Author Topic: Alaska State Jet didn't Fly on Ebay.  (Read 961 times)

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
Alaska State Jet didn't Fly on Ebay.
« on: September 05, 2008, 05:51:39 PM »
Not a lie... but an interesting omission.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/09/05/alaska-state-jet-didnt-fly-on-ebay/

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (CNN) — Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin bolstered her fiscal-conservative credentials early in her term by putting her predecessor's state jet up for auction online.

"That luxury jet was over the top," she told Republican National Convention delegates when she accepted the party's vice presidential nomination Wednesday night. "I put it on eBay."

Since Palin was chosen as Arizona Sen. John McCain's running mate last week, the story has become a cornerstone of the Republican effort to paint Palin as a reformer who took on her own party establishment.

"How many saw her speech a couple of nights ago? Wasn't it fabulous?" McCain said Friday during a campaign stop in Cedarburg, Wisconsin. "You know what I enjoyed the most? She took the luxury jet that was purchased by her predecessor and sold it on eBay — and made a profit."

But it turns out the twin-engine Westwind II was a tough sell on the Web — and the state eventually pulled it offline and sold it through an ordinary brick-and-mortar brokerage, for a loss, a spokeswoman said Friday.

"Governor Palin has been correct in saying that she put the plane on eBay," McCain campaign spokeswoman Maria Comella told CNN. "They did end up selling it for $2.1 million. but not on eBay."

Palin's predecessor, Frank Murkowski, bought the jet for $2.7 million in 2005. The following year, Palin unseated Murkowski in the state's Republican primary and became governor: Upon taking office, she wanted to unload what former aide Meg Stapleton called "a symbol of corruption."

Stapleton told CNN that Murkowski paid too much for the jet, and that it was costing taxpayers money just sitting in the hangar.

"Eventually you had to concede and say, 'How often are we going to pay these bills and waste more state dollars?' " she said.

When putting it on eBay failed, aircraft broker Rob Heckmann was called in to sell the jet. Businessman Larry Reynolds bought the five-passenger jet for sold for $2.1 million. And Reynolds is now seeking another $50,000 from the state for unexpected maintenance issues with the aircraft.

The Coach

Re: Alaska State Jet didn't Fly on Ebay.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 06:00:47 PM »
Not a lie... but an interesting omission.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/09/05/alaska-state-jet-didnt-fly-on-ebay/

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (CNN) — Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin bolstered her fiscal-conservative credentials early in her term by putting her predecessor's state jet up for auction online.

"That luxury jet was over the top," she told Republican National Convention delegates when she accepted the party's vice presidential nomination Wednesday night. "I put it on eBay."

Since Palin was chosen as Arizona Sen. John McCain's running mate last week, the story has become a cornerstone of the Republican effort to paint Palin as a reformer who took on her own party establishment.

"How many saw her speech a couple of nights ago? Wasn't it fabulous?" McCain said Friday during a campaign stop in Cedarburg, Wisconsin. "You know what I enjoyed the most? She took the luxury jet that was purchased by her predecessor and sold it on eBay — and made a profit."

But it turns out the twin-engine Westwind II was a tough sell on the Web — and the state eventually pulled it offline and sold it through an ordinary brick-and-mortar brokerage, for a loss, a spokeswoman said Friday.

"Governor Palin has been correct in saying that she put the plane on eBay," McCain campaign spokeswoman Maria Comella told CNN. "They did end up selling it for $2.1 million. but not on eBay."

Palin's predecessor, Frank Murkowski, bought the jet for $2.7 million in 2005. The following year, Palin unseated Murkowski in the state's Republican primary and became governor: Upon taking office, she wanted to unload what former aide Meg Stapleton called "a symbol of corruption."

Stapleton told CNN that Murkowski paid too much for the jet, and that it was costing taxpayers money just sitting in the hangar.

"Eventually you had to concede and say, 'How often are we going to pay these bills and waste more state dollars?' " she said.

When putting it on eBay failed, aircraft broker Rob Heckmann was called in to sell the jet. Businessman Larry Reynolds bought the five-passenger jet for sold for $2.1 million. And Reynolds is now seeking another $50,000 from the state for unexpected maintenance issues with the aircraft.

K........what am I missing?

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 06:04:44 PM »
Before she was against the bridge to nowhere, she was for it ;D

The Coach

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 06:08:50 PM »
Before she was against the bridge to nowhere, she was for it ;D

Actually I heard something about that today...can't remember where tho.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 06:16:32 PM »
Actually I heard something about that today...can't remember where tho.
yup, it's true.  She was for using state funding and felt that the time to do so for the bridge was now while their congressional delegation was in a position to aid the project by sending earmarks for it.  So when she said she told them thanks but not thanks... yea, after it became a political sink hole.  But she was for it before that lol.
http://www.reuters.com/article/vcCandidateFeed7/idUSN3125537020080901

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 07:01:55 PM »

Nothing... Like I said... an interesting omission of it not actually getting sold and the State having to take a loss on the jet.

Why not just keep it and fly it?

Maybe use it for some kind of relief effort or something.

Purge_WTF

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 07:16:56 PM »

A chromosome?

Brixtonbulldog

• Getbig V
  • TAKE YO FUCKING JACKET WIT YA
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 07:22:37 PM »
Who cares.  The principle is the point.. she tried to sell the jet on ebay.

Good job.  Let's move on.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 07:33:35 PM »
I think she posted it on Ebay like 5 times, had to go through a private broker eventually.

Last time I checked transportation vehicles depreciate in value, so a loss is inevitable.

TerminalPower

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 08:45:34 PM »
THat was a great move by her.  You gotta love her efforts and eventual success in returning money back to the people of Alaska.

Alex23

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008, 09:01:37 PM »
THat was a great move by her.  You gotta love her efforts and eventual success in returning money back to the people of Alaska.

Spoken like a true American.

TerminalPower

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2008, 09:22:09 PM »
Spoken like a true American.

Thanks for the compliment Brother.  Nicest thing anyone has said to me all day!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2008, 01:27:29 AM »
Who cares.  The principle is the point.. she tried to sell the jet on ebay.

Good job.  Let's move on.

I agree.