Author Topic: My old employer keeps paying me  (Read 6412 times)

PUERTOROCKS

• Getbig II
  • Get big or die tryin
My old employer keeps paying me
« on: September 14, 2008, 08:04:01 PM »
Maybe you guys can help me out.  I quit my job in April to go to another Brokerage firm.  Since then,  my old employer keeps direct depositing "payroll" every 15th and 30th as if I was still working there.  I sent a few e-mails to payroll, but it still keeps happening.  I still have about 1/2 the  money they have paid me {about 20 grand total}  since I quit.  I doesn't make sense to me because I wasn't on salary,  I was paid hourly and had to fill out a timesheet every week.  Basically someone over there screwed up bad. 

If you were in my shoes what would you do?  ???  What is the worse that can happen??

Get big or die tryin!

spotter

• Getbig III
  • Off the Hook
Re: My old employer keeps paying me
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 08:24:15 PM »
Maybe you guys can help me out.  I quit my job in April to go to another Brokerage firm.  Since then,  my old employer keeps direct depositing "payroll" every 15th and 30th as if I was still working there.  I sent a few e-mails to payroll, but it still keeps happening.  I still have about 1/2 the  money they have paid me {about 20 grand total}  since I quit.  I doesn't make sense to me because I wasn't on salary,  I was paid hourly and had to fill out a timesheet every week.  Basically someone over there screwed up bad. 

If you were in my shoes what would you do?  ???  What is the worse that can happen??

"keep the money in an account, because you will still be responsible for paying it back"...."It is not like found money".... Contact him via certified mail...If he gave you a total of 20K, that is what you owe him, not half...... :-X

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 10:51:06 PM »
Lucky Fuuck....

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 11:51:22 PM »

you can go to jail.  don't spend the money, keep trying to correct the error, demand some reasonable compensation for the time it took you to correct their error.  but don't spend the money.

PUERTOROCKS

• Getbig II
  • Get big or die tryin
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 04:49:12 AM »
you can go to jail.  don't spend the money, keep trying to correct the error, demand some reasonable compensation for the time it took you to correct their error.  but don't spend the money.

What crime have I done?
Get big or die tryin!

spotter

• Getbig III
  • Off the Hook
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 04:54:04 AM »

What crime have I done?

"taking money that does not belong to you"   "Your former employer will not care that it was sent to you by accident"......."He will want his money back"! :-X

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 06:15:12 AM »

What crime have I done?

Keeping money that doesn't belong to you &/or you didn't earn. I suppose it would be classified as some sort of fraud.

Ex: Let's say my paycheck is $1000.00 a week. However, one week my employer sends me a check with the decimal point moved to the right two spots so I get a check for $100000.00 by mistake. Your employer would not let you keep the extra 90K & they would want it back. I think there was a story within the past year of someone going to jail for an error similar to that.

In a nutshell if you spend the money, try to keep it, &/or don't pay it back you're fucked. I know in Michigan if you steal more then 10K it's a felony that could lead to 10 years in prison.

PUERTOROCKS

• Getbig II
  • Get big or die tryin
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 07:32:57 AM »
Keeping money that doesn't belong to you &/or you didn't earn. I suppose it would be classified as some sort of fraud.

Ex: Let's say my paycheck is $1000.00 a week. However, one week my employer sends me a check with the decimal point moved to the right two spots so I get a check for $100000.00 by mistake. Your employer would not let you keep the extra 90K & they would want it back. I think there was a story within the past year of someone going to jail for an error similar to that.

In a nutshell if you spend the money, try to keep it, &/or don't pay it back you're fucked. I know in Michigan if you steal more then 10K it's a felony that could lead to 10 years in prison.

I'm definitely going to pay it back,  I have contacted them and HR is going to call me back.  Maybe I'll get lucky and they will write it off but I highly doubt it.  My former manager never reported my resignation to HR.  I'll let you guys know what happened.  Thanks for your opinions.

Get big or die tryin!

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 08:28:18 AM »

I'm definitely going to pay it back,  I have contacted them and HR is going to call me back.  Maybe I'll get lucky and they will write it off but I highly doubt it.  My former manager never reported my resignation to HR.  I'll let you guys know what happened.  Thanks for your opinions.

Good luck. If I were you I'd keep a "log" of your communications with the company about the matter. Just as a way if covering yourself. Since you only have about half the money I would try & come up with some sort of payment plan for you to pay it back.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 10:24:25 AM »
Use it to buy Lehman Brothers stock.

PUERTOROCKS

• Getbig II
  • Get big or die tryin
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 12:14:27 PM »
Use it to buy Lehman Brothers stock.

LOL.
Get big or die tryin!

spotter

• Getbig III
  • Off the Hook
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 05:40:47 PM »

reppin203

• Getbig II
  • they all talk fast but they all think slow
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2008, 03:57:05 PM »
I can tell you what I would do, lol. But you might now wanta listen cause I'm a sketchy dude.  I'd spend that shit but play stupid as hell if they ever catch on and say some shit like you never check your balance or your wife handles the money and she's a moron. Something like that. Worst case I can see is they still order you too pay it back as you can, but I doubt you would go to jail over their mistake and mutual carelessness. Or maybe I'd just give it back. Tough one.