Author Topic: is an MBA necessary to open own business?  (Read 13930 times)

JohnnyVegas

Re: is an MBA necessary to open own business?
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2008, 08:41:30 AM »
Sorry, don't agree with "zero percent" do some reading.

Elite made a name for himself in the business world by working volume, and with BJ's at 25 cents Elite made a lot of cash  ;D

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2008, 10:43:34 AM »
I know for one thing I have done pretty good for myself and I barely graduated from high school.  I am pretty confident from age 25 to 40 I made about as much money as anyone here the same age and I had the time of my life with NO MBA (not even sure what it is) and no college.  I learned what I know by actually doing it not reading about it. 

Dreadlord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2008, 11:01:00 AM »
If you had one, you'd understand.

It lets you see higher level opportunities, and know what to do with them.  CEOs might not be MBAs, but they're surrounded by a team of MBAs and JDs ;)

Excellent point.

However an MBA is not always a pre-requisite for getting great ideas and discerning what to do with them. There are some amazing people all over the world who have built themselves up from virtually nothing. Mark Burnett (apprentice/survivor) is one. Alan Sugar (Britain) is another. Having said that -  not everyone has the good fortune of having the level of creativity/confidence/luck some extraordinary individuals possess. They are a minority.

Having the right educational credentials can open a lot of doors and helps catapult you into a different level of performance.

To reiterate what 240 said - Anyone who has an MBA is very much aware of the positive effect it has in their life and what it has done for them.

Harley Buckshot

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
  • Dismembered and molested
« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2008, 11:15:12 AM »
240 - I totally agree and understand where you are coming from, in regards to the benefits one can attain while going the extra length for the MBA. Perhaps its not necessary to own a business, but, i think it realistically prepares you to progress in whatever field you are interested in.

Thats kinda where im hangin now..

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2008, 09:44:54 AM »
I don't think you'll ever meet an MBA who thinks the degree wa a waste.

I have a teaching degree, it was a waste (although the skills are nice)
I have an AS is computer networking, I don't use it.
I have multiple computer certs (comptia and microsoft) which I don't use.

The MBA - I use every day.

qiniz

• Getbig II
« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2008, 02:37:37 PM »
Is it necassary to have at least 3 to 5 years of working experience (pref. on management level) to enroll in a MBA program in the States or Canada?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2008, 09:41:18 PM »
Is it necassary to have at least 3 to 5 years of working experience (pref. on management level) to enroll in a MBA program in the States or Canada?

only for Executive (fast-track) advanced MBA programs

D-bol

• Getbig IV
  • Its only hard if you make it hard.
« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2008, 03:33:12 AM »
interesting thread, would be nice to hear A23 or Xfactor perspective on this...

im hopin to get an MBA degree by the time im 30, are there any educated GB'ers on here?

I don't think the degree it can "teach" you to be a good businessman, but it surely teaches you alot of valuable skills, among which working with people is not the least significant one. Definitely not a waist.

now, the hardest thing about a decent b-school is getting in...i tried for 3 years before finally getting accepted...and GMAT is a real bitch!  >:(

Tyr

• Getbig IV
  • Head of deliverance
« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2009, 08:14:14 PM »
i am in an mba program now, no its not necessary to open your own business.

it is most useful for getting into upper management in a large firm.

Yes its good to get an MBA on your resume to move up the corporate ladder. If you want to focus on a specific area its better to get an MA.
Eg- An MA in finance as opposed  to a MBA. An MA is more quantitative while MBA is qualitative