Author Topic: Nutrition when not training  (Read 1117 times)

vic86

• Getbig III
  • bring back the 80`s
Nutrition when not training
« on: September 14, 2008, 11:34:46 PM »
can one maintain the same amount of calories when you are not training,eg- when you are recuperating from an injury,or a layoff, in past i used to drop my calorie intake and loose many pounds in 1 month time, lately i started avoiding starchy foods in my dietand eat quality protein .... any views?what kinda diet rigime u follow so that one dosent get that smaller with maintaining decent muscle???

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
Re: Nutrition when not training
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 10:18:08 AM »
If you're only taking a few weeks off you're not going to lose much unless you starve yourself or eat complete garbage.

If anything, you could probably get by on less protein and pick up the cals in quality carbs or fats.  Why stop training tho?

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 01:10:16 PM »
yeah why are you stopping training? you could probably keep the calories the same if you did a shitload of cardio.

vic86

• Getbig III
  • bring back the 80`s
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 01:21:13 PM »
im recuperating from my shoulder problem,which happened few weeks ago while i was travelling but still i continuied training which resulted in more problem causing joint space,ortho has adviced me to give it a rest for atleast month n half,n i have 1 more month to go, i think ill go with the same diet if im doing much cardio(which i normally dont do), Thanks for the reply

regards :)

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 01:26:39 PM »
im recuperating from my shoulder problem,which happened few weeks ago while i was travelling but still i continuied training which resulted in more problem causing joint space,ortho has adviced me to give it a rest for atleast month n half,n i have 1 more month to go, i think ill go with the same diet if im doing much cardio(which i normally dont do), Thanks for the reply

regards :)
you could probably still train legs and do cardio which should keep your metabolism and calorie burning up, just do hacks and leg presses instead of having the bar on your shoulders for squats.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 03:38:30 PM »
I eat the same on training days as I do on non training days. The one difference is my pre and post workout shakes. Thats it. 

Doing cardio wont really allow you to eat more without it being stored as fat, like weight training, cardio will just burn up some fat, so when you DO store some fat, the net effect is negated.

Personally, if I were you.. I would keep protein the same, slightly lower carbs, slightly increase fats. 

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 04:30:53 PM »
calories in vs. calories out...

if you stop training your caloric requirements drop. If you are looking to maintain muscle during a layoff, more calories would be better than less calories, but more than likely the excess will be stored as fat. Granted, a metabolism will have at some point reached "homeostasis".. but this can change rapidly.

If you were injured, your body would likely require more calories to repair the injury vs. just a plain "layoff"

There are ways to cycle your training with less intensity to at least maintain what you have. Too much cardio will chew into muscle if you are not training/stimulating it. Aerobic activity is never entirely aerobic--meaning, you will not just burn fat during the aerobic exercise.

If I were forced to "lay off", I would drop calories lower than when training intensely. I would not keep them the same. You have to eat according to your activity levels.

vic86

• Getbig III
  • bring back the 80`s
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 11:32:02 PM »
thanks guys!!! previously i was always worried about unwanted bulk,thats the primary reason i dint eat properly due which there was rapid weight loss which made me look relatively small,now im keeping the protein the same, some  carbs ,no starches, of course fat at a minimum level, seems this works for me currently.

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 08:23:27 AM »
thanks guys!!! previously i was always worried about unwanted bulk,thats the primary reason i dint eat properly due which there was rapid weight loss which made me look relatively small,now im keeping the protein the same, some  carbs ,no starches, of course fat at a minimum level, seems this works for me currently.

If you test your bodyfat on a regular basis, you can get a better idea of how the calories are affecting you through a layoff.