Author Topic: Alabama to use "fat tax"  (Read 676 times)

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Alabama to use "fat tax"
« on: September 02, 2008, 10:20:44 AM »
If it has been posted already. Sorry.

I think it's a good idea. Why would anyone object to it?  I think they are moving on the right direction, eventhough they need to come up with a  plan that won't cost as much to implement (i.e. screening tests).

http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20080825/alabama-obesity-penalty-stirs-debate

BroadStreetBruiser

• Getbig V
  • "In Falcon We Trust"
Re: Alabama to use "fat tax"
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 10:22:29 AM »
I think a better idea would be to bring soft drinks down to 1 serving per bottle, stop the use of corn syrup along with hydronated oils. People only eat what is in front of them. Food is cheap and abundant because of cheap filler ingredients.

$

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 10:37:47 AM »
This is what they do in Indiana and Japan.

Clarian Health Partners, a hospital chain in Indiana, has taken a different approach. In 2009, they will start deducting money from the paychecks of workers who do not meet — and don't show efforts to meet — various health criteria. Smoking without trying to quit will cost $5; high glucose, high blood pressure and high cholesterol levels will cost $5 each; a high Body Mass Index will cost $10.

This is also happening abroad. Japan is monitoring the waist measurements of its policyholders, according to official government websites. Citizens receive jury duty-like summonses to appear for measurements — and if they're too fat, their employer will be slapped with a hefty fine. The maximum waist size allowed for men is 33.5 inches and 35.4 inches for women.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,414861,00.html

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 10:39:33 AM »
Give me a break:

"This is a dreadful, dreadful policy," said Judith S. Stern, an obesity expert and nutrition professor at University of California at Davis. "Overweight and obese people, especially women, feel that their weight is private, and being weighed at work is like having a prostate exam in the hall. It's not appropriate."

LOL!!!

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 11:14:20 AM »
Give me a break:

"This is a dreadful, dreadful policy," said Judith S. Stern, an obesity expert and nutrition professor at University of California at Davis. "Overweight and obese people, especially women, feel that their weight is private, and being weighed at work is like having a prostate exam in the hall. It's not appropriate."

LOL!!!

She must be a fatty.

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 11:28:24 AM »
Fat people are fat for a reason. They will always try to find a reason that is beyond their control to justify their fatness.

kmatt42

• Getbig I
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 11:29:51 AM »
great plan but........
BMI?
I am 5ft 8in and 180lb 12%BF.
BMI - 27.4 - I am Overweight and will be changed accordingly - BS

dknole

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 11:32:28 AM »
She must be a fatty.

No, she is just pro Hall prostate exams...