Author Topic: Palin’s 17-Year-Old Daughter is Pregnant  (Read 7761 times)

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
Re: Palin’s 17-Year-Old Daughter is Pregnant
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2008, 03:37:03 PM »
It certainly is.   :-\

It certainly is.  ;D

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2008, 03:42:45 PM »
My only thing is - Palin simply cannot position herself as having good ideas on preventing teen pregnancies and expect ppl to take that with a straight face.

Based on what?

Let’s reverse the situation. Say that Palin believes in “comprehensive sex education” gave her daughter some rubbers to give to her boyfriend and they later decided NOT TO USE THEM, before getting freaky.

Does that mean that she can’t talk about “comprehensive sex education anymore”?

A "good idea" to keep teens from getting pregnant is having them NOT ENGAGE in the activity that causes pregnancy (i.e. sexual intercourse).

Whatever sexual education she got, it wasn't heeded. Hence, the reason's she got knocked up.

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2008, 03:48:58 PM »
Based on what?

You make very valid points MCWAY, but general perception simply won't go her way.

300lb obese personal trainers don't seem credible - they may know their stuff, won't seem credible to most people.

A mom whose teen daughter is knocked up, doesn't seem credible on the topic of preventing it to many people.

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2008, 03:51:17 PM »
Oh, its and issue whether you PERSONALLY want it to be or not. I don't think the evangelical base will be too please with this example of moral values or responsible parenting.  ;)

Is Palin a God-Bot?

I PERSONALLY don't care.

It doesn't change my opinion of either of the asshats running for POTUS.

This only seems to be a grave matter of concern to Obama's rabid fanbase.

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2008, 03:55:23 PM »
This only seems to be a grave matter of concern to Obama's rabid fanbase.

Just adds to the "mom voter" concern in some cases. Whether a mom with 5 kids - including a special needs baby, other young kids, a pregnant teenager really has priorities well in place.

I do NOT but some people [especially some older generation women] may think that she should have been paying more attention to the kid, and she wouldn't have gotten pregnant. I hear that about teen moms alot, parents are blamed.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2008, 03:59:21 PM »
You make very valid points MCWAY, but general perception simply won't go her way.

300lb obese personal trainers don't seem credible - they may know their stuff, won't seem credible to most people.

Hey, the personal trainers at Bally aren't that big. Two of the aerobic instructors, on the other hand...........

A mom whose teen daughter is knocked up, doesn't seem credible on the topic of preventing it to many people.

It wouldn't have matter what type of sex education Gov. Palin backed. Her daughter didn't abstain; she didn't have her boyfriend use a rubber, nor was she gulping down birth-control pills.

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2008, 04:03:43 PM »
Just adds to the "mom voter" concern in some cases. Whether a mom with 5 kids - including a special needs baby, other young kids, a pregnant teenager really has priorities well in place.

I do NOT but some people [especially some older generation women] may think that she should have been paying more attention to the kid, and she wouldn't have gotten pregnant. I hear that about teen moms alot, parents are blamed.

Then they're fools or hypocrites.

The right needs to acknowledge that people will do what they want. The best you can do is try to teach them well. A parent can only do so much. You give them the tools teach them and send them on their way. In the end people make their own choices and have to deal with the fallout.

The left can't have it both ways. They can't tell women to be strong and independent career women then get on them if they don't measure up to their standards of super mom. You're a mother, CQ. Raising children is a lot of work. It's even harder when you try to balance that will a full time job let alone try to run a state.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2008, 04:18:04 PM »
I don't see this as a direct parenting failure because you only have so much control over your kids, particularly these days.  My parents taught me well, and I was cautious most of the time but still made some bad decisions cause I was a teenage male who was a little hard to restrain at times.

Sounds like this was her boyfriend, she is going to have the baby and get married.  Thats RESPONSIBLE unlike what happens with so many teenage pregnancies.  I find it unfortunate that the daughter is pregnant at 17, but it doesn't affect my opinion of Palin.  I am relieved to see the family is supporting the daughter and she will be getting married.  17 & 18 year olds have gotten pregnant since the beginning of time.  Its how they deal with the pregnancy thats most important!  Thats what should be important.

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2008, 04:19:55 PM »
Then they're fools or hypocrites.

The right needs to acknowledge that people will do what they want. The best you can do is try to teach them well. A parent can only do so much. You give them the tools teach them and send them on their way. In the end people make their own choices and have to deal with the fallout.

The left can't have it both ways. They can't tell women to be strong and independent career women then get on them if they don't measure up to their standards of super mom. You're a mother, CQ. Raising children is a lot of work. It's even harder when you try to balance that will a full time job let alone try to run a state.

Agree, great points, especially about the "lot of work" and I only have one ;D

Which I why I feel with 5 kids, one special needs, one pregnant - there is no way she has the time to do both effectively. One will suffer, and neither choice is optimal :-\

Equal rights for women is great and needed, but if we as women make the choice to have even 1 kid, let alone 5...we really should put them first. If one wants to be career mad great - do it before or after kids, or do a medium demanding career. Many parents will question this, and it's not as she is female. If Obama had 3 more kids, one pregnant and one special needs - I would think he needs to get his ass home and be a dad.

And Shoot - I agree, no way should parents be blamed. Like you, I had great parents and I've made errors.

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2008, 04:21:12 PM »
I don't see this as a direct parenting failure because you only have so much control over your kids, particularly these days.  My parents taught me well, and I was cautious most of the time but still made some bad decisions cause I was a teenage male who was a little hard to restrain at times.

Sounds like this was her boyfriend, she is going to have the baby and get married.  Thats RESPONSIBLE unlike what happens with so many teenage pregnancies.  I find it unfortunate that the daughter is pregnant at 17, but it doesn't affect my opinion of Palin.  I am relieved to see the family is supporting the daughter and she will be getting married.  17 & 18 year olds have gotten pregnant since the beginning of time.  Its how they deal with the pregnancy thats most important!  Thats what should be important.

Oh yeah, getting married at 17 is a brilliant decision.

And nothing has changed in human culture since the beginning of time. Maybe Levi will bring Todd some cows in exchange for her daughter.  ::)

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #60 on: September 01, 2008, 04:24:53 PM »
Oh yeah, getting married at 17 is a brilliant decision.

And nothing has changed in human culture since the beginning of time. Maybe Levi will bring Todd some cows in exchange for her daughter.  ::)

Democratic presidential nominee Sen. Barack Obama issued this response to news of McCain running mate Gov. Sarah Palin's announcement that her teen daughter Bristol is pregnant:

"Let me be a clear as possible: I have said before and I will repeat again, I think people's families are off limits, and people's children are especially off limits," said Obama. "This shouldn't be part of our politics. It has no relevance to Gov. Palin's performance as a governor or her potential performance as a vice president.

"I would strongly urge people to back off these kinds of stories," Obama continued. "My mother had me when she was 18, and how family deals with issues and teenage children -- that shouldn't be the topic of our politics and I hope that anybody who's supporting me understands that's off limits."

When a journalist followed up by referring to McCain campaign charges that liberal blogs, some even tied to Obama, were behind rumors about Palin, the Illinois senator interjected, "I am offended by that statement. There is no evidence at all that any of this involved us.

"I hope I am as clear as can be, so in case I'm not, let me repeat: We don't go after people's families, we don't get them involved in the politics," Obama continued. "It's not appropriate and it's not relevant.

"Our people were not involved in any way in this and they will not be. And if I ever thought that it was somebody in my campaign that was involved in something like that, they'd be fired," closed Obama before departing.

Like Obama said, his mother was only 18 when she had him. She also married the man.

Epic fail on her part or is there a dramatic difference between the maturity of a 17 and 18 year old girl?

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2008, 04:27:23 PM »
Its a good decision when you have a child!  The error was already made in having a child too early but a greater mistake is to raise the child with one parent if there's a possibility of a family. There should be more pressure for people to take more responsibility if there is a pregnancy.  We have too many unwed single moms where the guys are irresponsible & bolt.

CQ has only of the only legitimate objections I have heard (outside Palin being light on experience).  She has 5 children.  If the husband will be a stay at home dad, or only works very part-time, I find it acceptible.  5 kids and both parents working outside the home, with a downs newborn...not acceptible.  I guess its better that two of her kids really aren't kids anymore but she still has younger ones at home.

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #62 on: September 01, 2008, 04:28:59 PM »
Its a good decision when you have a child!  The error was already made in having a child too early but a greater mistake is to raise the child with one parent.  There should be more pressure for people to take more responsibility if there is a pregnancy.  We have too many unwed mothers where the guys (kids) bolt.

CQ has only of the only legitimate objections I have heard (outside Palin being light on experience).  She has 5 children.  If the husband will be a stay at home dad, or only works very part-time, I find it acceptible.  5 kids and both parents working outside the home, with a downs newborn...not acceptible.  I guess its better that two of her kids really aren't kids anymore but she still has younger ones at home.

I've read reports that he stays home to take care of the kids.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #63 on: September 01, 2008, 04:30:18 PM »
Its a good decision when you have a child!  The error was already made in having a child too early but a greater mistake is to raise the child with one parent if there's a possibility of a family. There should be more pressure for people to take more responsibility if there is a pregnancy.  We have too many unwed mothers where the guys are irresponsible & bolt.

CQ has only of the only legitimate objections I have heard (outside Palin being light on experience).  She has 5 children.  If the husband will be a stay at home dad, or only works very part-time, I find it acceptible.  5 kids and both parents working outside the home, with a downs newborn...not acceptible.  I guess its better that two of her kids really aren't kids anymore but she still has younger ones at home.

They only have one that needs full-time care.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #64 on: September 01, 2008, 04:33:07 PM »
Really?  So if she would have given her daughter condoms or put her on the pill should wouldn't have had sex and wouldn't have gotten pregnant?

We don't know what failed.  Could have been the parents.  Could have been the training.  Could have been a hardheaded teenager.  None of us knows.   

Bum - the answer to your question is NO and then YES

contraception would not have prevented them from having sex but it would have prevented her from getting pregnant.

that's the point of contraception

the reason condoms or the pill work much better is because they are reliable and more importantly they take much less effort

abstinence not required

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #65 on: September 01, 2008, 04:35:45 PM »
One thing I am curious about - which seems dodgy to me...is why not say it right away? Would have seemed less "unseeming". If she is 5 months, she'll be ready to blow by election time so no way could it be a secret.

When she was announced, why not say 5 kids, a grandchild on the way from her daughter Bristol who is engaged, slap an enagement ring on the kid and it all would have looked better for perception. 17 may be young, but that would have looked better...recalling image matters.

Why wait - and release the info now? Thoughts anyone?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: September 01, 2008, 04:42:27 PM »
Bum - the answer to your question is NO and then YES

contraception would not have prevented them from having sex but it would have prevented her from getting pregnant.

that's the point of contraception

the reason condoms or the pill work much better is because they are reliable and more importantly they take much less effort

abstinence not required

LOL . . .  I see.  LOL. . . . You've never met a couple who produced a baby while on birth control?  You need to talk to people about this. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: September 01, 2008, 04:44:10 PM »
One thing I am curious about - which seems dodgy to me...is why not say it right away? Would have seemed less "unseeming". If she is 5 months, she'll be ready to blow by election time so no way could it be a secret.

When she was announced, why not say 5 kids, a grandchild on the way from her daughter Bristol who is engaged, slap an enagement ring on the kid and it all would have looked better for perception. 17 may be young, but that would have looked better...recalling image matters.

Why wait - and release the info now? Thoughts anyone?

Because it's a private matter.  They shouldn't have to "release" private family matters.  The only reason they did was to dispel the nasty rumors about baby no. 5. 

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: September 01, 2008, 04:45:47 PM »
In my opinion, her daughter's pregnancy is more private CQ and she probably wanted the attention focused on her and McCain.  This story with her daughter's pregnancy is newsworthy but not for more than a day or so.  It would have been much different if she would have lied about something.  Omitting a fact that has low relevence is not necessarily bad.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: September 01, 2008, 04:46:37 PM »
Exactly BB, even better than my answer.  They probably released the info now in responce to the smearing that was going on about the Down's baby.

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #70 on: September 01, 2008, 04:47:49 PM »
Because it's a private matter.  They shouldn't have to "release" private family matters.  The only reason they did was to dispel the nasty rumors about baby no. 5. 

Being real, running for VP nothing is private. I agree it should be but really, they cover anything down to when they sneeze. Stupid, but how it goes ::)

Her mother choose to accept, knowing how the press rolls, it was going to be an issue obviously. Palin made that choice to thrust her children in the limelight, so why do it this way is what I wonder?

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #71 on: September 01, 2008, 04:48:19 PM »
Exactly BB, even better than my answer.  They probably released the info now in responce to the smearing that was going on about the Down's baby.

Why anyone would put themselves through the crap of running for office boggles the mind.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: September 01, 2008, 04:51:20 PM »
I know.  Many of us want to make our country (or the world) better but stories like this show the contempt and selfishness of mankind.  We should be able to disagree with respect and without digging up so much irrelevent dirt.

IMO, political relationships are fair game, but kids no.

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #73 on: September 01, 2008, 04:57:52 PM »
Like Obama said, his mother was only 18 when she had him. She also married the man.

Epic fail on her part or is there a dramatic difference between the maturity of a 17 and 18 year old girl?

Obama's mother's marriage was a roaring success.  ::)  lasted all of what? two weeks?

What planet are you living on?  ::)

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #74 on: September 01, 2008, 05:00:46 PM »
No, Obama's mother's marriage was a roaring success.

What planet are you living on?  ::)

You missed the point as usual.

Was it irresponsible on the part of Obama's mother to have him at 18?

Does it reflect poorly on her parents?