Author Topic: Olympia - Bring Back the Masters Olympia!  (Read 5989 times)

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Olympia - Bring Back the Masters Olympia!
« on: September 15, 2008, 09:37:36 AM »

From Lonnie Teper's blog... dated September 15, 2008

http://www.ironmanmagazine.com/blogs/lonnie/

Read a rather, ah, surprising response by Bob Cicherillo a few weeks ago to a thread started on getbig.com. Somebody asked why the Masters Olympia hasn’t been revived; Chick replied, from what I recall, that people did not want to watch a bunch of old guys in posing briefs on stage.

Say what, Robert? Like Darrem Charles and Toney Freeman, who just finished one-two in the Masters at the Atlantic City Pro? You know, the same competitors that placed third and fourth, respectively, to Open champ Melvin Anthony as well. And, we all know that the 42-year-old Freeman was the fave going into the AC after victories at both the Tampa and Europa last month. The same Freeman who won the IRON MAN Pro at 40 in 2007.

Speaking of Marvelous Melvin, he hits the 40 mark next year. So does Dennis James. Ronnie Coleman, of course, is four years past that number. Darn if a guy named Dexter Jackson isn’t rapidly approaching his fourth decade of life; Troy Alves is 42, Marc Lavoie, this year’s North American winner, is 41. And, Chick won his only pro show at the Masters Pro World a couple of years back at a ripe 40 years of age.
The 202 and under division has been implemented to “make things fair” for the smaller fella’s in the industry. Well then, why don’t we try to even things up a bit for the older dudes as well? Sounds like a terrific line-up would be assembled, one which wouldn’t result in fans clammoring “why are these old dudes still going on stage in posing trunks?”. And, while a Freeman or Charles–or even an Anthony or James for that matter– will never win the Mr. Olympia, they would have a great shot at becoming Masters Mr. Olympia.

As a matter of fact, Mike Valentino, who I feature in my News and Views column in the December issue if IRON MAN as the “Comeback Kid”, should be the first one yelling loud and clear to bring back the Masters O. The North Carolina State Chairman, who competed for the first time at the Tampa and Europa last month after earning his pro card six years earlier, says the 202 and under is the best thing to ever happen to the sport. Why? You’ll have to read the column to find out.
But, guys like the 45-year-old Valentino should be just as pumped up for a Masters 0 as for the lighter division; it helps to even the playing field, doesn’t it, Michael?

Actually, since people like Ronnie, Toney, Darrem, et al have proven that 40 really isn’t very old at all, especially in bodybuilding (look at the women bodybuilders; some of the finest in the game are near 50–or over, like Betty Pariso), let’s change the Masters limit to 45 and over while we’re at it; still a lot of outstanding physiques left to impress the fans. Just think of how many 45-year olds, who swear they are 39, would suddently admit to their true age :). Now, THIS is a topic worth discussion, not if 40 year olds should be classified as old geezers, and if they are of any interest to followers of the industry.

And, while I’m on the topic of Masters competitors, Kristy Hawkins asked me at the gym this morning (Gold’s, Pasadena) that, since I’m against crossing over in the 202 and under, would I be against the same situation regarding Masters competitions? Absolutley. The theme is the same–it’s inequitable to allow some inviduals the opportunity to win money in two different divsions. Why punish, in a sense, an athlete because they weigh 220 pounds, or are 30 years old? There are other logistical problems as well, but no need to go into that again.

On the other hand, don’t ask me where we’d fit the Masters Olympia into the already crowded scene at the Olympia Weekend. And, come up with the extra prize money needed for the extra category. That would be (another) task for AMI’s Robin Chang, who is head of production for the event. Hey, that’s why Robin gets paid the big bucks. And, I’m not passing the buck, either. Well, maybe I am.

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
Re: Olympia - Bring Back the Masters Olympia!
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 09:43:26 AM »
good thread ron

i agree we the fans would love to see the masters olympia-i dont know what possessed bob to say that-maybe next time he should think before he speaks

but what do we know?-all we do is buy the tickets and support the sport...i guess were just the peanut gallery
w

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 09:45:17 AM »
good thread ron

i agree we the fans would love to see the masters olympia-i dont know what possessed bob to say that-maybe next time he should think before he speaks

but what do we know?-all we do is buy the tickets and support the sport...i guess were just the peanut gallery

What Bob meant to say was no one wants to see him in posing briefs on stage.  :(

McFarland

• Getbig V
  • Tastes Like WINNING
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 09:46:32 AM »
I met a guy the other day that was on a powerlifting team at a college that Lonnie served as a coach for.  You should have heard him talk about him; he absolutely loved the guy, total respect.  Lonnie apparently lives this stuff and always has.  It was odd because I met him right after reading that thread about Lonnie's resume.      

bigtraps

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 09:47:27 AM »
Let's see.  I was at the last Maters Olympia in Charlotte NC, and I'd say there were a lot of people there that wanted to see old men.  Matter of fact, it was SOLD OUT, and at one of the nicest venues in Charlotte.  It was actually a pretty entertaining show.

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 09:53:30 AM »

So the question is whether you have the Master's Olympia with the Olympia Weekend festivities, or have it has a seperate event at a different time...

And if it is called the Master's Olympia, does it mean you need to be qualified for it, or have been qualified for the Olympia in the past.

At the Olympia weekend, they pay each qualified competitor their flights, hotel rooms, foods and more... that can equal to about $2,500-3,000 or more per competitor.  Multiply that by close to 90 competitors right now for the Olympia, and that is a hefty bill just to bring the competitors there.

Trev

• Getbig IV
  • Bodybuilding The Old School Way - Train, Eat, Rest
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 09:56:44 AM »
I TOTALLY agree - The Masters could be held as part of the Mr Olympia event if they are worried about costs and would be a huge draw. These days the masters look more appealing than the open guys. Look at Vince Taylor, Dareem Charles etc etc - REAL Muscle rather than bloat, Oil and distended guts.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 09:56:52 AM »
Great post.

Bring back the masters Olympia!  Have to decide whether it should be 40 & over or 45 & over.  I agree with the 45 & over.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 09:59:45 AM »
Lonnie only MAKES my point, by listing the likes of Melvin, Toney, etc.....IT'S THE SAME LINE-UP AS THE "OPEN".

All of the exsisting crew is close if not over, 40...with a few exceptions. Basically, all were doing then is having ANOTHER sub division and giving out more money to the same guys.

No promoter is going for this, and no...the masters (traditionally) doesn't draw any more fans/ money.

Bottom line is this...if the Masters was a draw, if there was enough interest, and most importantly...if there was any MONEY to be made there....promoters would have been all over it a looooong time ago.

Trev

• Getbig IV
  • Bodybuilding The Old School Way - Train, Eat, Rest
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 10:00:32 AM »
Great post.

Bring back the masters Olympia!  Have to decide whether it should be 40 & over or 45 & over.  I agree with the 45 & over.
I would go with 45 or even 50. 40 is too young these days in this sport.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 10:07:24 AM »
Lonnie only MAKES my point, by listing the likes of Melvin, Toney, etc.....IT'S THE SAME LINE-UP AS THE "OPEN".

All of the exsisting crew is close if not over, 40...with a few exceptions. Basically, all were doing then is having ANOTHER sub division and giving out more money to the same guys.

No promoter is going for this, and no...the masters (traditionally) doesn't draw any more fans/ money.

Bottom line is this...if the Masters was a draw, if there was enough interest, and most importantly...if there was any MONEY to be made there....promoters would have been all over it a looooong time ago.
true bob,it would have to be on a diffrent date or venue,not same day or wkend,no crossovers ,standed on own merit.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 10:10:18 AM »
true bob,it would have to be on a diffrent date or venue,not same day or wkend,no crossovers ,standed on own merit.

Exactly...and on it's own merit...there isn't enough interest to sustain it, or make it profitable.

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 10:11:41 AM »

Chick, maybe this has been brought up, apologies if it has BUT what if it was already included within a show. Venue has already been paid for and charge a few extra dollars for tickets....YOu have Mr "O" tickets, for $10 more see the Masters kind of thing...

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2008, 10:13:41 AM »
Chick, maybe this has been brought up, apologies if it has BUT what if it was already included within a show. Venue has already been paid for and charge a few extra dollars for tickets....YOu have Mr "O" tickets, for $10 more see the Masters kind of thing...

It's AT LEAST another $20K out of the promoters pocket just in purse....no way in hell enough ADDITIONAL fans buy tickets to justify it.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2008, 11:50:08 AM »
It's AT LEAST another $20K out of the promoters pocket just in purse....no way in hell enough ADDITIONAL fans buy tickets to justify it.
and other variable expenses,additional banners,photographers even tho they will shoot the same bber 3 times if he's good at 202,crossover to open if qualified and lol..he's over 40...you'll get see him dry,flat,carbed better for open,smooth for masters,imagine that in  3 days thats a long weekend.could happen if someone was crazy to promote it.

sgt. d

• Getbig V
  • Don't tase me bro
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2008, 11:58:09 AM »
Chick will owned the Masters

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2008, 12:03:28 PM »
The only time the masters mattered was when Bob was in it.....and they still screwed that one up .... (right Rusty?)
L

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2008, 12:10:30 PM »
Money drives everything.  Understood.

Still would like to see it and I bet a lot of the guys (45 & over) would do it for low prize $.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2008, 12:41:58 PM »
The only time the masters mattered was when Bob was in it.....and they still screwed that one up .... (right Rusty?)
VINCE TAYLOR WON MANY OF TIMES....

Rich2

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2008, 01:02:25 PM »
i agree with Bob on this one.  also, on a side note, the sport has done a better job lately of appealing to younger fans (with the likes of Wolf, Heath, Flex Lewis, etc).  i don't know if having half of your Olympia top ten in a 40-and-over contest would look so great.  Who knows if they'd even do it?  (i thought Toney entering the AC Masters was a mistake from the beginning.  he's practically slumming, and should stick to open events)