Author Topic: Should politcians be cast in a negative light because of family sins?  (Read 1178 times)

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
In the wake of Palin becoming VP nominee, I find it comical that the left has convienetly decided to ignore the sins of its own party members and their families.

Nobody even blinked when Al Gores son was arrested ( for the third time I think) for posession and dui in California. The Obama supporters knock Palin's fitness as a mother, when Obama himself was sired by a teen mother out of wedlock at a time when this country had a much harsher view of single moms. Bill Clintons brother was pardoned after being sent to prison for cocaine trafficking and I could spend two hours of non-stop typing going over the scandals of the Kennedy clan.

There are numerous examples by both parties, but this begs the question, how relevant is this stuff to a politicans ability to govern? In my opinon, it really isn't that important.

Your opinions?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Should politcians be cast in a negative light because of family sins?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 11:00:23 AM »
it's a tough call.

if Gore had used his son as a prop on a stage to talk about what a great job he did teaching the kid to be anti-drug, then the kid got busted for dope, it reflects negatively on Gore.

IMO it's when politicians try to legislate morality, or interject their kids into the spotlight, that it matters.  If Chelsea clinton got in trouble - after working as a hilary surrogate - sure it's news.  The bush twins - nobody's business, as they didn't seek spotlight or get involved in politics.  biden's kid is fari game - he spoke at DNC.  Mccains kids just did a big photo op in (people?) a big magazine.  palin and hubby and kids were interviwed by local news all year as she tried to garner nat'l spotlight for her vp ambitions. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 11:27:44 AM »
In the wake of Palin becoming VP nominee, I find it comical that the left has convienetly decided to ignore the sins of its own party members and their families.

Nobody even blinked when Al Gores son was arrested ( for the third time I think) for posession and dui in California. The Obama supporters knock Palin's fitness as a mother, when Obama himself was sired by a teen mother out of wedlock at a time when this country had a much harsher view of single moms. Bill Clintons brother was pardoned after being sent to prison for cocaine trafficking and I could spend two hours of non-stop typing going over the scandals of the Kennedy clan.

There are numerous examples by both parties, but this begs the question, how relevant is this stuff to a politicans ability to govern? In my opinon, it really isn't that important.

Your opinions?

I say by and large "no."  I don't think the fact Gore has a son who breaks the law, Bush had daughters who broke the law, and Palin has a daughter who got pregnant says anything about the ability of those people to lead, unless they displayed poor leadership at home.  In reality, we don't know what kind of parents they were behind closed doors.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 04:06:28 PM »

Nobody even blinked when Al Gores son was arrested ( for the third time I think) for posession and dui in California.

Al Gore was not running for office at the time. Gore was out of politics and in private life.

The Obama supporters knock Palin's fitness as a mother, when Obama himself was sired by a teen mother out of wedlock at a time when this country had a much harsher view of single moms.

Stop with the BS already. Both Obama's parents were legally married to each other when he was born.
It was a union during a time when your country had a much harsher view on interracial marriage.

Your opinions?

Having embarassing adult siblings as in the cases of Bill Clinton or Jimmy Carter is much different than having 5 kids.
Adults do not and are not responsible for the raising of their adult siblings, nor do they guide their paths.
Palin's oldest son (not so much), ...but clearly an out-of-control daughter, two younger daughter's and especially a special needs infant, to tend to and care for, does impact your ability to do any job. Compromises must be made. Something suffers in the bargain, ...and it's either your family, or your performance on the job, and most likely both. Anyone who says otherwise is either lying, or someone without a firm grasp on reality. Your kids and how you raise them, the person they turn out to be is indeed a reflection of you. The only time people acknowledge this is when their kids succeed, or progress down the path they wanted for them. When they screw up, the blame is cast elsewhere.
w

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 04:12:50 PM »
unless they displayed poor leadership at home. 

So her daughter is having unprotected sex, and posing with liquor bottles, and you still envision some possibility she is a good mom?

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 04:14:50 PM »
Yes... You are judged by the company you keep.

it's a tough call.

if Gore had used his son as a prop on a stage to talk about what a great job he did teaching the kid to be anti-drug, then the kid got busted for dope, it reflects negatively on Gore.

IMO it's when politicians try to legislate morality, or interject their kids into the spotlight, that it matters.  If Chelsea clinton got in trouble - after working as a hilary surrogate - sure it's news.  The bush twins - nobody's business, as they didn't seek spotlight or get involved in politics.  biden's kid is fari game - he spoke at DNC.  Mccains kids just did a big photo op in (people?) a big magazine.  palin and hubby and kids were interviwed by local news all year as she tried to garner nat'l spotlight for her vp ambitions. 

EXACTLY.

I say by and large "no."  I don't think the fact Gore has a son who breaks the law, Bush had daughters who broke the law, and Palin has a daughter who got pregnant says anything about the ability of those people to lead, unless they displayed poor leadership at home.  In reality, we don't know what kind of parents they were behind closed doors.

Apparently if your daughter gets knocked up at 17 unmarried and stupid... you're not a good parent.... You damn sure weren't paying attention... Especially with all the liquor bottle photos.

So her daughter is having unprotected sex, and posing with liquor bottles, and you still envision some possibility she is a good mom?

Not a chance.

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 04:19:30 PM »

Anybody want to bet there's some interesting pics of douche Mark's kids out there?  ;)

"nobody knows what goes on behind closed doors." ROFL.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 04:55:07 PM »
Anybody want to bet there's some interesting pics of douche Mark's kids out there?  ;)

"nobody knows what goes on behind closed doors." ROFL.

I believe it!

Afterall, isn't he the one who claimed his daughter's friend has had to take the morning after pill 3 times?

You remember the one, the one who had learned all about sex ed, but it was in a Christian school,
...so she was too dumb to even know how to put on a condom, and too young to have kids?

A teenager isn't ready to be a mom.  They can't take of themselves in most cases. 

Looks like BeachBum was derailing threads & acting like an idiot over a year ago. This is no recent occurrence.

Check out his homage to the Beverly Hillbillies.

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=164451.50
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 05:01:44 PM »

Of course. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2008, 05:02:53 PM »
I believe it!

Afterall, isn't he the one who claimed his daughter's friend has had to take the morning after pill 3 times?

You remember the one, the one who had learned all about sex ed, but it was in a Christian school,
...so she was too dumb to even know how to put on a condom, and too young to have kids?

Looks like BeachBum was derailing threads & acting like an idiot over a year ago. This is no recent occurrence.

Check out his homage to the Beverly Hillbillies.

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=164451.50

lol.  Says the twisted sister.  How many kids do you have? 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2008, 05:06:52 PM »
Of course. 

her mom let her have a myspace, where all these pics were posted.

what kind of mom doesn't check the kids' myspace pics for liquor pics?

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2008, 05:10:04 PM »
Hmm. in another thread Douche Mark was claiming that dysfunctional environments lead to poor decision making on the part of the daughter.  but now that the pigsty is the dysfunctional environment, we can't know what's going on.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2008, 05:12:44 PM »
her mom let her have a myspace, where all these pics were posted.

what kind of mom doesn't check the kids' myspace pics for liquor pics?

Who knows?  I don't know enough about their home life to conclude Palin had appropriate supervision or not.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2008, 05:15:18 PM »
Hmm. in another thread Douche Mark was claiming that dysfunctional environments lead to poor decision making on the part of the daughter.  but now that the pigsty is the dysfunctional environment, we can't know what's going on.

lol . . . This kid is such a little punk.  lol. . .  Maybe I can find someone to help him study for the bar?  I have a couple lawyer friends.

Let me know callous.  Maybe I can hook you up.   :) 

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2008, 06:58:31 PM »
Uh Jaguar, Obamas parents were not legally married. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. However, it seems to me Barry turned out ok.

Also, His sons first arrest was while he was still "in public life" and regardless Al Gore and his quasi- fictional documentary on the enviorment are to this day highly regarded and touted by the left. By your logic, if he decided to get back into politics tommorow it would be an issue, but if he stayed out of politics it isnt an issue? Are politicians afforded time-outs now?

It would seem to me being out of public life would mean more time to spend with your family and hence would demonstrate more failure as a parent as opposed to an arrest while in office or running for office.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2008, 08:07:40 PM »
Uh Jaguar, Obamas parents were not legally married. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. However, it seems to me Barry turned out ok.

I don't know what calendar you're using, or what direction it goes in, but on my calendar, Feb precedes August.

Obama's parents were married on February 2, 1961, and Obama was born on August 4, 1961, ...6 months later.

On what basis do you conclude their marriage was not legal?
w

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2008, 06:23:33 AM »
Jaguar, Obama has said repeatedly he was born to a single mother out of wedlock. I think I'l take his word for it instead of relying on your timeline.