Author Topic: What If Bristol Palin Were Black?  (Read 1598 times)

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
What If Bristol Palin Were Black?
« on: September 02, 2008, 11:58:39 AM »
Christian-right leaders and conservative stalwarts have praised the decision of Bristol Palin, the daughter of Governor Sarah Palin, to carry her child to term. She is 17 and conceived this child out of wedlock. Now imagine she wasn't the daughter of a prominent Republican politician but an average person. Now imagine she was black.

What do you think conservatives would have to say about her? "Typical, urban youth with no sense of responsibility raised with loose morals who plans to depend on the state to take care of her child." You know it. It's not within dispute. That's exactly what they would say.

Barack Obama has told everyone to lay off this because it is a personal, family matter. Yes, but it also has public policy ramifications. Governor Palin is for abstinence only education. Well, that obviously didn't work.

Has she learned her lesson? Will she now amend her policy position on this matter given her personal record of failure in implementing this ridiculous stance?

Notice I am not blaming Bristol. Quite the opposite. People like me are the ones that defend the Bristols of the world. It is conservatives like James Dobson, Rush Limbaugh and yes, Governor Palin who usually attack people who find themselves in Bristol's situation. They demand a dogmatic adherence to moral strictures and chastise and belittle women who have children out of wedlock. Especially if they are women of color.

Which brings us back to Obama. Do you think the Republicans would lay off of Obama if his 17 year-old daughter had gotten pregnant out of wedlock? You know the answer to that question. Everyone does.

"This is what the permissive liberal attitude gets you. If you allow your children to think everything is acceptable, they have no boundaries. They wind up getting themselves in trouble like this. It's a predictable result of the liberal lifestyle."

And that's before the subtle and not so subtle racial implications are brought into this. There is a constant double-standard of how black and white people and politicians are covered in this country. When a young black girl gets pregnant, she's looking to get money from welfare. When a young white woman gets pregnant, she made an unfortunate mistake and her family is being supportive in trying to help the make the best of it.

Cindy McCain was addicted to drugs and stole from her own charity to feed her addiction. Now what do you think the Republicans would have done if Michelle Obama had done that? How do you think the press would have covered it? You think they would have called it a simple mistake and moved on?

When presented with these examples, no matter who you are, you know in your heart that this double standard exists. All of this is not said to condemn Bristol Palin or Cindy McCain. This is to get you to think twice about your own assumptions about the next time you hear a story of a young African-American woman who got pregnant in the inner city or a minority who got addicted to drugs and committed a crime to feed that addiction.

There but for the grace of God go Bristol Palin and Cindy McCain.
!

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
Re: What If Bristol Palin Were Black?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 12:01:42 PM »
Yes - I read that earlier, Obama would be roasted 10 times worse no matter what anyone says. He would not even get out the gate with a pregnant teen. Doubt Palin would either if she had to be voted in, not chosen by a few either.

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 12:03:37 PM »
So now its not only sexism but racism.
Good job on completing the circle.
Z

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 12:53:10 PM »
i have to say that its probably true that obama would have recieved more flak although by the ppl on this board palin is recieving a ton of it. Also you cant put that all on the ppl who would give the flak, the groups in the african american community have lended themselves to those stereotypes and dont seem to see anything wrong with it.

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 12:56:14 PM »
Race has been a non-issue for most of the campaign.
Thanks to Obama and to McCain.
To think the media would over play it I think speaks volumes.
Z

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 01:14:23 PM »
wow ok

Let's have a pity party for blacks, what if Hillary was black?

Race is an issue now I suppose, and the what if questions?

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 01:18:44 PM »
wow ok

Let's hav ea pity party for blacks, what if Hillary was black?
Well...what if? Give us your oh-so-intellectual analysis on what that would mean, as this article has done regarding Bristol Palin.
!

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 01:34:13 PM »
Well...what if? Give us your oh-so-intellectual analysis on what that would mean, as this article has done regarding Bristol Palin.

I'm guessing she would bitch about it, much like you do, and play the race card like Obama

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 01:36:48 PM »
I'm guessing she would bitch about it, much like you do.
Bitch about what?  ???
As usual, you make zero sense.
!

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 02:40:49 PM »
To add to it - look at the pics that are coming out now.

Wonder how well Obama would have done if pics of his pregnant teenager clutching a big bottle of Captain Morgan Rum, tossing up gang signs while wearing a bandanna would have went down.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 03:05:29 PM »
To add to it - look at the pics that are coming out now.

Wonder how well Obama would have done if pics of his pregnant teenager clutching a big bottle of Captain Morgan Rum, tossing up gang signs while wearing a bandanna would have went down.
LOL they have gangs in alaska? wtf?

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 03:09:44 PM »
LOL they have gangs in alaska? wtf?

no her and Benny are imagining people turning black.

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 03:14:33 PM »
no her and Benny are imagining people turning black.

Reaching and getting racist as usual.

Guess you have no other option with this, hard to defend this situation :)

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 03:33:11 PM »
Statistically speaking, this would be her 3rd or 4th child.
E

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2008, 04:26:57 PM »
Christian-right leaders and conservative stalwarts have praised the decision of Bristol Palin, the daughter of Governor Sarah Palin, to carry her child to term. She is 17 and conceived this child out of wedlock. Now imagine she wasn't the daughter of a prominent Republican politician but an average person. Now imagine she was black.

What do you think conservatives would have to say about her? "Typical, urban youth with no sense of responsibility raised with loose morals who plans to depend on the state to take care of her child." You know it. It's not within dispute. That's exactly what they would say.

Barack Obama has told everyone to lay off this because it is a personal, family matter. Yes, but it also has public policy ramifications. Governor Palin is for abstinence only education. Well, that obviously didn't work.

Has she learned her lesson? Will she now amend her policy position on this matter given her personal record of failure in implementing this ridiculous stance?

Notice I am not blaming Bristol. Quite the opposite. People like me are the ones that defend the Bristols of the world. It is conservatives like James Dobson, Rush Limbaugh and yes, Governor Palin who usually attack people who find themselves in Bristol's situation. They demand a dogmatic adherence to moral strictures and chastise and belittle women who have children out of wedlock. Especially if they are women of color.

Which brings us back to Obama. Do you think the Republicans would lay off of Obama if his 17 year-old daughter had gotten pregnant out of wedlock? You know the answer to that question. Everyone does.

"This is what the permissive liberal attitude gets you. If you allow your children to think everything is acceptable, they have no boundaries. They wind up getting themselves in trouble like this. It's a predictable result of the liberal lifestyle."

And that's before the subtle and not so subtle racial implications are brought into this. There is a constant double-standard of how black and white people and politicians are covered in this country. When a young black girl gets pregnant, she's looking to get money from welfare. When a young white woman gets pregnant, she made an unfortunate mistake and her family is being supportive in trying to help the make the best of it.

Cindy McCain was addicted to drugs and stole from her own charity to feed her addiction. Now what do you think the Republicans would have done if Michelle Obama had done that? How do you think the press would have covered it? You think they would have called it a simple mistake and moved on?

When presented with these examples, no matter who you are, you know in your heart that this double standard exists. All of this is not said to condemn Bristol Palin or Cindy McCain. This is to get you to think twice about your own assumptions about the next time you hear a story of a young African-American woman who got pregnant in the inner city or a minority who got addicted to drugs and committed a crime to feed that addiction.

There but for the grace of God go Bristol Palin and Cindy McCain.

She could be the fucking color green for all I care.

It's still a private family matter.

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2008, 06:05:25 PM »
Statistically speaking, this would be her 3rd or 4th child.

Epic truth from Danielson.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2008, 10:17:32 PM »
She could be the fucking color green for all I care.

It's still a private family matter.

It WAS a private family matter until they chose to hold a press conference and announce it to the world
w

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2008, 10:24:22 PM »
It WAS a private family matter until they chose to hold a press conference and announce it to the world
LOL you think there might have been a reason to head the storm off at the pass?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2008, 10:27:25 PM »
LOL you think there might have been a reason to head the storm off at the pass?

they announced it because nat'l enquirer was about to announce it.

they got edwards too.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2008, 10:28:29 PM »

::)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2008, 10:30:25 PM »
they announced it because nat'l enquirer was about to announce it.

they got edwards too.
exactly it was gonna come out anyway so why not put it out there first

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2008, 11:59:16 PM »
exactly it was gonna come out anyway so why not put it out there first

Not necessarily, ...they could've kept her out of school claiming ...a bad reoccurence of mono or something?
...or that she'd be home-schooled with a personal tutor for the duration of the campaign for security reasons,
...they could have claimed a National Security issue and or claimed Presidential priviledge...
...it's not like they'd be setting any precedent, ...these have apparently all been used before.

As for the baby, ...they could've done a Cindy Mccain, ...and claimed to pick her up on a trip to Georgia.
They could've added it to her résume as having additional foreign policy and national security experience.  :D
w

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2008, 12:02:55 AM »

Its called getting out in front of the news cycle. Bad news doesn't get better with time. So they told their story before morons like the Daily Kos, could tell their version.
L

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2008, 12:17:31 AM »
Its called getting out in front of the news cycle. Bad news doesn't get better with time. So they told their story before morons like the Daily Kos, could tell their version.

I don't deny that might be their motivation, ...however, by doing so, ...they take it from out of the sphere of a private family matter into the glaring white hot spotlight that is a very public matter!

If I was insolvent, that would be my personal business, ...however, ...if I were insolvent and held a press conference to tell the world that "hey, ...I'm solvent, and I want you to vote for me because I can fix the economy", ...well then I'd think my lack of liquidity would have some relevance on both my credibility, as well as my fitness and ability to manage, let alone fix the economy. It's unfortunate that the barometer for measuring her suitability comes in the form of a minor child (not to mention all the other stuff), but the bottom line is the public does have a barometer to measure the results of her policies of abstinence only and no sex education. She's given us all a crystal ball with which to see the future results of stupid ineffective policies. At least for those who still have critical thinking faculties. For all others... well... they will continue to see what they want to see I suppose.

ps: Why do you call it bad news? According to the evangelical right, ...it's not bad news... it's a blessing.  :D
w

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2008, 01:13:33 AM »
If Obama had a pregnant 17yo daughter the baby would be killed.