Author Topic: DEADLIFT suit ?  (Read 4774 times)

brent2741

• Getbig IV
DEADLIFT suit ?
« on: September 12, 2008, 05:22:36 PM »
Do deadlift suits make a big difference in your poundages compared to without a suit. I've heard if you dead sumo they can make a big difference but im a traditional deadlifter with my feet closer together. Im thinking of buying a suit but wondering if it would make that big of difference with the way i lift.

hangclean

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: DEADLIFT suit ?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 01:11:53 AM »
Metal Deadlifter would be the best for you probably.  Suit helps most with speed off the floor.

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 02:47:30 PM »
King deadlifter is awesome!

Jason

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 02:59:26 PM »
I've heard that even with sumo, deadlift suits don't make a huge difference

brent2741

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 05:17:58 PM »

Jason

metal king deadlifter?

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 07:18:34 PM »

metal king deadlifter?

Yessir.  double with adjustable straps

Jason

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 07:19:15 PM »
I've heard that even with sumo, deadlift suits don't make a huge difference

Absolutely not true, ESPECIALLY WRT sumo pulling

Jason

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 09:11:25 PM »
From what I know a DL suit can give you 50lbs or so (conventional) but the confidence gained in knowing you are well protected is also important. I've asked many people about this and EVERYONE suggests the METAL King line.

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 05:22:42 AM »
Absolutely not true, ESPECIALLY WRT sumo pulling

Jason

Interesting. How much do you get out of a suit sumo pulling?

Would it be true to say you get more out of a squat suit than you would a deadlift suit?

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 05:36:53 PM »
Interesting. How much do you get out of a suit sumo pulling?

Would it be true to say you get more out of a squat suit than you would a deadlift suit?

I know a guy who gets over 150lbs on his dl wearing gear. H wears a karins denimto pull in

Jason

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 07:54:20 AM »
I know a guy who gets over 150lbs on his dl wearing gear. H wears a karins denimto pull in

Jason

Wow, I've never heard someone getting that much. He must have everything perfect

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 05:00:59 PM »

Jason

LOL.  I'd like to know how he does it. 

Deadlifts are my weakest lift.   I've tried several different suits (no METAL though) and I always get the same result.... I pretty much deadlift as much or more RAW than I do in gear. 

I do like the MaxDL because it feels as if I'm "protected" in it.  But I really don't think I'm getting much of anything out of it vs RAW

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 07:12:09 PM »
LOL.  I'd like to know how he does it. 

Deadlifts are my weakest lift.   I've tried several different suits (no METAL though) and I always get the same result.... I pretty much deadlift as much or more RAW than I do in gear. 

I do like the MaxDL because it feels as if I'm "protected" in it.  But I really don't think I'm getting much of anything out of it vs RAW

He had (his admission) very weak hips. You pulling conventional or sumo?

Jason

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2008, 01:51:12 PM »
They work great if you pull sumo.

i was actually weaker when i used one because it forced my hips forward too soon. this was for conventional pulling.

If you buy the Metal, invest in a pair of heavy duty pliers, you will need them to take the suit off.

i've seen a handful of guys get 50-100 out of a suit, but that is rare.

8)

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2008, 03:21:35 PM »
He had (his admission) very weak hips. You pulling conventional or sumo?

Jason
Yeah, I've got strong hips and legs...  I think my weakness is upper back--the lockout.  My grip sucks. 

I pull sumo in competition.  I simply can't get down to the bar to pull conventional.  My stupid arms and legs are both bigger around than they are long by a couple of inches and I've got a long torso relative to my limb length  (I'm 5'7", around 320ish---don't know, don't care, I'm a shw, I know it, I'll get weighed the meet).  I do pull conventional in training with the plates 2 inches off the floor but I don't do it with the prettiest of forms because of getting down to the bar. 

brent2741

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2008, 07:10:27 PM »
Yeah, I've got strong hips and legs...  I think my weakness is upper back--the lockout.  My grip sucks. 

I pull sumo in competition.  I simply can't get down to the bar to pull conventional.  My stupid arms and legs are both bigger around than they are long by a couple of inches and I've got a long torso relative to my limb length  (I'm 5'7", around 320ish---don't know, don't care, I'm a shw, I know it, I'll get weighed the meet).  I do pull conventional in training with the plates 2 inches off the floor but I don't do it with the prettiest of forms because of getting down to the bar. 

im just the opposite i can't pull sumo, my hips hurt when i flare my legs out. With the conventional stance (feet pretty close together) i feel right at home. It seems that i see alot of people pull big weight sumo but bolton and some of the other BIG deadlifters lift conventional so i guess it doesnt matter.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2008, 12:16:01 PM »

im just the opposite i can't pull sumo, my hips hurt when i flare my legs out. With the conventional stance (feet pretty close together) i feel right at home. It seems that i see alot of people pull big weight sumo but bolton and some of the other BIG deadlifters lift conventional so i guess it doesnt matter.

Same here...biomechanics.

I could never deadlift heavy when using a sumo stance. my hips and groin just couldn't take it. i have always been MUCH stronger when pulling conventional.

i'm 5'11" and i have long arms, so pulling conventional has always been more comfortable. i also squat with a shoulder wide stance, any wider and my strength is gone.

8)

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2008, 05:09:27 PM »
Conventional is just cooler  8) imo sumo looks shit. lol

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2008, 04:26:23 AM »

Jason
Hi Jason. Could you please tell me a good site to buy a squat suit? Thanx.
S

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2008, 07:45:58 AM »
Hi Jason. Could you please tell me a good site to buy a squat suit? Thanx.

what are you looking for? Metal gear is the leader in poly. Yo ucan get them at www.elitefts.com. If you are looking for canvas, check out the Inzer Leviathan at www.irongladiators.com.  IIRC You are from Brazil correct? Lifting in single ply? Shipping from EFS might kill you. try www.gometal.com if you want metal gear. Ken Anderson sells single ply Titan suits, which are much more prevalent than Metal is in Single ply (international) meets.  Try www.andersonpowerlifting .com  HTH

Jason

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2008, 09:35:24 AM »
what are you looking for? Metal gear is the leader in poly. Yo ucan get them at www.elitefts.com. If you are looking for canvas, check out the Inzer Leviathan at www.irongladiators.com.  IIRC You are from Brazil correct? Lifting in single ply? Shipping from EFS might kill you. try www.gometal.com if you want metal gear. Ken Anderson sells single ply Titan suits, which are much more prevalent than Metal is in Single ply (international) meets.  Try www.andersonpowerlifting .com  HTH

Jason
Thanx for the info! I will see what better suites me.
BTW I am from Portugal not Brazil  ;D
S

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2008, 06:52:20 AM »
Thanx for the info! I will see what better suites me.
BTW I am from Portugal not Brazil  ;D

I knew it was somewhere they spoke portugese!

Jason