

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 11:57:39 PM »
A while ago I thought I heard talk of Republicans "breaking away" from Bush and his ideas etc. Would these people be the few true Conservatives?
No, the push away from Bush happened solely out of Bush reaching epic unpopularity.  They have careers to think about so for appearances they distance from the name.  All the policies are still there and supported.  even McCain has actively tried to distance from Bush, yet policy and support is still there.

marcus

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 12:44:33 AM »
 :'(

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 06:24:36 AM »
When the neoconservatives gained control under Bush, most of the republicans followed completely.  However most of the republicans are not neoconservative by tradition.  When this happened, the traditional conservative found themselves sidelined.  Ron Paul is the only active member of congress that I know of that stood strong against the neoconservative cabal.  There is actually more sympathy for the traditional conservative to be found in the democratic party of today funny as that may sound.  Folks like Pat Buchanan, out of government, have been the last remaining stand for true traditional conservatives.  He's wrote countless articles that are really beautifully written calls on behalf of conservitives.  So basically you have the original core of neoconservatives who gained control and effected immediate change and the rest have been essentially sympathizers.  Enough time has gone by that many of them are official neocon converts.  A big part of the problem is people not recognizing the difference.  When you actually start laying out the central beliefs of neoconservitives without mentioning names or parties, you find normal republicans saying, oh hell no, I don't like that idea...  So really, you have one hell of a con job by the neoconservatives.  and they're working strongly at extending the con.

There's little doubt IMO that the last 8 years has very little to do with traditional conservatism.

I think you got a lot of it right here, Hugo. Except that the democratic party turns traditional conservatives off with their belief in expanded government programs and taxes. I'd say other than when it comes to personal liberties and a noninterventionalist foreign policies they're in agreement.

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 06:34:03 AM »

Yes. I'd say so.

I left the party as did a lot of Republicans I knew because of how thing are being run.

I our opinion he's not a conservative at all. He's more of an old traditional southern democrat.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 06:37:32 AM »
I think you got a lot of it right here, Hugo. Except that the democratic party turns traditional conservatives off with their belief in expanded government programs and taxes. I'd say other than when it comes to personal liberties and a noninterventionalist foreign policies they're in agreement.

but that's where I will disagree... We haven't actually seen that side of the party for quite a while.  Infact the republicans have outspent and out programed beyond the dems wildest dreams.  What I keep hearing from various dems is the desire to spend within a ballanced budget.  I have heard no such calls from republicans, infact Bush in the start of his term announced that his admin would run on a deficit buget.  He said it would be temporary but that was a fucking joke.  So I have to disagree sorry... Bush and the neocons have nixed that notion while dems have called for it.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 06:38:35 AM »
Yes. I'd say so.

I left the party as did a lot of Republicans I knew because of how thing are being run.

I our opinion he's not a conservative at all. He's more of an old traditional southern democrat.

that's probably close to the truth.

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 06:39:34 AM »
but that's where I will disagree... We haven't actually seen that side of the party quite a while.  Infact the republicans have outspend and out programed beyond the dems wildest dreams.  What I keep hearing from various dems is the desire to spend within a ballanced budget.  I have heard no such calls from republicans, infact Bush in the start of his term announced that his admin would run on a deficit buget.  He said it would be temporary but that was a fucking joke.  So I have to disagree sorry... Bush and the neocons have nixed that notion while dems have called for it.

You're right. The Bush WH has spent like crazy.

That turns traditional conservatives off. Big time.

One of the reasons why many have turned their backs on Bush.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2008, 06:47:52 AM »
You're right. The Bush WH has spent like crazy.

That turns traditional conservatives off. Big time.

One of the reasons why many have turned their backs on Bush.

I really think the dems liked what happened in the 90's and took lessons from it.  Yes the republicans had their role in what happened, but I really do think the 90's changed the direction of the democratic party.  My biggest bitch with them now are the pussies running the show.  No matter what, you never ever tell a president that impeachment is off the table, it's a green light to do whatever.  Pelosi is a stupid bitch.  They've spent the last couple years putting up a few words then bending over and taking it up the ass and getting zero reward for their assreaming.  The dems need to grow a pair.

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2008, 06:58:58 AM »
I really think the dems liked what happened in the 90's and took lessons from it.  Yes the republicans had their role in what happened, but I really do think the 90's changed the direction of the democratic party.  My biggest bitch with them now are the pussies running the show.  No matter what, you never ever tell a president that impeachment is off the table, it's a green light to do whatever.  Pelosi is a stupid bitch.  They've spent the last couple years putting up a few words then bending over and taking it up the ass and getting zero reward for their assreaming.  The dems need to grow a pair.

That would explain their 9 percent approval rating.

The people that voted them in wanted change. Instead they get more of the same.

Surprised?

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2008, 07:12:07 AM »
That would explain their 9 percent approval rating.

The people that voted them in wanted change. Instead they get more of the same.

Surprised?

That's exactly right.  The 9% is all of congress.  The dems have been a little higher than the republicans and they were a lot higher.  Each time they caved, they got zero political reward, and a lower approval rating and they just kept repeating.  They've been pointless and dem voters are left shrugging their shoulders wondering wtf...  I really think it's pelosi, that bitch has been a disaster.  Honestly, If I were not absolutely sure that McCain would be more of the same Bush, I would say fuck it and vote for him.  But I think there is a better chance that Obama will change course and Pelosi will then have to shut the fuck up and do as told.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2008, 07:40:51 AM »
We have two relative disasters right now...Bush and Pelosi. 

I agree with the majority of the above.