Author Topic: Romney readies for White House run if McCain fails  (Read 420 times)

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
Romney readies for White House run if McCain fails
« on: September 03, 2008, 07:14:52 AM »
Romney readies for White House run if McCain fails
By GLEN JOHNSON, Associated Press Writer

Like his father, Mitt Romney ran for governor and won. Like his father, Mitt Romney ran for president and lost.

But even if his former GOP rival John McCain wins the presidency in November, Romney says he won't emulate his father by taking a Cabinet position — apparently because he still has his eye on the presidency.

"I saw my dad serve in the Cabinet, and I learned something from that experience," the former Massachusetts governor said Tuesday. "He felt he was kind of soldiered (manhandled) by the young folks in the White House, and then there's the big bureaucracy that you try and move. It's hard to do that. I just don't have any interest in a Cabinet position."

Since ending his own bid for the Republican presidential nomination in February, Romney has done everything asked of him to advance McCain's candidacy.

He played attack dog in media interviews arranged by the McCain staff, enduring hoots and hollers last week as he visited news sets on the floor of the Democratic National Convention in Denver. He recommended one of his best advisers, former eBay chief executive Meg Whitman, to McCain. And he and his team raised more than $20 million for his once cash-strapped rival, all of which prompted McCain's top advisers to chat up the possibility that Romney might become the Arizona senator's running mate.

Yet last Thursday, as Romney traveled the California coast urging supporters to give McCain's campaign more money, McCain offered the vice presidential nomination to Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin. McCain told Romney his decision Friday, the day Palin's selection was announced.

In one sense, it was a crushing blow. But in another, it was liberating.

While Romney wished McCain and Palin well, his friends and advisers say if they fail in the general election, Romney is primed — even anxious — to mount a second bid for the White House.

He left himself some wiggle room Tuesday, saying, "That's not in my mind; that's not in my plans."

Now, Romney can again concentrate on the presidency, even as he buffs a veneer of support for the McCain-Palin ticket with his speech to the Republican National Convention on Wednesday.

Indeed, Romney's stumping for McCain in recent months has also served to maintain his visibility and future political viability.

Romney knew it would be rude to be a sore loser. So, even though he thought he had endorsed McCain in the Feb. 7 speech that ended his own presidential bid, Romney submitted to cameras and questions a week later to reiterate that support for the rival he once said lacked the economics background to be president.

Romney also established the Free and Strong America PAC, a political action committee dedicated to helping not only McCain but also like-minded congressional and state political candidates. But the PAC also gives Romney a vehicle to raise money and travel the country, promoting himself as much as the candidates he wants to endorse.

He used a similar committee, and his 2006 chairmanship of the Republican Governors Association, to build the network of advisers, contributors and supporters he relied on during his presidential campaign. The Free and Strong America PAC also allows gives Romney a headquarters where he can remain in contact with his inner circle of advisers.

Should McCain fail, it's no stretch to see Romney hitting the trail again on Nov. 5 in pursuit of the job he wanted from the start.
!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Romney readies for White House run if McCain fails
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 07:34:20 AM »
romney will be a beast in 2012.

however, he'll have to get people to like him, simply put.

genius with business an dmoney, but the more he campaigned, the more he dropped.

definiton of elite, no doubt about it.

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 09:21:53 AM »
romney will be a beast in 2012.

however, he'll have to get people to like him, simply put.

genius with business an dmoney, but the more he campaigned, the more he dropped.

definiton of elite, no doubt about it.

I still don't get why people have an issue with that?

I would rather have some filthy rich man like Romney, whose has literally made hundreds of millions of dollars in charge of the economy, then some person who managed to scrounge up $5,000. We *all* like money, so what people just strived to be broke or were they unable to do well financially?

I really don't get that thought pattern, but I understand it's an important perception.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 10:17:20 AM »
they only have an issue when the canddiate makes it an issue.

when mccain called obama 'elite' because he said poor folks cling to religion and guns, then lost track of how many houses he owned, it looked bad.

And someone who grew up in govt houses, the projects, then the trailer park... I can tell you that people without money DO cling to religion for hope, and guns for security.  It's easy for mccian to have hope and security, he's worth $100 million.  When you don't have healthcare and you live in a crime-ridden neighborhood, you do pray all the time, and you do clutch your gun.  It's reality that many don't get.

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 05:09:30 PM »
I am personally much more impressed by men and women who pull themselves up from nothing and through their own hard work and intelligence achieve success. Barack Obama and Bill Clinton are two examples of this.
!