Author Topic: Martin Luther King - Community Organizer  (Read 4395 times)

youandme

• Getbig V
Re: Martin Luther King - Community Organizer
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2008, 09:00:42 PM »
I am comparing past jobs. Like Obama, she did 'regular' work before going into office. What is being a housewife, fishing and reading some hockey scores on TV doing for the country? Nothing. Neither do many jobs so no diss. Mine doesn't for sure.

I don't need to answer that CQ cause you just did. You named off the things that are American hobbies, and past times, they may not "help" the country but they are as American as apple pie.

What hobbies does Obama have? Windsurfing, and protesting.

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2008, 09:04:00 PM »
I don't need to answer that CQ cause you just did. You named off the things that are American hobbies, and past times, they may not "help" the country but they are as American as apple pie.

What hobbies does Obama have? Windsurfing, and protesting.

IMO, I would say teaching is also pretty "American". With no teachers, there is no decent next generation. Always a profession I admired, I helped at my kids school class a couple of times and could have strangled some kids. My sister-in-law is a college professor, and the stories she tells.

BTW, I like this rational debating youandme 8)

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2008, 09:14:26 PM »
IMO, I would say teaching is also pretty "American". With no teachers, there is no decent next generation. Always a profession I admired, I helped at my kids school class a couple of times and could have strangled some kids. My sister-in-law is a college professor, and the stories she tells.

BTW, I like this rational debating youandme 8)

Teaching, I would call that American as well, but it does not send that thrill or connection to others, because unlike you, not many people have the ability or have had the chance to connect with someone and show them new truths or push for ideas. Haha maybe people think of teaching and have flashbacks of that mean math teacher.

Also teaching is so cliche, what did he teach? Law - that does not associate itself with reaching across the isle to the independent voter, who worries about too much law, and too much government.

All I know is when I think Palin, I think of a more down to earth person than any and all of the candidates in office, and runing for office.

Women have a sixth sense,,,,I would not mind at all to have that in the White House when it comes time for hard decisons.

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2008, 09:22:19 PM »
Teaching, I would call that American as well, but it does not send that thrill or connection to others, because unlike you, not many people have the ability or have had the chance to connect with someone and show them new truths or push for ideas. Haha maybe people think of teaching and have flashbacks of that mean math teacher.

Also teaching is so cliche, what did he teach? Law - that does not associate itself with reaching across the isle to the independent voter, who worries about too much law, and too much government.

All I know is when I think Palin, I think of a more down to earth person than any and all of the candidates in office, and runing for office.

Women have a sixth sense,,,,I would not mind at all to have that in the White House when it comes time for hard decisons.

All good points, but I still think teaching is a very important job. Basically all jobs should be respected, why is why I felt the diss was rude. Personally, I have snickered at like trash men in my younger days, but honest work is honest work I really shouldn't have done that :P

My thing is, I think more *quality* ppl need to go into teaching, so the education system can pick up. Hence why I think the job deserves respect. I am not dissing fishing or being as housewife, as strangely enough my husband actually fished while I was a housewife lol, but in the end doesn't help ppl per se.

Good and great teachers make a world of difference to many kids lives - hence ours as less chance they will be stealing our cars or soaking welfare tax dollars etc.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2008, 01:07:08 AM »
What did MLK do for pasty white people like myself? 

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2008, 05:29:48 AM »
He tried to teach White Americans the meaning of behaving in a civilized manner towards those different from yourself and standing up for the rights of those being treated like 2nd class citizens. MLK tried to highlight the importance of supporting the less fortunate, the underprivileged, and those not being paid a livable wage for a hard day's work. If you open your eyes, learning to treat your fellow man like a human being worthy of equal dignity and respect, it makes you a better human being. It is worthwhile whether you are black, brown, yellow, or "pasty white" as you call yourself.
!

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2008, 05:45:58 AM »
You can't compare MLK to Obama...not even close.  But you are right, it the context of accomplishments, community organizer doesn't compare to mayor/govenor

get off of Obama's jock

And that was the point. When Palin was announced as the VP pick last week, the Obama camp and many on the left belittled her accomplishments, specifically that of her being the mayor of her small hometown.

Palin simply threw it back in their faces. If a small-town mayor and 2-year governor isn’t qualified, then Obama CERTAINLY is not qualified. And he’s at the top, not the bottom, of his party’s ticket. That's why Obama has been so defensive of his "community organizer" credentials.

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2008, 05:52:28 AM »
And that was the point. When Palin was announced as the VP pick last week, the Obama camp and many on the left belittled her accomplishments, specifically that of her being the mayor of her small hometown.

Palin simply threw it back in their faces. If a small-town mayor and 2-year governor isn’t qualified, then Obama CERTAINLY is not qualified. And he’s at the top, not the bottom, of his party’s ticket. That's why Obama has been so defensive of his "community organizer" credentials.

hahaha
How is Obama "defensive" of the job he held for three years fresh out of college?  ::)

Palin slung a lot of bullshit in her snarky speech...let's see how she handles the next two months. Will she run and hid or begin doing interviews. Obama was on O'Reilly last night and will be on This Week on ABC this Sunday. Will Palin sit down with Wolf Blitzer? Will she sit in the hot seat of Meet The Press? Or will she give stump speeches and run back to Alaska?
!

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2008, 05:56:40 AM »

I also assume you are joking. Read up on him.

His ideals of peace, love, forgiveness, nonviolence, family and the way people should live are ones if we all lived by, excuse the cliche, the world would be a better place.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2008, 11:11:08 AM »
hahaha
How is Obama "defensive" of the job he held for three years fresh out of college?  ::)

He's defensive, because he took a pot shot at Palin's qualifications. She shot back with the line about "community organizers", and now his feelings are hurt.

Palin slung a lot of bullshit in her snarky speech...let's see how she handles the next two months. Will she run and hid or begin doing interviews. Obama was on O'Reilly last night and will be on This Week on ABC this Sunday. Will Palin sit down with Wolf Blitzer? Will she sit in the hot seat of Meet The Press? Or will she give stump speeches and run back to Alaska?

As for Obama, O'Reilly has been asking him to come on the show for MONTHS; he finally made his appearance yesterday. Palin's been on the national stage for a whopping SEVEN DAYS. How the heck is that running and hiding?  She'll get to the interviewing in due time.

The Coach

« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2008, 11:12:38 AM »
To raise money from bakes sales and car washes to get the local boys football team new jerseys.

Hahahahahaha.....perfect!!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2008, 01:09:00 PM »
Jesus Christ was a Community Organizer. Pontius Pilate was a Governor.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2008, 03:22:54 PM »
Because of MLK I always got an extra day off school when I was a kid!  RIP MLK. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2008, 03:24:31 PM »
FACT: Mccain voted against MLK day for many years.

TerminalPower

• Getbig III
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2008, 03:45:45 PM »
He tried to teach White Americans the meaning of behaving in a civilized manner towards those different from yourself and standing up for the rights of those being treated like 2nd class citizens.

No need to read past this racist bullshit sentence.  What planet are you from?  I expected this type of stupidity from a Black Panther or KKK member. 

Wow Benny you hit the nail on the head.

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2008, 03:49:34 PM »
No need to read past this racist bullshit sentence.  What planet are you from?  I expected this type of stupidity from a Black Panther or KKK member. 

Wow Benny you hit the nail on the head.

Are you saying it was civilized at the time? Hanging people from trees strictly due to race? Denying people equal rights? Bombing churches? Adults ganging up on little kids walking into school and shouting obsenities at them?

I guess we all have our definition of civilised, but in my mind things like above don't apply for me.

TerminalPower

• Getbig III
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2008, 04:01:15 PM »
Are you saying it was civilized at the time? Hanging people from trees strictly due to race? Denying people equal rights? Bombing churches? Adults ganging up on little kids walking into school and shouting obsenities at them?

I guess we all have our definition of civilised, but in my mind things like above don't apply for me.

I am saying that people like you like to lump White People together.  This is called STEREOTYPING something you & Benny should have learned from MLK. 

Brixtonbulldog

• Getbig V
  • TAKE YO FUCKING JACKET WIT YA
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2008, 04:39:18 PM »
This thread makes me miss the days when you were spouting your conspiracy theories about 9/11. 

Get off Obama's nuts, Rob.  Salvage whatever credibility you have left and show some damn objectivity for once!

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2008, 06:50:39 AM »
I am saying that people like you like to lump White People together.  This is called STEREOTYPING something you & Benny should have learned from MLK. 

I'm sure you have SO much to teach me about MLK.  ::)

clip from the sermon sermon "Why Jesus Called A Wise Man A Fool"

Dr. King's final sermon, "The Drum Major Instinct", is heard at his own funeral.
!

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2008, 02:57:22 PM »

Obviously you need to work on your education or your manners - one or the other.

Unlike you, I am not race obsessed, go through all damn 7,000 of my posts and you will see that.

TerminalPower

• Getbig III
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2008, 04:26:44 PM »
Obviously you need to work on your education or your manners - one or the other.

Unlike you, I am not race obsessed, go through all damn 7,000 of my posts and you will see that.

Manners perhaps, but I tend to tell it like I see it.  Now if that offends you....tough shit! 

Race obsessed?  Nah, just race "aware", many Black people helped me be more aware.

TerminalPower

• Getbig III
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2008, 04:32:51 PM »
I'm sure you have SO much to teach me about MLK.  ::)

clip from the sermon sermon "Why Jesus Called A Wise Man A Fool"

Dr. King's final sermon, "The Drum Major Instinct", is heard at his own funeral.

Nah, you can do it on your own, otherwise my tutoring fees are by the hour. 

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2008, 04:41:22 PM »

He freed many 'pasty white people' from the bondage of slavery, ...the disgusting legacy bequeathed by your forefathers. The kind that enslaves minds, more securely than chains do the body.
He freed 'pasty white people' from the kind of slavery that leads to incredibly foolhardy bouts of hubris, injustice
...and the stupidity of following other suicidal white people off a cliff because their legacy won't allow them to follow a Black man to prosperity.

He also freed a lot of 'pasty white people' from dogmas that suppressed their own inclinations & desires.

After all, ...you know what they say... Once you go Black...  :P

...and he paved the way for Vanilla Ice and the Beastie boys.  ;D
w

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2008, 04:52:15 PM »

Jesus Christ was a Community Organizer. Pontius Pilate was a Governor.

Definate cross court 3-pointer   :D
w

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2008, 12:13:58 AM »

Definate cross court 3-pointer   :D

I noticed the people who love both the bible and elective wars ignored that.