Author Topic: "I showed up to just drink beer and ended up looking at the lights....  (Read 1526 times)

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
...at the top of the ceiling"

Don Frye undeterred by loss, looking to continue fighting career

Although approaching 43 years old, UFC, PRIDE and K-1 veteran Don Frye (19-7-1) continues to ply his trade in the MMA business. However a recent submission loss to Ikuhisa Minowa (40-28-8) has caused many to question the aging veteran's fighting future.

Frye recently joined TAGG Radio (www.taggradio.com), the official radio partner of MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) to discuss his disappointing loss, and he spoke candidly about his desire to continue to fight despite approaching an age at which most choose to retire.

"I didn't show up to fight," Frye admitted. "I showed up to just drink beer and ended up looking at the lights at the top of the ceiling. He opened up a can of whoop-ass I couldn't close.

"Like a dumbass I thought I could go out and charm my way to a victory because I was Don Frye. Unfortunately he didn’t find me charming."

Any time a fighter of Frye's age experiences defeat, questions are immediately raised about his thirst for competition.

"It depends on the pay scale," Frye admitted. "As long as they keep paying me, I'll keep on fighting."

With athletic attributes diminishing as a fighter gets older, a fighter only continuing for a paycheck can create a dangerous situation. Frye spoke about falling into this potential trap.

"When I was growing up watching Muhammed Ali and Larry Holmes, I saw those guys take fights way past their prime," Frye said. "I swore to myself I wouldn't do that, but money talks."

A pioneer of MMA who debuted in 1996 at UFC 8, Frye said he wasn’t ready to ruin the legacy he has spent years developing. But that doesn't mean "The Predator" doesn't intend to return to action.

"But next time I decide to fight, I will train my ass off to uphold the name I have spent 13 years building," Frye said. "I am not going to screw it off like I did last time with Minowa."

Frye also answered listeners' advice questions in his always unique manner in his weekly segment "Don Frye-days." To hear the full segment, download Friday's edition of TAGG Radio, available for free in the TAGG Radio archives.

w

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
Re: "I showed up to just drink beer and ended up looking at the lights....
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 10:23:27 AM »
Best 'stache in MMA
Z

TheIronWarrior

• Getbig II
  • Do you know Meecho?
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 12:02:00 PM »
He looks like a beefed up Tom Selleck................. .... ;D

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 12:27:36 PM »

No doubt... :o

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 12:14:15 AM »
Best 'stache in MMA
even Tom himself would have to agree. im not sure there are two people in the world who look more alike than those two.

Ruffneck

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 12:57:02 AM »
Frye is a legend.

TheIronWarrior

• Getbig II
  • Do you know Meecho?
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 09:43:56 AM »
He actually holds the shared record for the fastest UFC KO: I believe.

Dball

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 12:53:23 PM »

Don Frye would slap the taste out of Tom's mouth.  That guy was a killer back in the day.  Those old PRIDE tapes are the stuff of legends.

Dreadlord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 02:59:01 PM »
Yup I concur - Don Frye was brutal back in the day. He was running over everyone until mark Coleman stopped him.

Nice to see that Frye is being honest about his motivations to fight. He's pretty popular in Japan so I'm sure they'll bring him back as long as he puts on a good show.