Author Topic: Teens and ZMA...  (Read 2639 times)

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
Teens and ZMA...
« on: September 14, 2008, 01:03:08 AM »
OK, so i have been reading about ZMA lately, it sounds pretty good.

If you don't know already, I'm 19. I don't really give a shit about any strength gains, I'm just looking for a good supp that will help my sleep.

couple of questions...

*I'm cutting (Palumbo diet), training 4 days a week and cardio first thing in the morning most days, does that affect it at all?

*I've heard it may put you in a pretty deep sleep, what i want to know is will it make you "drowsy" in the morning (hard to wake up)?

*Main question, is it OK for a teen to take it?

For anyone who has taken it, please feel free to tell me any tips/recommendations/experiences you may have about ZMA. It would be greatly appreciated.
No doubt about it...

Cooker

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Re: Teens and ZMA...
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 05:28:56 AM »
Yes you can take it.

Yes it helps some sleep, personally I do not really notice any sleep benefits.

No it will not make you feel drowsy the next morning.

Give it a shot but there are other supps that can help with sleep and might be more effective.  A coupe might be, GABA, Melatonin, L-Theanine, L-Tryptophan, 5-HTP.  Not everyone will respond the same so some might work better than others for you.

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 07:58:46 AM »
gaba and melatiinin are great

i took daves nightime fat burner and my sleep was great

ive also taken zma-helped me get great sleep-my dreams were vivid though
w

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 12:17:31 PM »

If you don't know already, I'm 19. I don't really give a shit about any strength gains, I'm just looking for a good supp that will help my sleep.

couple of questions...

*I'm cutting (Palumbo diet), training 4 days a week and cardio first thing in the morning most days, does that affect it at all?

The fact that you are training is what matters. A big percentage of people who regularly partake in exercise, specifically weighttraining, are at risk for being deficient in zinc and magnesium. They are two essential and very important nutrients, so curing a deficiency in them has allot of benefits. Increased hormone production, increased rate of recovery..etc etc.  BUT these benefits only come from supplementation WHEN IN A DEFICIENT STATE. Benefits of 'supraphysiological levels' of these nutrients are not supported by science; However that doesn't mean they aren't any.  :)

*I've heard it may put you in a pretty deep sleep, what i want to know is will it make you "drowsy" in the morning (hard to wake up)?

Personally ZMA doesn't make me sleep better at all. Melatonin does, you should look into that if your looking for a sleep aid. Its all natural so don't worry about dependency.

Absolutely 100% safe.
For anyone who has taken it, please feel free to tell me any tips/recommendations/experiences you may have about ZMA. It would be greatly appreciated.

On a side note...drop that crummy palumbo diet !  :D

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 01:44:57 AM »
Yes you can take it.

Yes it helps some sleep, personally I do not really notice any sleep benefits.

No it will not make you feel drowsy the next morning.

Give it a shot but there are other supps that can help with sleep and might be more effective.  A coupe might be, GABA, Melatonin, L-Theanine, L-Tryptophan, 5-HTP.  Not everyone will respond the same so some might work better than others for you.

I'll look into those other products you mentioned.

Either way, ill try ZMA and see how it goes.

gaba and melatiinin are great

i took daves nightime fat burner and my sleep was great

ive also taken zma-helped me get great sleep-my dreams were vivid though

Yeah i've heard that a lot of people experience quite "vivid" dreams...

Would you consider the dreams to be a negative of zma, or just kinda weird?

On a side note...drop that crummy palumbo diet !  :D

Interesting info there, thanks.

Oh, and i like the Palumbbo diet. Seeing good results too  :)
No doubt about it...

nzmusclemonster

• Getbig V
  • Serenity Now!
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 03:55:28 AM »

Hows your lat spread coming along?
P

iron_dawg

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 06:21:28 AM »
I think ZMA is a decent supplement in regards to helping you sleep and waking up ready to go

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 10:12:42 AM »
I find I'm guaranteed 8 hours if I take it, although it doesn't necessarily help me fall asleep.  I find I'm more prone to oversleep with ZMA if I've stayed up too late and trying to get away with less than 8 hours.  I've always been a hard to get to sleep/ hard to wake up kinda guy tho.

How's the intensity under the bar?  I found I was good for only one intense set per movement when on low carb.  Agree the fat loss is accelerated tho.  Are you natty mate?

phemonmmill32

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 02:54:49 PM »
is proven to increase sperm count.. doubt you'll need that benefit being that you're nineteen... Bill Romonowski swears by the stuff.. like others said, there is better supps on the market if all you are looking for is a sleep aid

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 03:46:11 PM »

Oh, and i like the Palumbbo diet. Seeing good results too   :)
Thats all that matters.  :)

Its just that, IMO, I really dont think its an ideal way to eat for a hard training bodybuilder. I also think you would probably lose fat faster on a traditional bb'ing diet (high protein, moderate carb, trace fats)...although I do understand that dieting in ketosis is very enjoyable, while dieting on low carbs is a pain in the ass. If nothing else, you should at least lower your fat intake some.. Palumbo has his keto diet set up with far too high fat intake. All those extra fats do is slow down the lipolysis process. Its silly to try to use a keto diet to build muscle (which is why Palumbo has such a high fat intake).

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 05:34:25 PM »
Hows your lat spread coming along?

Getting there, slowly but surely...

I find I'm guaranteed 8 hours if I take it, although it doesn't necessarily help me fall asleep.  I find I'm more prone to oversleep with ZMA if I've stayed up too late and trying to get away with less than 8 hours.  I've always been a hard to get to sleep/ hard to wake up kinda guy tho.

How's the intensity under the bar?  I found I was good for only one intense set per movement when on low carb.  Agree the fat loss is accelerated tho.  Are you natty mate?

Intensity/strength has been quite good actually. I was kinda preparing myself to experience strength loss, but the actual decreases have been negligible.

And yeah natty  ;)

is proven to increase sperm count.. doubt you'll need that benefit being that you're nineteen... Bill Romonowski swears by the stuff.. like others said, there is better supps on the market if all you are looking for is a sleep aid

I guess i was a bit too quick to say i don't care about the other benefits. Yes a sleep aid is important, but if it helps with recovery/strength whatever, then that would be good too. I haven't taken creatine in 6 months as it does pretty much nothing for me...

Thats all that matters.  :)

Its just that, IMO, I really don't think its an ideal way to eat for a hard training bodybuilder. I also think you would probably lose fat faster on a traditional bb'ing diet (high protein, moderate carb, trace fats)...although I do understand that dieting in ketosis is very enjoyable, while dieting on low carbs is a pain in the ass. If nothing else, you should at least lower your fat intake some.. Palumbo has his keto diet set up with far too high fat intake. All those extra fats do is slow down the lipolysis process. Its silly to try to use a keto diet to build muscle (which is why Palumbo has such a high fat intake).

Interesting.

Yes I'm taking in less fats that what he reccomends and honestly its going pretty good. I think i just wanted to cut because i really needed too.

4 months ago i was 240lbs, now I'm about 209lbs...over 6 inches off the waist too.

I think when it comes time to cut again i may look into a different approach. Perhaps carb cycling or something like that...
No doubt about it...

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 05:39:25 PM »

4 months ago i was 240lbs, now I'm about 209lbs...over 6 inches off the waist too.

I think when it comes time to cut again i may look into a different approach. Perhaps carb cycling or something like that...

Good work !  I bet you feel like a million bucks. And sexy too.  :D

Ketosis makes caloric deficits psychologically bareable. Thats the one big positive. Otherwise I think its a wise decision to switch to a traditional bodybuilding diet. Carb Cycling would be a good option.  :)

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2008, 11:02:34 AM »

couple of questions...

Kid... at 19 you shoudn't give a shit to ZMA, get a girl, 12 beers and have a nice night...
S

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2008, 11:19:57 AM »
Kid... at 19 you shoudn't give a shit to ZMA, get a girl, 12 beers and have a nice night...
Nonsense.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2008, 12:02:48 PM »
maybe it will give you nightmares
Z

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2008, 07:15:49 PM »
Whatever....
S

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2008, 03:46:58 AM »

lol, yeh but i'm a sad fuck who doesn't even drink  :-\ :D

I have heard that people have vivid dreams when taking it. Might not affect me, and if it does i doubt it would bother me.
No doubt about it...

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2008, 05:23:01 AM »
ive tried it not sure it did much, maybe wanna calculate how much the cost is overall if you would use it for a year or so
Z

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2008, 05:29:01 AM »
ive tried it not sure it did much, maybe wanna calculate how much the cost is overall if you would use it for a year or so

yeah, i think i can get it for about $50 for 180 tabs which would last 2 months. not bad, but i guess thats another expense that eventually adds up...
No doubt about it...

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2008, 05:52:09 AM »
Well i just bought some online, so i'll probably try it out on monday. I'll keep you guys posted...
No doubt about it...

Get Rowdy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2008, 03:01:46 AM »
lol, yeh but i'm a sad fuck who doesn't even drink  :-\ :D

More booze for me then!  :D