Author Topic: In What Ways/Issues Do You Differ From Your Party Affiliation?  (Read 1050 times)

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
In What Ways/Issues Do You Differ From Your Party Affiliation?
« on: September 08, 2008, 01:39:45 PM »
REAL TALK

Some of you on this board appear unequivocally bought and paid for by the political party with which you most identify. I receive no pecuniary gain from the democratic party, although it is clearly the political party with which I most strongly identify. Putting aside the most extreme of left-wing views (for now), I can state few ways where I go against the grain of my democrat brethren:

*I believe in equal rights for gays/lesbians/transsexuals/hermaphrodites/squirrels, etc., but I do not believe in homo gay marriage. Marriage is between a man and a woman. Period. Civil unions are acceptable.

*I believe all known illegal immigrants should be given 48 hours to gather their shit, say goodbye to their friends and loved ones, and then be promptly deported. Companies that are found to knowingly employ illegal immigrants should face stiff fines and have the CEO and top executives face prosecution and potential jail time.

* I believe a 15 foot wall should be erected across the entire U.S.-Mexican border with barbed wire across the top.

* I am a firm believer in free trade, and do not adhere to the concept of protectionism as it relates to American business enterprise. To a large extent, BOTH political parties fall back on this concept when they believe it will garner them votes to a bitter and disillusioned constituency. However, it seems the democrats embrace protectionism to a greater extent, as they have long been the party of the working man. I have an MBA international business, however, even prior to my acquisition of this degree I long felt that globalization is both inevitable and a good thing. We are rapidly losing the manufacturing base from which this country was built and moving towards a service society as more and more jobs are outsourced. The genie is out of the bottle, folks. The American economy must diversify and innovate to create a new class of jobs for American workers. One of the best ways to do so would be to do what Thomas Friedman has been stating. Utilize the same brainpower that brought us the innovations in technology, Silicon Valley, and the personal PC to develop millions of "green jobs" with technologies that wean off our dependence on foreign oil. Let China have the opportunity to pollute the world for the next 30 years (as the U.S. has done for the last 50) to power their tremendous growth. When China realizes coal and fossil fuels are a thing of the past, we will be that much further ahead.

*I believe in God, I am a Christian, and I attend church on occasion. There are atheists in both parties, but republicans often promote themselves as the party of Jesus.  ::) Many lefties seem to resent any mention of religion and faith and do not go along with that.

Alright, that's enough from me for now. I could write more, but I have work to do and waste enough time here as it is. ;D Let's see if any of you have the courage of your convictions to go against your normal knee-jerk stance taken on this board. I am especially curious whether some of you republicans and/or devout Obama-haters have any independence at all in your thinking as it relates to the pertinent political and economic issues of our day.

!

tonymctones

• Getbig V
Re: In What Ways/Issues Do You Differ From Your Party Affiliation?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 01:50:21 PM »
I am actually pro choice, LOL actually i personally am extremely pro life, but that stems from a religious stand point and i dont believe that I should have the right to tell a non religious person what to do with their body and logically it would make no sense.

I actually dont think a wall would be a great idea, although i would like to see it there are other things i think that should be done.

I think that illegals play an important role in this country and see the hypocrisy of many conservatives that spout off how they are ruining this country and then use companies that employee illegals.

I am for civil unions, i dont know if you would consider that against my base or not but there are some who wouldnt even concede that.

good thread, now if ppl will actually be honest for once

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 02:10:03 PM »
bump come on ppl answer the question, this is the best thread that has been started in the past week.

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 02:50:54 PM »
I do not support the death penalty.

I do not support military bases overseas (necessary during the cold war but no longer). We are 9 TRILLION in debt and can not afford to police the world. Time for our "allies" to nut up and pick up the slack.

I support gay marriage although I do not condone homosexual or lesbian lifestyles. Your sex life is personal and private. Marriage is a religious institution. It has no business being dictated by the state.

I do not support the teaching of abstinence in public schools nor do I support "sex ed" and the distribution of condoms to children. Time for parents to be parents and accept personal responsibility for themselves and the kids they brought into the world. Turning to the state is not the answer.

I do not believe a wall across the border between the United States and Mexico is the answer. Just another symbolic failure that will not fix the problem. If you don't want ants in your house don't leave out the sugar! Any company or person found guilty of hiring illegals aliens should be subject to heavy fines, jail time or both.

I do not support the Patriot Act. Good luck getting any of the power and liberties back from the government once you have so easily surrendered them.

I do not support the progressive income tax. I support the Fair Tax Act but I'm open to the Fair Tax as a compromise.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 02:55:41 PM »
i am a repub, but i don't support unlimited borrowing, or lies to the people.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 03:54:25 PM »
I am politically a conservative!!!

I realize many of you have just given yourselfs whip plash from the double & triple takes, ...but it's true.  ;D

I am a conservative, ...but I do not believe it is possible to have a viable sustainable economy,
without a viable and sustainable ecology. The environment imo is not a partisan issue, it is a global issue, and spans party affilliations and national borders alike. Each country must recognize that it is a 21st century issue and needs a 21st century solution.

The conservative party has failed Canada on just about every issue they have touched in my lifetime, (including the environment) and in the short time they have been in power have now squandered the budget surplusses & prosperity bequeathed to them by the Liberal Party.

In this country, it has been the Liberal Party that has always successfully tacked the issues that needed to be addressed. I was not always happy about how they chose to do it, ...but they knew what needed to be done, ...and have always gotten the job done.

Our current Prime Minister has shown himself to be all hat and no cattle.

So, ...I always vote for the Liberal Party of Canada, cause they have what it takes to move my country forward.

w

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 04:00:58 PM »
I'm not sure where this puts me but here goes:

I do not believe in abortion, would not encourage anyone to get one, but i am pro-choice

I do not believe in a BIG government.

I do believe in some regulation in business.

I do support teaching sex education in public schools, but realize REAL education begins at home

I don't support civil unions ATM, but don't really care about gay marriages either way.

I do support bases overseas but more limited and fewer then they are now.

I do support requiring all in this country to speak passable English or face deportation.

I do not support wire tapping without a judge.

I do not support universal health care, but support government assistance for those who cannot afford it to battle the run away costs

I do not support irresponsible wars such as Iraq.

I do not support over taxing anyone for their success based on some idea of obligation.

I support government programs ONLY when they make financial/practical sense

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 04:22:07 PM »
Not all inclusive and some lines borrowed from Ozmo as he covers alot of ground

abortion...I'm catholic but honestly don't care as its not my call
Gays...u want to bang a dude, go ahead but don't promote ur lifestyle on me, parade it around, expect special treatment etc.....civil marriage only.
I do not believe in a BIG government. But that does not mean the Patriot act....the Threat is real.
I do believe in some regulation in business as regards making a fair and balanced to all
I do support requiring all in this country to speak passable English or face deportation.

Basing overseas should be expeditionary in manner and focus. Our bases here should be bigger to accomodate closed European bases. Our military should be expanded by 4 Divisions and both our Navy and Airforce massively upgraded. This does not mean billions wasted in shiny toys either.....we need the right mindset leading, with the next threat Id'd. We've got COIN down, we need to be prepared for the next war.

Massive cuts in foreign aid.....massive. That money pushed back toward domestic spending including a world class rail system and public trans system.

No universal healthcare......sensible reforms based on shooting people like Edwards who pray on sick people with ridiculous law suits, in other words, law suit caps. If ur poor under a certain amount, something should be set up, but people who can afford it, need to pay their share.

Massive cuts in gov spending on worthless programs.....if ur on welfare and don't work, we find u a job digging ditches, painting fences, picking up trash whatever.

We find alt fuels immediatly...all drilling on the table and we suck every available domestic source. We become the world leader in bio fuel production and development, period. Need a job, I;'m sure u could find one doing something there.

Public service should be manditory...not just military but u should have to give something back.

L

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 04:29:02 PM »
Not all inclusive and some lines borrowed from Ozmo as he covers alot of ground

abortion...I'm catholic but honestly don't care as its not my call
Gays...u want to bang a dude, go ahead but don't promote ur lifestyle on me, parade it around, expect special treatment etc.....civil marriage only.
I do not believe in a BIG government. But that does not mean the Patriot act....the Threat is real.
I do believe in some regulation in business as regards making a fair and balanced to all

Basing overseas should be expeditionary in manner and focus. Our bases here should be bigger to accomodate closed European bases. Our military should be expanded by 4 Divisions and both our Navy and Airforce massively upgraded. This does not mean billions wasted in shiny toys either.....we need the right mindset leading, with the next threat Id'd. We've got COIN down, we need to be prepared for the next war.

Massive cuts in foreign aid.....massive. That money pushed back toward domestic spending including a world class rail system and public trans system.

No universal healthcare......sensible reforms based on shooting people like Edwards who pray on sick people with ridiculous law suits, in other words, law suit caps. If ur poor under a certain amount, something should be set up, but people who can afford it, need to pay their share.

Massive cuts in gov spending on worthless programs.....if ur on welfare and don't work, we find u a job digging ditches, painting fences, picking up trash whatever.

We find alt fuels immediatly...all drilling on the table and we suck every available domestic source. We become the world leader in bio fuel production and development, period. Need a job, I;'m sure u could find one doing something there.

Public service should be manditory...not just military but u should have to give something back.

What do you think about the bases in South Korea?    Shouldn't we always keep troops there?   We have economic interests don't we?  Don't we get tungsten from South Korea?

I agree with your Foreign Aid stance too.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 04:34:03 PM »
Korea....headed there before Christmas anyway. We've pulled back south of Seoul and are consolidating many of our bases. We really don't have much. A unified HQ, an airbase and a nvy base. We have some stuff up north but are moving it south. We're there as a power projection platform....dealing with China and protecting Japan. We can do much more from Korea to protect Japan then we can from our bases on Japn, based on the two SOFA's.

We were pulling out of Germany but now we've moved stuff around. We're more lethal and less bloated there, but still a fair sized force.
L

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 04:35:46 PM »
Conservative BUT..

1. Staunchly pro-choice. There are enough kids in the world. Why bring more unwanted ones in?
2. Pro Alternative-energy. The dependence on petroleum in this country is rediculous.
3. Eliminate 80% of foreign aid. Look at how much goes to Israel, and they don't even allow a US base there! Also consider that just   about every nation in africa that received US aid has about a 100% default rate.
4. No federal borrowing.  If there isn't enough cash in the pot, then cut spending. Both parties are completely guilty of this because neither wants to say 'no' to anyone.
5. Build the gawddamn fence already. Saying the US 'needs' the labor is the same argument as saying the south 'needed' slavery. If the cheap labor was gone the industries that utilize it would adapt to the 21st century.

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 04:38:30 PM »
Korea....headed there before Christmas anyway. We've pulled back south of Seoul and are consolidating many of our bases. We really don't have much. A unified HQ, an airbase and a nvy base. We have some stuff up north but are moving it south. We're there as a power projection platform....dealing with China and protecting Japan. We can do much more from Korea to protect Japan then we can from our bases on Japn, based on the two SOFA's.

We were pulling out of Germany but now we've moved stuff around. We're more lethal and less bloated there, but still a fair sized force.

There is nothing in South Korea worth fighting China over. Taiwan either.  Japan better be paying the US dearly for protection for that matter.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 04:40:42 PM »
Israel is like a massive US aircraft carrier in a sea of nutbags.  We can't base troops there but we fly in and out, train with and do plenty of other stuff with them. Plus like with Iran, being there, giving them aid, ensures they don't pop off and nuke Iran.

Japan has a poor military.....so we're pretty much it. We support democracy and its in our strategic best interest to be there. China doesn't want a NK-US war, nor do they want to deal with Taiwan, but if they felt they could win easily they would go. 
L

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2008, 04:46:24 PM »
Israel is like a massive US aircraft carrier in a sea of nutbags.  We can't base troops there but we fly in and out, train with and do plenty of other stuff with them. Plus like with Iran, being there, giving them aid, ensures they don't pop off and nuke Iran.

Japan has a poor military.....so we're pretty much it. We support democracy and its in our strategic best interest to be there. China doesn't want a NK-US war, nor do they want to deal with Taiwan, but if they felt they could win easily they would go. 

Japan has a poor military because the US has been covering their asses defensively since WW2. We pay the bills while the Japs take their $$$ and do things like buy hawaii piece by piece.

I would tend to believe that China could have taiwan in no time a'tal if they were so inclined.  THe US would have 2 options.

1. Start WW3 over principle
2. Back off and look like pussies

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2008, 04:49:27 PM »
I was shocked at how poor their military is last year when we trained with them. I figured it would be all plasma TV's and robots.....they are very diciplined but very little cash.

Conventional wisdom about Taiwan is that it would be naval intensive(obviously) we would not strike mainland china, and we'd only try and defeat the naval and amphibious forces arrayed for that fight. Thats what I've seen based on exercise etc.

L

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2008, 09:37:16 PM »
I was shocked at how poor their military is last year when we trained with them. I figured it would be all plasma TV's and robots.....they are very diciplined but very little cash.

Conventional wisdom about Taiwan is that it would be naval intensive(obviously) we would not strike mainland china, and we'd only try and defeat the naval and amphibious forces arrayed for that fight. Thats what I've seen based on exercise etc.

Great.

That would be like trying to prevent the US from taking over Catalina Island, and you're coming from Austraulia.

A naval Vietnam.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2008, 08:52:43 AM »
There is nothing in South Korea worth fighting China over. Taiwan either.  Japan better be paying the US dearly for protection for that matter.

Other than it's tungsten.  China is the leading the leading exporter of tungsten.  If they cut us off, we'll need to S. Korea's.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2008, 08:55:04 AM »
They benefit us greatly....and we need them to ensure that we have some pull in the Pacific.
L