Author Topic: Obama: I Have More Executive Experience Than Palin  (Read 748 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Obama: I Have More Executive Experience Than Palin
« on: September 05, 2008, 01:27:16 AM »
Absurd.     

by FOXNews.com
Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Barack Obama contends that he is more experienced in executive matters than Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin because he has managed his presidential campaign for the past 18 months.

Speaking on a cable news channel Monday night, the Democratic presidential nominee said he is better prepared to handle a disaster like Hurricane Gustav because of his pursuit of the White House.

“Well, my understanding is that Governor Palin’s town of Wasilla has, I think, 50 employees. We’ve got 2,500 in this campaign. I think their budget is maybe $12 million a year. You know, we have a budget of about three times that just for the month. So I think that our ability to manage large systems and to execute I think has been made clear over the last couple of years,” Obama said.

John McCain’s spokesman called the suggestion “laughable.”

“For Barack Obama to argue that he’s experienced enough to be president because he’s running for president is desperate circular logic and its laughable. It is a testament to Barack Obama’s inexperience and failing qualifications that he would stoop to passing off his candidacy as comparable to Governor Sarah Palin’s executive experience managing a budget of over $10 billion and more than 24,000 employees,” said spokesman Tucker Bounds.

Republican National Committee Victory 2008 Chairwoman Carly Fiorina also blasted the Democratic campaign.

“I am appalled by the Obama campaign’s attempts to belittle Governor Sarah Palin’s experience.  The facts are that Sarah Palin has made more executive decisions as a mayor and governor than Barack Obama has made in his life,” Fiorina said, adding that the Obama camp’s attacks raise the question of sexism.

“Because of Hillary Clinton’s historic run for the presidency and the treatment she received, American women are more highly tuned than ever to recognize and decry sexism in all its forms.  They will not tolerate sexist treatment of Governor Palin,” she said.

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/09/02/obama-i-have-more-executive-experience-than-palin/

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
Re: Obama: I Have More Executive Experience Than Palin
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 06:08:07 AM »
Ah, now you are being disingenious BB. Find me the direct quote where Obama said "I have more executive ability than Palin" as you headline please.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 06:32:44 AM »
The problem is that her executive experience is all bad (though uniquely Republican)

When she became started as mayor of Wasilla the town has zero debt.  When she left it had $22 million in debt.  There are many examples of her using her "power" as mayor to intimidate people (including the city librarian for not removing certain books Palin found objectionable) and eventually she forced to hire an administrator to actually run the city so she could deal with a recall campaign.

Her executive experience as govenor was mostly going to Washington to lobby for pork to bring back to her homestate (including the bridge to nowhere that she was for before she was against it.....and kept the $$$ anyway).

Basically she a classic neocon who fucks up everything she touches.

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 06:53:03 AM »
When she became started as mayor of Wasilla the town has zero debt.  When she left it had $22 million in debt. 

Yes, reading this everywhere. Zero to $22 million debt is quite an accomplishment for a small town.

Palin looks to be an expert in exexutive experience in debt allright, she looks like she could do a better job that Bush in increasing it. At least Bush had a entire nation and an attack as an excuse, a small town racking up that debt?

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 07:59:36 AM »
Do you guys have more detail on this?  Is it a deficit, or just debt?

Debt financing isn't necessarily a bad thing.  Maybe improvements (infrastructure, etc...) were made to the state, which, you know, cost money.  Just because an entity has debt doesn't mean it's bankrupt or struggling to pay off that debt.

Are there direct cases of wasted spending, because, from what I've seen, she eliminated frivolous things like corporate jets and the like.
Y

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 08:55:51 AM »
Do you guys have more detail on this?  Is it a deficit, or just debt?

Debt financing isn't necessarily a bad thing.  Maybe improvements (infrastructure, etc...) were made to the state, which, you know, cost money.  Just because an entity has debt doesn't mean it's bankrupt or struggling to pay off that debt.

Are there direct cases of wasted spending, because, from what I've seen, she eliminated frivolous things like corporate jets and the like.

All the sites I got it from just said it was a straight case of Wasilla having no debt at all when she went in, and her leaving it with 22 million when she went out.

She was also getting like $4,000 federal funds for every person as well during this time. Also apparently she lowered property tax but raised other taxes, such as sales, for an overall raise of 30% plus or so. Thta is of course my google warrior input, I do not know obviously.

I read on not exactly totally reliable source sites, that it was for like building some whopping sports center where a hockey rink was the highlight, and then/now it is some debate whether the land was actually government owned.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 09:01:48 AM »
All the sites I got it from just said it was a straight case of Wasilla having no debt at all when she went in, and her leaving it with 22 million when she went out.

Thanks for checking,  but that doesn't tell us much.   As I mentioned, having debt isn't always bad.  If she ran a balanced budget into a deficit, I think there's something to be said.  If she made improvements to the town through debt financing and the town can afford to pay the debt, it a positive.
Y

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 09:08:22 AM »
by FOXNews.com

Fox news created that headline and quote.  Obama didn't really say that, did he?

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 09:18:53 AM »
Thanks for checking,  but that doesn't tell us much.   As I mentioned, having debt isn't always bad.  If she ran a balanced budget into a deficit, I think there's something to be said.  If she made improvements to the town through debt financing and the town can afford to pay the debt, it a positive.

I concur. Similar principle as a mortage really.

But sports and hockey rink assuming that to be true? I know sports are positive, but is a big venue really so vital for a town of 7,000 or whatever? I assume they cannot host big events or games etc, like say big cities pouring cash in to draw revenue from events. Anchorage is what 45 mins away? Wouldn't big events be hosted there?

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 09:30:32 AM »
I concur. Similar principle as a mortage really.

But sports and hockey rink assuming that to be true? I know sports are positive, but is a big venue really so vital for a town of 7,000 or whatever? I assume they cannot host big events or games etc, like say big cities pouring cash in to draw revenue from events. Anchorage is what 45 mins away? Wouldn't big events be hosted there?

I don't know the whole story, but it is Alaska, and we've learned there not much to do there besides play hockey and impregnate teenagers.  Since she couldn't justify funding a frat house, the hockey rink was probaly the next best thing.
Y

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008, 09:32:00 AM »
I don't know the whole story, but it is Alaska, and we've learned there not much to do there besides play hockey and impregnate teenagers.  Since she couldn't justify funding a frat house, the hockey rink was probaly the next best thing.

lmao

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2008, 01:42:03 AM »
Ah, now you are being disingenious BB. Find me the direct quote where Obama said "I have more executive ability than Palin" as you headline please.

Not "my" headline.  I didn't write it.  But I do agree with it.   :)  Just read his quotes.  I'm pretty sure he was responding to a question about the experience between the two.  Touting his experience managing a campaign and comparing that to experience as a mayor and governor is just ridiculous.