Author Topic: Bush shifting U.S. troops from Iraq to Afghanistan  (Read 1852 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Bush shifting U.S. troops from Iraq to Afghanistan
« on: September 09, 2008, 11:25:03 AM »
Bush shifting U.S. troops from Iraq to Afghanistan

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President Bush on Tuesday announced a troop deployment shift for America's two wars, a move that reflects a more stable Iraq and an increasingly volatile Afghanistan.

President Bush said Tuesday that he soon will start bringing some U.S. troops home from Iraq.

Through early next year, about 8,000 American troops will leave Iraq and not be replaced. Some 4,500 other U.S. service members will go to Afghanistan.

Bush also emphasized the U.S. intention to help Pakistan defeat insurgents who are using the country's tribal areas to stage attacks in Afghanistan.

"Iraq, Afghanistan and parts of Pakistan pose unique challenges for our country," Bush said Tuesday in a speech at the National Defense University in Washington. "Yet they are all theaters in the same overall struggle."

Bush said he is making the Iraqi troop withdrawal decision based on a recommendation from top military officers, including Gen. David Petraeus, the highest-ranking U.S. military officer in Iraq.  Watch Bush announce the troop reduction in Iraq »

"He and the Joint Chiefs of Staff have recommended that we move forward with additional force reductions," the president said, citing military and political strides in stabilizing the country and dramatically bringing down violence.

Bush adopted the entire recommendation from Petraeus, a senior military official in Iraq told CNN. The source said five people saw the plan before it went to the president.

In explaining progress in the war effort, Bush cited the "surge" offensive, winning the hearts and minds of Sunni tribes, Iraqi political reconciliation efforts, economic improvements, an improved Iraqi army leading the fight against Shiite and Sunni insurgents, and a return of hundreds of doctors who fled the fighting.

"Over the next several months, we will bring home about 3,400 combat support forces -- including aviation personnel, explosive ordnance teams, combat and construction engineers, military police and logistical support forces," he said. "By November, we will bring home a Marine battalion that is now serving in Anbar province. And in February of 2009, another Army combat brigade will come home.

"This amounts to about 8,000 additional American troops returning home without replacement. And if the progress in Iraq continues to hold, Gen. Petraeus and our military leaders believe additional reductions will be possible in the first half of 2009."

At present, there are about 146,000 U.S. troops in Iraq.

An adviser to Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki welcomed Bush's decision.

"We look at this step as a positive step that there is stability in Iraq, there is a real improvement in the security situation in Iraq and there is a real improvement in the capability of the Iraqi security forces in protecting and keeping the security in Iraq," said Sadiq al-Rikabi, al-Maliki's political adviser.

Democrats were less than enthusiastic about Bush's announcement.

The plan "may seem to signal movement in the right direction," but it "defers troop reductions until the next administration," said Rep. Ike Skelton, D-Missouri, chairman of the House Armed Services Committee.

"More significant troop reductions in Iraq are needed so that we can start to rebuild U.S. military readiness and provide the additional forces needed to finish the fight in Afghanistan."

Skelton said Iraq "cannot continue to overshadow other critical U.S. security needs."

"The effort in Afghanistan must move to the forefront and once again become our top priority," he said.

Democratic presidential nominee Sen. Barack Obama praised Bush for announcing additional troops for Afghanistan and "moving in the direction of the policy that I have advocated for years."

However, "we will continue to spend $10 billion a month in Iraq while the Iraqi government sits on a $79 billion surplus," Obama said.

"In the absence of a timetable to remove our combat brigades, we will continue to give Iraq's leaders a blank check instead of pressing them to reconcile their differences," he said.

Obama criticized the timing and scope of Bush's move.

"His plan comes up short -- it is not enough troops, and not enough resources, with not enough urgency," the senator from Illinois said of Bush's call for more troops in Afghanistan.

In his speech, Bush praised other members of the U.S.-led coalition, saying many of those nations will be able to end their deployments to Iraq this year. He said Australia has "withdrawn its battle group" and Polish troops are "set to redeploy shortly."

The president said Iraq and the United States will work "toward the conclusion of a strategic framework agreement and a status of forces agreement," pacts that will spell out the terms of their relationship.

"These agreements will serve as the foundation for America's continued security support to Iraq once the United Nations resolution authorizing the multinational forces there expires on December 31."

Bush focused his remarks just as strongly on Afghanistan, where al Qaeda and Taliban militants have been making a comeback.

"For all the good work we have done in that country, it is clear we must do even more," he said. "As we learned in Iraq, the best way to restore the confidence of the people is to restore basic security -- and that requires more troops."

He said that a Marine battalion of around 1,000 will deploy to Afghanistan in November instead of Iraq and that an Army combat brigade of around 3,500 will go in January.

Bush said the U.S. would make additional forces available in 2009 and called on allies to increase their force levels.

Bush said stepped-up insurgent efforts in Afghanistan have necessitated the increase of U.S. troops from "less than 21,000 two years ago to nearly 31,000 today."

He said these troop increases and those by allies, including Britain, France, Poland, Bulgaria, Romania, Australia, Germany, Denmark and the Czech Republic, have resulted in what he calls a "quiet surge" in Afghanistan.

Bush described challenges in Afghanistan that don't exist in Iraq.

"This is a vast country," he said. "Unlike Iraq, it has few natural resources and has an underdeveloped infrastructure. Its democratic institutions are fragile. And its enemies are some of the most hardened terrorists and extremists in the world."

He said Americans will help develop Afghan security forces and are improving efforts on the civilian side, adding more personnel to deal with issues of diplomacy, development, the rural economy and the fight against the drug trade.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/09/09/us.iraq.military/index.html

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Bush shifting U.S. troops from Iraq to Afghanistan
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 11:34:18 AM »
Obama called for this months ago.

Again, good work Dubya.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 11:45:31 AM »
Obama called for this months ago.

Again, good work Dubya.

So your saying he's an armchair General?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 11:54:50 AM »
So your saying he's an armchair General?

No.  I'm saying that a major part of Obama's platform was to remove troops from iraq and put them into Afghanistan.  He's been yapping about it since Sepetember/Nov of last year that I can recall.

Bush enacted something that obama called for a year ago.  Them's the facts.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 12:52:45 PM »
No.  I'm saying that a major part of Obama's platform was to remove troops from iraq and put them into Afghanistan.  He's been yapping about it since Sepetember/Nov of last year that I can recall.

Bush enacted something that obama called for a year ago.  Them's the facts.

So when my uncle is watching a football game and says the coach should get the QB to hand it off and the RB should run it up the middle since the team lacks strong DTs and the quarterback does hand the ball off to the RB and he goes up the middle, my uncle called the play, so since that is a fact I guess he deserves the credit, since he was "yapping" about it since the chips and dip fell in his lap at the start of the game.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 12:56:11 PM »
So when my uncle is watching a football game and says the coach should get the QB to hand it off and the RB should run it up the middle since the team lacks strong DTs and the quarterback does hand the ball off to the RB and he goes up the middle, my uncle called the play, so since that is a fact I guess he deserves the credit, since he was "yapping" about it since the chips and dip fell in his lap at the start of the game.

No.

A US Senator on the Foreign Relations and Homeland Security committees expressed his opinion that we should shift resources from one warzone to another in order to more accurately meet the goals of the war on terror - meaning, getting those who hit us on 911, instead of policing iraqi streets as they quell civil violence.

A year later, the Commander and Chief did what the Senator recommended.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 01:01:34 PM »
No.

A US Senator on the Foreign Relations and Homeland Security committees expressed his opinion that we should shift resources from one warzone to another in order to more accurately meet the goals of the war on terror - meaning, getting those who hit us on 911, instead of policing iraqi streets as they quell civil violence.

A year later, the Commander and Chief did what the Senator recommended.

So when Obama was looking through all the classified intel, while playing "Sink my Battleship" in order to gain some concepts of warfare, he realized that you just don't pull troops away from one mission, and place them somewhere else for another mission, right? So I guess when he said it a year ago, the fact stands that he knew more than Bush, and knew that the United States could just turn the other check and march to a new border.

Obama has said hundreds of things, the surge did not work, the surge worked, I don't agree with it, I think it's done a great job, yada yada maybe he can say a few more things and it will turn out to be what the Unitd States will eventually do.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 01:08:28 PM »
Sounds like you are running away from the subject again.

Was Obama ridiculed for suggesting we pull troops out of Iraq and send then to Afghanistan?

And now that's exactly what we are doing.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 01:17:26 PM »
So when Obama was looking through all the classified intel, while playing "Sink my Battleship" in order to gain some concepts of warfare, he realized that you just don't pull troops away from one mission, and place them somewhere else for another mission, right? So I guess when he said it a year ago, the fact stands that he knew more than Bush, and knew that the United States could just turn the other check and march to a new border.

Obama has said hundreds of things, the surge did not work, the surge worked, I don't agree with it, I think it's done a great job, yada yada maybe he can say a few more things and it will turn out to be what the Unitd States will eventually do.

You can create any CTs or alternative theories that you'd like.

Facts are facts.  Obama called for it.  Mccain chided him for it.  Bush did it.

Now, you can keep marginalizing yourself by changing the subject and creating vivid "what-ifs".  Or you can just accept the fact that neither Obama nor mccain will be right, or wrong, every single time.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 03:07:22 PM »
Sounds like you are running away from the subject again.

Was Obama ridiculed for suggesting we pull troops out of Iraq and send then to Afghanistan?

And now that's exactly what we are doing.

Nobody ridiculed him here or anywhere.....Who are u going to send...raise ur fucking hand if u've set foot in either country. Ok thats over with..next issue. No surge no extra troops to Afghanistan (Obama was against the surge).....plus again for the 9 millionth time.....u can only send infantry to Afghanistan....u can't send a Stryker Bde.....or an heavy Bde...ok fine without their shit sure...but come one. Also Our bases  Fobs etc are only so big. U can't get 10 pounds of shit into a 5 lbs bag. If the damm Nato allies would fight this would not be an issue.
L

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 03:13:03 PM »
Obama wants NATO to scale up their end of the bargain, how does he know he can do that when Bush has been trying to do it?

Currently there are 33,000 US troops in Afghanistan, about 14,000 of them in a 53,000-strong NATO-led International Security Assistance Force, you don't pack up and leave from Iraq and go to Afghanistan, you think the terrorists will stay because they have to pay off their mortgage? Take care of one problem, then move on to the next. 

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 03:17:23 PM »
Ozmo my rant was not against u...they're talking about it on Fox now as well.
Look AQI is packing their shit and moving to Pakistan.....but another thing, they only fight from April to October.....we are going into Pakistan to get AQ so thats something. Oh and Obama didn't come up with that either.
L

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 05:33:48 PM »
Ozmo my rant was not against u...they're talking about it on Fox now as well.
Look AQI is packing their shit and moving to Pakistan.....but another thing, they only fight from April to October.....we are going into Pakistan to get AQ so thats something. Oh and Obama didn't come up with that either.

It's all good HH6.  I have monster respect for you for doing what you do, even though i disagree with many of your view points.  My neighbor across the street from just got back from 4 months in Afghanistan.  Quite the TDY.  His poor wife, freaking out sometimes as they have 4 children!

All Obama has been is voicing his and other's opinions about how the war should be or have been conducted.

I think it' safe to say it hasn't been managed very well from the "mission accomplished" moment to now.     

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2008, 05:39:51 PM »
I sorta exploded and i used ur quote.......the media, Obama and the rest of the sheep including that idiot Reid assume we can just pick up our toys and move over to Afghanistan....its a different war entirely. We get most of our shit trucked in from pakistan for one thing.....the place sucks...the reasons are legion.
L

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2008, 05:44:12 PM »
Hey question for you:

Do they have 15 tanks in a company and 2-3 companies in a battalion in the US army?

Just curious.  Reading a book about Tiger Tanks  :)

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2008, 05:51:12 PM »
Great question......when I came in the Army in 1997  we had tank  companies per battalion with an HHC....3 platoons per company....4 tanks per platoon as well as the Cdr's and XO's tank so 14 tanks.....then the S3/Bn CDR and BX XO had a tank. Now u have 3 companies per BN and most guys who head to Iraq never roll the big boys. If u are ever in Kentucky near FT Knox, hit the Patton Museum. They Have a King Tiger that has a cut out showing the armor thickness...its a monster.
L

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2008, 06:00:16 PM »
Great question......when I came in the Army in 1997  we had tank  companies per battalion with an HHC....3 platoons per company....4 tanks per platoon as well as the Cdr's and XO's tank so 14 tanks.....then the S3/Bn CDR and BX XO had a tank. Now u have 3 companies per BN and most guys who head to Iraq never roll the big boys. If u are ever in Kentucky near FT Knox, hit the Patton Museum. They Have a King Tiger that has a cut out showing the armor thickness...its a monster.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Just the other day i was reading another book on German Tanks in WW2, and i kept seeing a picture of one that was credited from the "Patton Museum"  I looked it up and low and behold it's in Fort Knox!  My folks live 2 and 1/2 hours from there in Dayton.  So i called my Dad and plan to fly out in October sometime and spend the weekend there and visit the museum.  lol

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2008, 06:08:44 PM »
Damm I wish I was still there. I did some stuff for the curator from time to time, worked on tanks..provided troops to move crap etc...so I got to do the behind the scenes tour. U get to see all the crap they have in storage all over the place.....its amazing how much crap they have.
L

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2008, 07:34:18 PM »
HAHAHAHAHAHA

Just the other day i was reading another book on German Tanks in WW2, and i kept seeing a picture of one that was credited from the "Patton Museum"  I looked it up and low and behold it's in Fort Knox!  My folks live 2 and 1/2 hours from there in Dayton.  So i called my Dad and plan to fly out in October sometime and spend the weekend there and visit the museum.  lol

Have you seen the epidose on The History Channel on the tanks from WWII?

If you have, you know the add on that was built to make the tanks float to shore, did they put that just on the Sherman tanks?

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2008, 07:40:13 PM »
I don't know I but I think the brits had em to for their churchills so I'm sure they had kits for more then one tank.
L

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2008, 07:54:09 PM »
Have you seen the epidose on The History Channel on the tanks from WWII?

If you have, you know the add on that was built to make the tanks float to shore, did they put that just on the Sherman tanks?

I watched it long ago.  I'm not sure.  It was like an accordion skirt right?  The Sherman was real versatile for modifications